Looking for the best New Mexico Pronghorn/Oryx Guide

DIY hunts for deer and elk in the Rocky Mountains is relatively cheep. Guides are not required except for wilderness areas in Wyoming.

OTC tags for both elk and deer can be had in Montana and Idaho. OTC elk tags can be bought in Utah and Colorado with Utah having a limited number to sell
DIY western hunts really aren’t cheap at all for a non-resident. The cost of non-resident tags, lodging, supplies, flying and renting a car or driving half way across the country for a very low chance of success for several years until you learn to hunt a completely new area and new methods of hunting. I really think guided hunts are a much better deal unless a person wants to put in time to hunt area year after year.

Heed what @Mark haynes posted. Also if you have deep pockets and/or are a-hole buddies with Ted Turner you can do the full monte on the Armendaris and across the river on the Ladder. :)

DIY western hunts really aren’t cheap at all for a non-resident. The cost of non-resident tags, lodging, supplies, flying and renting a car or driving half way across the country for a very low chance of success for several years until you learn to hunt a completely new area and new methods of hunting. I really think guided hunts are a much better deal unless a person wants to put in time to hunt area year after year.
Never did say that they were cheap and easy.

Most hunters already have the equipment for camping and don't stay in motels except for the night before heading home for a nice hot shower.

Tags are also expensive, but you need them even if you hire a outfitter. Outfitters also have access to private land and landowner tags, but expect to pay a premium for those tags.

I hunt three or four other states every year and really enjoy the experience of hunting them unguided.

I had someone on this forum help me take my first western hunt(antelope) and would be happy to help you out. Wyoming is place to be and antelope tag is ~350$ and there are areas you can draw with no points. $50 hotels, rental car, cheap flight. I can drive up from TX so it’s even cheaper for me.
Happy to give any details you want and units you’ll draw easiest just to kill an antelope (no record book critters) pm me if interested

i hunted area 6 in wyoming and shot two pronghorn, true non trophy,s but a nice hunt.

DSCN0334 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I hunted with Audrey several years ago, I would recommend these folks:

Pronghorn guide service they shoot some Giants. I would go to Namibia to hunt oryx. You could shoot a truck load in Namibia cheaper then hunting them in the states
Absolutely ! I have shot oryx in Namibia for small money. Looking at €450 per animal this year. I love hunting those animals. Err, and warthog. Pretty keen on blue wildebeest also.

Mark Haynes - Ironsight Outfitting - +1 (575) 499-4454

Just got the taxidermy back yesterday.

This is the oryx my son hunted in New Mexico with Mark Haynes when he was 9, and the pronghorn he hunted with Mark when he was 10. Both are silver medal animals. Just sharing for reference. There are certainly bigger trophies, but if a Ph can get a kid on this quality of game, he can certainly do the same or better for an experienced hunter.

4B62457B-EE39-417C-947C-6236A18B4550.jpeg

If you want to hunt New Mexico I’d suggest using either Chris Guikema of Compass West Outfitters, Jeff Lester with Hunt Hard, or Braden Finnegan of Callis Outfitters.

You should know the application deadline is past so on Pronghorn you’ll be restricted to Ranch Tags. Your other option is Wyoming and there are some good guides there.

I’ve hunted both states and if you PM me can give you some phone numbers on who to call. They’re likely gonna be busy the next few days since draw results are about to drop.

The OP asked who ‘the best’ pronghorn outfitter is and that would be Tony & Eli Grimmet, Pronghorn Guide Service. There are certainly other good outfitters, but nobody has the track record for killing truly big pronghorn bucks like the Grimmets do. They hunt AZ, NM and WY. They also have landowner tags in NM. They’re also good guys. I haven’t hunted with them but have talked with Tony several times about tags I had and he was helpful even though he knew I was hunting on my own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillianaLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg