LONG awaited crate is finally here!!!!!!

Well a long awaited crate makes for a happy day! But unfortunately all is not 100%

All in total from 2 safaris:
Buff -skull and cape
2 Blesbok - skulls and 1 cape, 1 rug
Zebra - rug
Warthog - skull
Baboon -skull
Gemsbok - skull, cape, backskin
Waterbok -skull and cape
Nyala - skull, cape
Cow eland -skull and rug
Springbok -skul and cape
Black Wildebeest -skull

*Missing are my nyala horns and the skull is toast. I'll take it up with the taxidermist who has a good reputation of making things right, still unfortunate.

*Also question for you guys who have recently imported trophies( at least un-mounted ones) All the horns have holes drilled in them to put the ID tags with them. Anyone else experience this recently? See some of the pics to look at the tips of horns.

Thanks for any feedback!
No drill holes in mine..

A992659C-C54E-408E-B483-895311222FEF.jpeg
Wow just looked close and I can’t believe they did that!!!!!!

F97E6D3C-182A-4F1A-B198-B39FBCF16883.jpeg
Here is my last one.

Very nice trophies....congrats!!!

Anyone else had holes drilled in horns recently?? This is something that can be fixed but upsetting for sure.

Charlie, are you willing to tell us who did the work?

Anyone else had holes drilled in horns recently?? This is something that can be fixed but upsetting for sure.

I make regular visits to my taxidermists shop. It is not uncommon to see shipments with the holes drilled in the horns. I’ve never asked him why some do and some don’t. You’ve got my curiosity up now so I’ll be sure and ask next time I’m there.

I make regular visits to my taxidermists shop. It is not uncommon to see shipments with the holes drilled in the horns. I’ve never asked him why some do and some don’t. You’ve got my curiosity up now so I’ll be sure and ask next time I’m there.

I'll definitely ask and make sure to tell them not to do this next time!

Charlie, are you willing to tell us who did the work?

John,

I'm gathering all the facts from both outfitters before I speak with the taxidermist so I have all my ducks in a row. If you want to PM me I will let you know who but I don't want to say who the D&P in until I speak with them and get some things cleared up.

John,

I'm gathering all the facts from both outfitters before I speak with the taxidermist so I have all my ducks in a row. If you want to PM me I will let you know who but I don't want to say who the D&P in until I speak with them and get some things cleared up.
Completely understand. Just thought we would let fellow members know in case they use them.

I have holes drilled in some and not in others. Differing taxidermists.
The holes that were drilled for identification were a lot smaller than the ones in your pictures.

Tagging each horn in that manner would certainly make sure that you got your horns back. After having some horns disappear, I might not be so bothered with those holes in the future.

Never happened that way for me!

Sorry to hear you’re disappointed reedy. I have seen the holes in the horns many times in SA in different settings.
Sorry it had to happen to you, I know it can be fixed, but you’ll always know you were not happy with it.

Perhaps a lesson for all of us if we don’t want this to happen to make sure the agreement with the handlers of the trophies, shipping agencies, taxidermists and outfitters alike, needs to be verified in this regard.

Hope your Taxidermist will be able to help with this.

Please keep us posted in regards to this and the missing/broken items as well.

//Gus

Most clients and also my own horns I received from africa have had small holes with tags attached to make sure you get your matched horns . I seen springbok not drilled and out of three one had mismatched horns. Many animals like hartebeest and wildebeest that the horns do not come off the core will have hole drilled up from the base for treatment purposes. The holes are easily repaired very quickly.

That's a good question for the taxidermists in the crowd.

The holes in my horns are all so small that they are insignificant and can not really be noticed.

I take sculpt all and mix dry tempera paint to match the color and knead them together , fill the hole and texture to look like the rest of the horn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Al Gamecock

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you