Looking for my first "affordable" double in 2023, which to consider

I thank you for your responses regarding LOP. I have heard it said changing it can affect regulation so glad to hear it shouldn't be a problem. Apologies to OP if I have hijacked this thread a bit...
JJ & George on purpose have long LOP on their Chapuis so they can cut it down to your exact measurements which is a real bonus

Heym, hands down. As for caliber, I say either .500 Nitro Express or .470 Nitro Express.

Although I do not own a Heym single or double. I have had the opportunity to look, handle and shoot a 88b (my wife's) a beautiful well made, well balanced rifle. I have handled and looked at, but not shot a 89b .470 again a well made, well balance rifle. I do believe the .470 Heym is a little on the light side. Actually a little lighter than a .450-.400. With about a ten thousand dollar difference in price I believe comparing the two are comparing apples with oranges. Which one will still be in good nick 100yrs from now, like my old George Gibbs. I vote for the Heym 89b.

Although I do not own a Heym single or double. I have had the opportunity to look, handle and shoot a 88b (my wife's) a beautiful well made, well balanced rifle. I have handled and looked at, but not shot a 89b .470 again a well made, well balance rifle. I do believe the .470 Heym is a little on the light side. Actually a little lighter than a .450-.400. With about a ten thousand dollar difference in price I believe comparing the two are comparing apples with oranges. Which one will still be in good nick 100yrs from now, like my old George Gibbs. I vote for the Heym 89b.
The word "light" in a double rifle always scares me given besides LOP problems that will cause a gun like a 470 and 500 to kick the devil out of you...I speak from experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg