Looking for the best New Mexico Pronghorn/Oryx Guide

Rubi_300

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
Pheasants Forever, Freemasons, Safari Club International, O.G.C.A.
Since I am mainly an upland hunter and have Africa calling my name, I want to get some "bigger" game under my belt before going over. By bigger I mean something larger than pheasants and coyotes. I can't stand Midwest whitetail hunting but a trophy pronghorn has caught my interest and possibly an Oryx too.

Does anyone have guide recommendations in New Mexico? I am out of state so my chances are slim on getting a tag but to my knowledge I have a better chance of getting one if I apply for it through a guide. I want to use a guide for the hunt too since I don't know the first thing about where to find a trophy sized pronghorn in NM. If you have first hand experience let me know! Pictures of your New Mexico Pronghorn and/or Oryx are encouraged!

@rookhawk might have a suggestion about outfitters for oryx. @CO_mtnman recently did a pronghorn hunt there. Also, @shootist~ is from NM, and might have more tips. I worked in New Mexico for several years and know good places to hunt them, but no outfitters.

FYI- Oryx and pronghorn aren’t typically found in the same areas. Oryx are found in the desert around White Sands (south central), and pronghorn are found in the high plains (north and east).

Last edited:
@rookhawk might have a suggestion about outfitters for oryx. @CO_mtnman recently did a pronghorn hunt there. Also, @shootist~ is from NM, and might have more tips. I worked in New Mexico for several years and know good places to hunt them, but no outfitters.

FYI- Oryx and pronghorn aren’t typically found in the same areas. Oryx are found in the desert around White Sands (south central), and pronghorn are found in the high plains (north and east).
Thank you! I was unaware of the difference in location. Between the two then I'd choose pronghorn and save the money to get a gemsbok on my Africa trip.

Thank you! I was unaware of the difference in location. Between the two then I'd choose pronghorn and save the money to get a gemsbok on my Africa trip.
Gemsbok in the Kalahari is a great hunt.
B7F2CBC1-8398-4439-ADA6-25B2A9D463BA.jpeg

Not what you asked for, but have you considered free range aoudad hunting in west Texas? No draw required and a very unique hunt in mountains. License is just $48.
I would be up for it. Haven’t looked into it much but honestly anything that’s not sitting in a deer stand in 20 degree temps sounds like fun for me to get some bigger animals under my belt.

I would be up for it. Haven’t looked into it much but honestly anything that’s not sitting in a deer stand in 20 degree temps sounds like fun for me to get some bigger animals under my belt.
YouTube west Texas aoudad hunts. It’s about as far from sitting in a deer stand as you’ll get

Since I am mainly an upland hunter and have Africa calling my name, I want to get some "bigger" game under my belt before going over. By bigger I mean something larger than pheasants and coyotes. I can't stand Midwest whitetail hunting but a trophy pronghorn has caught my interest and possibly an Oryx too.

Does anyone have guide recommendations in New Mexico? I am out of state so my chances are slim on getting a tag but to my knowledge I have a better chance of getting one if I apply for it through a guide. I want to use a guide for the hunt too since I don't know the first thing about where to find a trophy sized pronghorn in NM. If you have first hand experience let me know! Pictures of your New Mexico Pronghorn and/or Oryx are encouraged!
Go to Africa and hunt Gemsbok, you will be money ahead and that is including the flight. I not sure people realize how cost effective it is to hunt in RSA.

Great hunt and best meat is a nalgai hunt on the King ranch, King Ranch is around 800,000 acres, big place. Not sure about free range public land aoudad hunts for $48 bucks. If that was available I would be there every other weekend. Texas is 90% privately owned. Aoudad hunts out west start about $3500 and most into the $4500-6000 range since aoudad have taken off and been marketed as the poor man’s sheep hunt. The state license may be $48 for out of state hunters. The state has a few public land draw hunts for aoudad, I have over 20 points or 20 years putting in and yet to draw a tag.

Great hunt and best meat is a nalgai hunt on the King ranch, King Ranch is around 800,000 acres, big place. Not sure about free range public land aoudad hunts for $48 bucks. If that was available I would be there every other weekend. Texas is 90% privately owned. Aoudad hunts out west start about $3500 and most into the $4500-6000 range since aoudad have taken off and been marketed as the poor man’s sheep hunt. The state license may be $48 for out of state hunters. The state has a few public land draw hunts for aoudad, I have over 20 points or 20 years putting in and yet to draw a tag.
I wasn’t suggesting an aoudad hunt was free but the non-resident oryx tag alone in New Mexico is $1600 I believe in addition to guide fees

The good thing about the NM draw, if you don’t draw, you get your money back. I try every year, among other species.

I had a similar outlook to the OP but went to Africa for my first oryx. I would suggest that route.

The NM oryx out of Alamogordo is a tough hunt, higher priced and a lower rate of success.

Good luck on your quest!

I wasn’t suggesting an aoudad hunt was free but the non-resident oryx tag alone in New Mexico is $1600 I believe in addition to guide fees

Basically, the oryx in NM are on WSMR and surrounds. Pronghorn are scattered all over the state with greatest densities in the east and northeast. However, the best trophies have generally come from the central and southwest. Finding a good guide in NM is a crapshoot and will require a great deal of due diligence. BTW, the world record pronghorn, unless it has recently changed, was taken not that many years ago (2013 I think) in southwest/central NM roughly between Socorro and Magdalena- an area I used to live and work in a past life. Visualize... not far east of the VLA of the movie Contact :) Sorry no help on a guide.

I think I would just study shot placement info, get good ammo to hunt with and practice a lot with a decent bolt rifle, like a Win70 30-06 with a quality, simple scope of low variable power. Then do an African PG hunt straight away. :)

Last edited:
Basically, the oryx in NM are on WSMR and surrounds. Pronghorn are scattered all over the state with greatest densities in the east and northeast. However, the best trophies have generally come from the central and southwest. Finding a good guide in NM is a crapshoot and will require a great deal of due diligence. BTW, the world record pronghorn, unless it has recently changed, was taken not that many years ago (2013 I think) in southwest/central NM roughly between Socorro and Magdalena- an area I used to live and work in a past life. Visualize... not far east of the VLA of the movie Contact :) Sorry no help on a guide.

I think I would just study shot placement info, get good ammo to hunt with and practice a lot with a decent bolt rifle, like a Win70 30-06 with a quality, simple scope of low variable power. Then do an African PG hunt straight away. :)
Yeah it seems to be a toss up on guides so far. I have a model 70 super grade in 300wm on the way for my Africa trip. I’m a bit of a m70 fanboy.
I like your thinking but I won’t be going until at least next year or early 2025. With the itch already I have to find something in the states that’ll at least be productive towards the Africa trip.

You need to look at some other animals that you will have a chance at drawing. New Mexico pronghorn and oryx are not easy to draw.

Do some research on the West Texas aoudad hunt can be done on public land. I know a couple of hunters who have done it without an outfitter, but you can always hire one if you want to.

Other than that you need to look into states that you can purchase a OTC tag for elk and or deer and perhaps a bear.

Look at Idaho and Montana

For an oryx hunt I can highly recommend Tierra Encantada Guides and Outfitters
. They hunt private land oryx and have trophy and non trophy options. Between my 2 sons and myself we have hunted with them 6 times for elk ,pronghorn ,oryx, mule deer and cues deer.if you would like more info pm me your number and I can give you a call

Go hunt aoudad goats or Nilgai antelope in Texas.

both offer spot and stalk opportunities
And are more “affordable”

I have an outfitter that does both Oryx and Pronghorn. My son was a lucky SOB and drew the 1600:1 odds non-resident Oryx tag when he was nine. Shot a record book animal at 247 yards. We go back with the outfitter the next year for a pronghorn hunt. He shoots a record book pronghorn at 168 yards.

Of the thousands of acres we trudged across, it was ironic that both shots occurred a year apart within maybe 200 yards of one another. This area is right next to White Sands Missile Range.

Mark at Iron Sights Outfitters is who we used. He’s highly competent. We’d use him again for elk/mulie/sheep if we drew a tag.

Postscript if I were to do it again: I would never enter the stupid lottos trying to draw an oryx tag. It’s not cost effective. Just buy the landowner tag (Mark has them) and the Pronghorn landowner tag and call it a day. It saves very little money coming to the outfitter with a tag in hand, asking for a guide and trespass fee, versus asking for them to provide the tag as well.

9F63DABF-13A3-4AE0-8616-853897067A91.jpeg

30E1D3D3-25DC-4F37-B16D-7EACFDBC8ED6.jpeg

rookhawk,

Your son did great. A couple of awesome animals. Congrats to both of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!