Long haul seat selection

Buyer beware here, I posted this previously and hate to contradict @Rare Breed, however Delta has reconfigured their ATL - JNB Flight 200/201 A350 aircraft on flights starting in June. Delta announced this earlier this year, at least to their frequent flyers. See below screen shots I took just a moment ago showing the A350 seating configuration for Flt 200 Atlanta to Johannesburg. The first seating map screenshot is for flight 200 on May 5th and the second seating map screen shot for the same flight on June 2nd. So don't blindly ask your travel agent to grab seat 41A or 41J for you starting after June 1st as you won't be getting the extra leg room that was there previously. As you can see there is no exit row seat with the extra legroom of 41J any more. Delta did this reconfiguration to add 2 more rows of Delta One business class on these aircraft they are using for the Johannesburg flight. Big bummer for the rest of us.

This is the Delta Flt 200 seat map as shown for flight on May 5th 2024 - 41A and 41J exist

View attachment 594627

This is the same flight Delta 200 on June 2, 2024 with new seating configuration

View attachment 594633
Fly soon! :) Of course it is also foolish to not double check seating map, even if using a travel agent. Not unlike tourist, year round play time for same type people when I see them pulling big out of state toy trailers with $100K pick ups with the pick ups plastered with business logos. Likely writing off those trips and vehicles also. Gotta love tax cheats!

Last edited:
I may be a little late to the discussion but here’s my two bits.

Been to SA 3 time always delta. Done basic seating in the back in a middle side seat on the 777 in 2015. Not bad as a kid but as an adult would not be preferred.

2018 aisle and window right in front of middle bathrooms on the sides of the plane on the 777s the window was best on this one.

2023, comfort plus, middle section middle seat. Was very disappointed heard good things about the A350s but the seats were terrible, no cushion really at all, felt like sitting on metal bars the whole time. Our friend did premium select he said it was good just that the way it is designed your seat is like a box.

In summary the best seat was the window in from of the bathroom on the 777, had a lot of side space and was able to sleep a lot more comfortably then any other west I have done so far. If had the money the new delta one product looks great.

Business class or at least in front of the engines. The further forward the better. You can supplement your seat with a self inflating cushion if you can't afford business class. My wife likes the window and I prefer the aisle so that's how it goes. We've been able to stay in a two-seat row most of the time. If not, I get stuck in a middle seat. :rolleyes:

Hearing protection is a must! At least earplugs but noise canceling full muffs are better. Use both and you might actually get some sleep. We also like a neck support that packs down slim.

1711048940264.png

Don't forget woobie!!!
1711049541454.png

Fly soon! :) Of course it is also foolish to not double check seating map, even if using a travel agent. Not unlike tourist, year round play time for same type people when I see them pulling big out of state toy trailers with $100K pick ups with the pick ups plastered with business logos. Likely writing off those trips and vehicles also. Gotta love tax cheats!
Please do not hesitate to contradict me!!! I am flying April 6th so my 41J is correct. Very nice job recognizing Delta is changing aircraft in June so 41J would not be the great seat it is for April. Very nicely done!!!

Buyer beware here, I posted this previously and hate to contradict @Rare Breed, however Delta has reconfigured their ATL - JNB Flight 200/201 A350 aircraft on flights starting in June. Delta announced this earlier this year, at least to their frequent flyers. See below screen shots I took just a moment ago showing the A350 seating configuration for Flt 200 Atlanta to Johannesburg. The first seating map screenshot is for flight 200 on May 5th and the second seating map screen shot for the same flight on June 2nd. So don't blindly ask your travel agent to grab seat 41A or 41J for you starting after June 1st as you won't be getting the extra leg room that was there previously. As you can see there is no exit row seat with the extra legroom of 41J any more. Delta did this reconfiguration to add 2 more rows of Delta One business class on these aircraft they are using for the Johannesburg flight. Big bummer for the rest of us.

Edit - I shoud have also added that this is Delta's seating map for this summer, who knows they may decide it was not a good idea and revert back to their previous seating arrangement and 41J may come back into play. But I would always check the seat map carefully before buying and make sure you can get the seat you are thinking you want.

This is the Delta Flt 200 seat map as shown for flight on May 5th 2024 - 41A and 41J exist

View attachment 594627

This is the same flight Delta 200 on June 2, 2024 with new seating configuration

View attachment 594633

I fly out June 17. Seat map for my flight is like diagram 2.
I am in Premium Select isle seat.
Usually fly Qatar but was to expensive this year for business.

If anyone looking to save money and flying Business, avoid Delta and Unıted non-stop flights. Fly out of New-York with Turkish, Qatar , Emirates, Etophian etc…
Total time will be longer but with a break in the middle and you’ll save thousands!
Same out of DC through Doha.

With all this seat talk I am just happy to be flying to RSA on 6/9 ATL to JNB for my first Safari on Delta. It is going to be a long flight and would be nice to have a likeminded person for conversation. I start at BDL and I have a pretty good layover in ATL. Any one else flying out that day and want to get a drink let me know.

Just so everyone is on the same page about 41J and counterpart, on the Delta 350-900 there are three variants of that plane with three seat map versions. You can go on the particular flight and see which version is used for that trip on the day you book. The 35H plane version is the one with the 41J good seats.

Flying Delta 200/201 to/from JNB in May (2nd time on this route) and curious what you all prefer on long haul....Aisle or window. I get free comfort+ at booking and its either window or middle, or sit back in main cabin with plenty of options. Although its minimal the extra leg room is nice and comfort+ gets an amenity kit that while not mind blowing is nice.
I also will typically fly Comfort+ when on Delta And have done so for decades. I will choose bulkhead aisle when available with a one new exception. I always like bulkhead, left side, aisle or maybe window (no window seat for me except bulkhead!). With the planes Reconfigured for Premium Select that seat I mention (bulkhead, left side aisle or right side aisle) is not a no go for me. The aisle cuts sharply inward from PS to Economy and the carts and people will hit you continually. It can actually be painful with the cart nailing you in the foot or leg!
Last year on the big Namibia and then South Africa safaris I was in what used to be my favorite seat in Comfort+. I could hardly sleep for fear of being crippled by the flight attendants. My IFE screen had to be put down for them to pass!!! I did not pony up for PS because it was too expensive.
On return I was on the WiFi at camp on our departure morning checking for an upgrade. I found PS on the way home for $500 and bought it. My friends, who were supposed to be sitting with me in Comfort+ , said the poor guy who got my seat had a full glass of red wine spilled on him by a flight attendant first thing!
I'll buy PS but about $3000 is my limit.
Like most of y'all I just want to go and will sit anywhere. That doesn't mean I don't obsess about it.

We're booked comfort+ on our flight to Johannesburg this May, and I chose aisle for me. Longest flight i've ever been on by a long shot. I like to be able to stretch my leg out into the aisle a bit. We'll see how she goes.
Watch my travel videos for tips on these long haul flights.

I have looked at them all. Best value bar none but business class on Delta flight 200 from ATL to JNB is 41J and its counterpart. Right by exit row with no seat in front of you at Main seating price. Always amazed people don’t understand this
Because you are weird! I am elated that you and Toby loved those seats. Y'all crack me up.

Flying Delta 200/201 to/from JNB in May (2nd time on this route) and curious what you all prefer on long haul....Aisle or window. I get free comfort+ at booking and its either window or middle, or sit back in main cabin with plenty of options. Although its minimal the extra leg room is nice and comfort+ gets an amenity kit that while not mind blowing is nice.
Delta One dawg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.