M70 feed rails

Bignut

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,
I just received a 375 left hand h&h model 70 today. Upon inspection, I found a bend in the feed rail. It is bent at a downward angle. The bolt still functions, but I'd like a bit of advice on my next step. If it was a right hand rifle I'd simply send it back, but left hand rifles in these calibers are hard to find.

A pic would be helpful but... it can be bent back. I once ham-fistedly bent the rail on one, tapping it out of the stock after bedding. Mine was bent to the point of jamming the bolt travel. Thing to do depending on the direction of the bend, is slowly tapping the bend out with a dowel of some sort and light tapping with a light hammer of some sort. Just go slow until the bolt travels smoothly again. If not comfortable with that, take it to a smith or send it in to Win and let them do it.

A pic would be helpful but... it can be bent back. I once ham-fistedly bent the rail on one, tapping it out of the stock after bedding. Mine was bent to the point of jamming the bolt travel. Thing to do depending on the direction of the bend, is slowly tapping the bend out with a dowel of some sort and light tapping with a light hammer of some sort. Just go slow until the bolt travels smoothly again. If not comfortable with that, take it to a smith or send it in to Win and let them do it.
I'm comfortable trying, I just wasn't sure how brittle the metal is. Thanks for the reply! I can deal with a little since the price was very good. Just would have expected a little better description from Cabela's

I've had to straighten them before and the metal is not very brittle. The only issue is that once the metal is bent, even if straightened back it has gained a little length thus it will never straighten back perfectly... and will always have a little wave in it. Depending on the model, if it is the rail over which the anti-bind slit on the bolt head fits, the correction will have to be fairly precise for smoothest bolt travel. Restrained and controlled use of a small hammer, flat brass punch and a piece of hardwood should work. Also, the anti-bind rail on a right hand M 70 (post 64 CRF with the anti-bind design) is on the right side and runs in a slot on the right side bolt lug. I assume the anti-bind rail would be the left side on a left hand rifle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,