M70 safari express rechamber to 416 Rigby

Rubi_300

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
Pheasants Forever, Freemasons, Safari Club International, O.G.C.A.
I can’t find much on here or google about the topic so I figured someone on here has to know. Looking into a custom rifle after finding out the new John Rigby rifles aren’t even made in England so I don’t want to go that route anymore.

is it possible to rechamber a m70 that’s currently in 416 rem mag to 416 rigby? I haven’t seen any m70’s in a rigby so I’m assuming there’s a reason for that.

I’m still on a quest to find my vision of a perfect big bore bolt gun. The English makers aren’t making them the traditional ways anymore but still demand a hefty price. Open to going full custom with an American builder but I love the m70 so if it possible to turn one into a 416 rigby that would be the ideal rifle. I’m aware of the RSM that I can get in a rigby but they are so hit or miss on if the receiver will turn purple or not.

I can’t find much on here or google about the topic so I figured someone on here has to know. Looking into a custom rifle after finding out the new John Rigby rifles aren’t even made in England so I don’t want to go that route anymore.

is it possible to rechamber a m70 that’s currently in 416 rem mag to 416 rigby? I haven’t seen any m70’s in a rigby so I’m assuming there’s a reason for that.

I’m still on a quest to find my vision of a perfect big bore bolt gun. The English makers aren’t making them the traditional ways anymore but still demand a hefty price. Open to going full custom with an American builder but I love the m70 so if it possible to turn one into a 416 rigby that would be the ideal rifle. I’m aware of the RSM that I can get in a rigby but they are so hit or miss on if the receiver will turn purple or not.
Rigbys are made in England on barreled actions from Mauser. As far as British bolt guns go I believe the overwhelming majority are made and have always been made on foreign actions/barreled actions.. Mostly German. Historically speaking a Rigby bolt action rifle built in England on a barreled action from Mauser is about as classic as you can get with modern improvements.

I have never handled one; however, have seen a handful of Model 70s in Rigby over the years on guns international etc. In for discussion of the knowledgeable.

I believe the Winchester custom shop made a few, like 2 or 3. I've heard of very few others. I think there's a reason for that - everything has to be redone on the action to make it work and then it needs luck.

Rigby always used german-made barelled actions to my knowledge. I think until the recent buyout by Blaser they used some Mayfair actions, which would have made them the most English Rigbys ever.

If you want a 416 Rigby, your best bet is a true magnum mauser, if you are a true model 70 man, stick with your 416 Rem. Or if you hate the Rem name, rechamber to Hoffman and the class factor instantly increases.

I believe the action is not large enough to accommodate the 416 Rigby. Also not sure the bolt face can opened up that much.
That’s what I was assuming, did Winchester ever make a m70 action big enough to handle the rigby?

Rigbys are made in England on barreled actions from Mauser. As far as British bolt guns go I believe the overwhelming majority are made and have always been made on foreign actions/barreled actions.. Mostly German. Historically speaking a Rigby bolt action rifle built in England on a barreled action from Mauser is about as classic as you can get with modern improvements.
That’s what I read on their website and if true then I’d want to go with a rigby. I was told by a friend who is into them more than I am that they are made in the blaser plant. Not sure which is true. I just want a traditionally made English big bore bolt gun. I wouldn’t mind a vintage rigby but I haven’t seen one for sale in my few months of looking.

what is your take on the new rigby big game rifles?

I believe the Winchester custom shop made a few, like 2 or 3. I've heard of very few others. I think there's a reason for that - everything has to be redone on the action to make it work and then it needs luck.

Rigby always used german-made barelled actions to my knowledge. I think until the recent buyout by Blaser they used some Mayfair actions, which would have made them the most English Rigbys ever.

If you want a 416 Rigby, your best bet is a true magnum mauser, if you are a true model 70 man, stick with your 416 Rem. Or if you hate the Rem name, rechamber to Hoffman and the class factor instantly increases.
What I want is a Mauser action rigby just not sure what’s currently being produced. They claim Mauser actions but want to be sure it isn’t something that’s rolling down the blaser production line when spending that much money on one. I do like the Mauser rifles. They are still in the price range of a rigby. It’s something I’d need to have in my hands to decide between the two.

I am a true m70 guy but also don’t want to sink a ton of money into a gun that’ll be worth nothing down the road. Rather buy a rigby or Mauser that’ll at least retain some value.

That’s what I read on their website and if true then I’d want to go with a rigby. I was told by a friend who is into them more than I am that they are made in the blaser plant. Not sure which is true. I just want a traditionally made English big bore bolt gun. I wouldn’t mind a vintage rigby but I haven’t seen one for sale in my few months of looking.

what is your take on the new rigby big game rifles?
By all accounts the big game rifles are great. And the highland stalker as well. For peace of mind I would contact Rigby directly and voice my concerns. There is an English rifle in 416 Rigby on guns international right now. It’s not a Rigby and I would definitely do some more digging on it but it’s from a small maker who I believe made their own actions.

What I want is a Mauser action rigby just not sure what’s currently being produced. They claim Mauser actions but want to be sure it isn’t something that’s rolling down the blaser production line when spending that much money on one. I do like the Mauser rifles. They are still in the price range of a rigby. It’s something I’d need to have in my hands to decide between the two.

I am a true m70 guy but also don’t want to sink a ton of money into a gun that’ll be worth nothing down the road. Rather buy a rigby or Mauser that’ll at least retain some value.

