Lock recommendations Pelican 1200 case

Docbar

New member
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Messages
8
Reaction score
5
Does anyone have a specific padlock brand/model recommendation to use on a Pelican 1200 case? I will be using this case to carry ammo on flights to SA. I prefer combination locks. Also, my understanding is I need to use TSA locks for this purpose. I bought two Forge 4-digit locks off Amazon and one broke the first time I used a TSA master key with it (something broke internally). Most other I have viewed have been tiny. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks
 
You can use any lock. It doesn’t need to be a TSA lock. You can tape 2nd key on outside if you really want to give them access. When you arrive at airline counter. Tell the agent you have a firearm and ammunition. Once they get you checked in, you’ll take both to TSA directly. They’ll inspect it then if they want to. There is no TSA in South Africa. You’ll collect your rifle and ammo from the police office. After you check in at airline counter, you’ll take them back to police office when you go to leave. They’ll check the rifle and potentially ammo in your presence.
 
With apologies to the OP for partially hijacking the thread: I've been experimenting with my Pelican 1200 because if you put cardboard ammo boxes inside it's a very inefficient use of the space (I can only fit 3 boxes and that means you can't carry as much ammo as the weight allowance would otherwise permit). I performed some minor surgery on the MTM ammo case inserts and now have the ability to hold up to 90 rounds (probably MORE than the weight allowance, depending on caliber) with a bit of room to spare.

My question is: do you think I would run afoul of some airline bureaucrat wanting to see a traditional cardboard box, or would this be sufficient since the tray is purpose-built to hold ammo?

IMG_0067.jpeg
 
With apologies to the OP for partially hijacking the thread: I've been experimenting with my Pelican 1200 because if you put cardboard ammo boxes inside it's a very inefficient use of the space (I can only fit 3 boxes and that means you can't carry as much ammo as the weight allowance would otherwise permit). I performed some minor surgery on the MTM ammo case inserts and now have the ability to hold up to 90 rounds (probably MORE than the weight allowance, depending on caliber) with a bit of room to spare.

My question is: do you think I would run afoul of some airline bureaucrat wanting to see a traditional cardboard box, or would this be sufficient since the tray is purpose-built to hold ammo?

View attachment 793099
I try not to give anyone the opportunity to be stupid at airports. The ammo is definitely secure but might raise questions and create problems you’d rather avoid. Where do you foresee needing more than 3 boxes of ammo? I’m in the camp of bring more than you need, but seems most people here are content with 40 rounds. There are also cardboard ammo boxes that are more efficient than others. I save Norma ammo boxes because they are so efficient on space compared to Federal cardboard boxes and especially compared to Federal’s plastic safari ammo boxes.
 
I used $4.00 Brinks keyed locks on my gun case and ammo box in 2022. No issues. One of the guys had three $10 combo Master Locks break on the way over and came back with ONE lock on his gun case and NONE on his ammo box. Go figure.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,859
Members
169,448
Latest member
MichaelMur
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top