M70 feed rails

Bignut

AH veteran
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
121
Reaction score
144
Location
New England
Media
2
Member of
NRA,
I just received a 375 left hand h&h model 70 today. Upon inspection, I found a bend in the feed rail. It is bent at a downward angle. The bolt still functions, but I'd like a bit of advice on my next step. If it was a right hand rifle I'd simply send it back, but left hand rifles in these calibers are hard to find.
 
A pic would be helpful but... it can be bent back. I once ham-fistedly bent the rail on one, tapping it out of the stock after bedding. Mine was bent to the point of jamming the bolt travel. Thing to do depending on the direction of the bend, is slowly tapping the bend out with a dowel of some sort and light tapping with a light hammer of some sort. Just go slow until the bolt travels smoothly again. If not comfortable with that, take it to a smith or send it in to Win and let them do it.
 
A pic would be helpful but... it can be bent back. I once ham-fistedly bent the rail on one, tapping it out of the stock after bedding. Mine was bent to the point of jamming the bolt travel. Thing to do depending on the direction of the bend, is slowly tapping the bend out with a dowel of some sort and light tapping with a light hammer of some sort. Just go slow until the bolt travels smoothly again. If not comfortable with that, take it to a smith or send it in to Win and let them do it.
I'm comfortable trying, I just wasn't sure how brittle the metal is. Thanks for the reply! I can deal with a little since the price was very good. Just would have expected a little better description from Cabela's
 
I've had to straighten them before and the metal is not very brittle. The only issue is that once the metal is bent, even if straightened back it has gained a little length thus it will never straighten back perfectly... and will always have a little wave in it. Depending on the model, if it is the rail over which the anti-bind slit on the bolt head fits, the correction will have to be fairly precise for smoothest bolt travel. Restrained and controlled use of a small hammer, flat brass punch and a piece of hardwood should work. Also, the anti-bind rail on a right hand M 70 (post 64 CRF with the anti-bind design) is on the right side and runs in a slot on the right side bolt lug. I assume the anti-bind rail would be the left side on a left hand rifle.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,298
Members
169,335
Latest member
Mark225
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top