You haven't said and no one has asked, but if cost is less of a concern than what you want - you have plenty of options. Meaning Smithson, MNR, satterlee, etc. all are fantastic makers whose work is probably better than the current Rigby.

You haven't said and no one has asked, but if cost is less of a concern than what you want - you have plenty of options. Meaning Smithson, MNR, satterlee, etc. all are fantastic makers whose work is probably better than the current Rigby.
Price isn’t a main concern but that said I’m not in the market for a 6 figure gun lol. Something around 15-20k. I know I won’t be satisfied with an off the shelf rifle it’s just the way I am. With that budget though if I can get something quality and to my desires for less then that I’m all about it. I don’t want to pay for dumb stuff just want a quality traditional big bore bolt action. I haven’t heard of those makers before so I’ll have to look into them.

Price isn’t a main concern but that said I’m not in the market for a 6 figure gun lol. Something around 15-20k. I know I won’t be satisfied with an off the shelf rifle it’s just the way I am. With that budget though if I can get something quality and to my desires for less then that I’m all about it. I don’t want to pay for dumb stuff just want a quality traditional big bore bolt action. I haven’t heard of those makers before so I’ll have to look into them.

Ok you’ve got a good chunk of change for a sweet rifle! Yes, you may like Joe Smothsons work. He has an incredible scope system rhat maintains the clean double-square bridges on a Mauser. Very unique. Westley Richards and some other English makers are using them too. His stock design is excellent.

Lon Paul is another maker whose work is stunning.

Stuart Satterlee actually makes his own Mauser 98 actions, so he is a unique builder who does absolutely everything on a rifle.

It’s always fun spending other people’s money ;-)

good luck.

Ok you’ve got a good chunk of change for a sweet rifle! Yes, you may like Joe Smothsons work. He has an incredible scope system rhat maintains the clean double-square bridges on a Mauser. Very unique. Westley Richards and some other English makers are using them too. His stock design is excellent.

Lon Paul is another maker whose work is stunning.

Stuart Satterlee actually makes his own Mauser 98 actions, so he is a unique builder who does absolutely everything on a rifle.

It’s always fun spending other people’s money ;-)

good luck.
I’ve never had a custom rifle made so how far does that price range get me? I don’t want a museum looking rifle just something with decent wood and nicely polished steel. Quality is the main thing here rather than looks.

That’s what I was assuming, did Winchester ever make a m70 action big enough to handle the rigby?

Not to my knowledge.

If you are doing this for nostalgia sake I get it. Honestly your model 70 in 416REM will put anything down that walks this earth. You can spend the money on a nice buffalo hunt and have money left over with the deal.

Everyone has their fancy, so I'm not going to try to talk you out of anything. One thing I will say and some people think like me and some don't. If you take a spill with a rifle that cost 15k+ on the rocks, are you going to be okay with it? Not that it will happen just something that could. To some it doesn't matter. I have said this before when hunting with my model 70 I was not worried about busting brush. My Dakota Arms well I noticed myself worrying about it a little more. Just food for thought.

Not to my knowledge.

If you are doing this for nostalgia sake I get it. Honestly your model 70 in 416REM will put anything down that walks this earth. You can spend the money on a nice buffalo hunt and have money left over with the deal.

Everyone has their fancy, so I'm not going to try to talk you out of anything. One thing I will say and some people think like me and some don't. If you take a spill with a rifle that cost 15k+ on the rocks, are you going to be okay with it? Not that it will happen just something that could. To some it doesn't matter. I have said this before when hunting with my model 70 I was not worried about busting brush. My Dakota Arms well I noticed myself worrying about it a little more. Just food for thought.
That’s a very good point. After a few weeks of crying I would probably recover to a manageable level lol.

it’s entirely for nostalgia wanting to go this route. Having my name in the rigby ledgers and all that other cool stuff I really enjoy and to me is worth the money. I rarely sell guns so this is something I’d like to pass down through the generations. I like the rigby because of the name and tradition. With that said I am hearing conflicting views on quality and if you are really getting a “rigby” or a blaser gun with a rigby stamp. If it’s just a blaser with a rigby stamp then I would be real interested in going a different route. These rifles aren’t cheap so don’t want to get hosed over a name. If the name is there and the quality that’s what I want.

There

what is your take on the new rigby big game rifle

Don't just look at Rigby if you want an English rifle (I refuse to call them a gun, a gun is a shotgun, or a handgun, or heavy naval/artillery item!). WR, Purdey, and more. Then as suggested, talk at length to a top U S custom builder; GMA action (well into 5 figures, perfect!) You have so many choices; I wish you the very best in your search.

According to the records that I have, 159 of the original Rigby .416R Dangerous Game Rifles were built using both the long single and double square bridge Mauser Magnum action. I have read that orders were filled for a period of time using other actions from various makers.

If you find an original be prepared to pay $40,000.00 to $60,000.00.

Depending on what you really what to do, do not rule out the 550 or 602 CZ action especially if you can find one that was originally chambered in .416R.

A custom rifle will usually have its most value to the person who had it built, seldom do they go up in value especially if the gunsmith that built it is still alive and building rifles.

Lon

I just did a bit of checking, a certain amount of early Rigby .416R were built using the BRNO and the Enfield P-17 action. I am fairly sure that there were others made with some using the Brevex Mauser action.

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,