Loads for .458 Winchester Magnum

I just noticed that the shootersreference website shows quite a few loads that do this:

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2163 fps using 75.5 grains H335

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2161 fps using 74 grains H4895

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2152 fps using 74 grains Varget

500 grain Hornady JRN listed at 2149 fps using 73.4 grains N530

With soft points the max I saw was:

500 grain Hornady RN listed at 2192 fps using 74.0 grains Accurate 2460

Check their website.
H335 has had excellent consistency for me

...Loads for the .458 WM across the screens set @ 15' and corrected to the muzzle. Temp 89F, ptly cldy, 8000', wind calm. Data taken over a three days Conditions changed little, or not at all. Rifle Winchester M-70 crf, 24" bbl Brass was new Winchester trimmed 2.49 o/a length, primers Fed 215.

First are factory loads, dates of manufacture unknown. All data five shots each across the screens

Winchester 500 gr FMJ 2075fps
Federal 500 gr TBSH 2039fps
Remington 500 gr FMJ 2018fps

Next are results of my hand loads. All bullets are 500gr solids

H 4895 74grs Hornady =2205fps
TBSH=2219fps

H 335 74.5grs Hornady=2072fps
TBSH=2123fps
AGS=2114fps

H 335 75grs Hornady=2174fps
TBSH=2187fps
AGS=2189fps

AA2230 74grs Hornady=2229fps
TBSH=2267fps
AGS=2215fps

At no time during my testing were there any surprises. No pressure problems, no crushed primers, no difficult extraction.

Friendly warning: These data are from MY rifle. It goes without saying use caution when handloading for your firearm.

TSIBINDI, I tried the H335 powder using 74.0 to 75.6 grains, +/- .1 grain, at .2 grain increments using Hornady 500 grain DGS and DGX bullets out of my Remington Mark X Model 798 or 799 (I have both one is in 375 H&H the other is 458 WM) through my chronograph the best velocity I was able to get was under 2100 fps.

To conserve powder (H335) and for best accuracy 70.5 grains (I think, I need to pull out a box with data to be positive) at 1900+ fps.

I also tried H4064. Accuracy per powder charge and velocity was not to my satisfaction.

TSIBINDI, I tried the H335 powder using 74.0 to 75.6 grains, +/- .1 grain, at .2 grain increments using Hornady 500 grain DGS and DGX bullets out of my Remington Mark X Model 798 or 799 (I have both one is in 375 H&H the other is 458 WM) through my chronograph the best velocity I was able to get was under 2100 fps.

To conserve powder (H335) and for best accuracy 70.5 grains (I think, I need to pull out a box with data to be positive) at 1900+ fps.

I also tried H4064. Accuracy per powder charge and velocity was not to my satisfaction...
RR:
Different rifles, different results. Example: A very good friend is a P/H in Zimbabwe. The rifle he was using for back up was, shall we say, lacking in reliablity. He asked if I could locate a LH version of a M-70 and convert it to .458WM. I located a L/H M-70 .338WM and sent the rifle to Gene Simillion in Gunnison, Co and had him install a 24" Krieger barrel.

Five shots across the screens:

Remington Factory 500gr FMJ=2070fps My rifle: 2018fps

H 335 74.5gr 500gr Hornady FMJ=2122fps My rifle: 2072fps

Remington vs Winchester vs Krieger ???

Conservativly, I've shot more than 500 rounds thru my rifle. Various components, various results. Ultimately I setteled on: AA2230, Fed nickel brass, Fed 215 primers, Speer AGS solids @2185fps.

FYI. other powders tested: IMR 3031, Varget, IMR 4320, and WW 748. Lots of options for handloaders.

I don't think it was though, as the .450 Nitro Express used 480 grains. Was there another popular .458 before Winchester introduced their magnum? My guess is they wanted to "beat" the NE by going to a heavier bullet but driving it to the same velocity.
My guess was a little different. I think that the 500 grain weight was the goal. Remember, the writings of Robert Ruark were popular st the time. He often referenced his .470 NE throwing a 500 grain bullets at 2150. It was easier to achieve this in a standard length bolt action with a .45 caliber (and Americans were already familiar with it in the .45-70, .45 Colt, etc.). The problem was that manufacturing processes hadn't yet caught up to the theory in 1956.

Hi Doug,

The .458 is my absolute favourite caliber and I have a hand-load that has worked well for me.

My hand-load is as follows;

Winchester Case
Woodleigh 480gn RNSP
74gn of AR2206H (H4895)
CCI Mag primer
@2150fps (chronographed by me in a Zastava M70 with 24" barrel)

This is just a fantastic load. NEVER had a pressure problem, cloverleafs 3 shots at 50m and little compression.
The bullet just sits nice and snug on the powder... just perfect.

But there is another load that should prove at least as good and that is;

Winchester case
480 gn Woodleigh RNSP
74gn AR2208 (Varget)
CCI Mag primer
@ estimated velocity 2150fps

With 450-500gn projectiles these 2 powders it seems can be substituted for one another.
Same powder and same powder charge for the same velocity - but AR2208 (Varget) does it at slightly lower pressure.

If anyone gives you grief about using the .458 tell them to mind their own business!
The .458 has killed countless thousands of elephant and buffalo and I have personally corresponded with PH's that have used it without problem on DG.

Good luck and keep us posted (y)

Russ
Hi Russ,

Well, my planned safari for 2021 was postponed for a year due to Covid. We were there in August (last month).
I had settled on 74 grains of H4895 behind a 500 grain Hornady FMJ. In Zimbabwe I fired one shot. Through the shoulder and heart valves, then out the side of the heart and exited behind the opposite shoulder. The old duggaboy ran about 25 yards and piled up dead.
I don't think I needed a bigger gun!

Doug

OK, I know that I'm going to catch a lot of grief for this, so please don't bother to tell me that I need a Lott. I used my .458 Win. Mag. to take exactly one cape buffalo bull on my first safari and I love the rifle. I'm going back to find another bull next year and the Winnie is going with me.
Now then, when I went before, I was using some older factory ammunition which I now know was not a good idea (although the bull died and the bullets didn't bounce along the ground to reach him).
I now reload for all of my hunting rifles and this hunt will also be "home-rolled." I am looking for good loads that aren't overly compressed or temperature sensitive yet still deliver the velocity that it was supposed to (2150 fps with 500 gr. bullets). The main problem with inconsistent velocities in this cartridge seems be around the use of tightly packed spherical powders which clump and don't burn evenly. I know some of you with more big-bore experience than I have an answer to this issue. Help please!
Hi guys!

I started this thread in April of 2020 for a planned safari in 2021. Due to the Covid virus, it got postponed until this past August.
The load I settled on was 500 gr. Honesty DGS, 74 gr. H4895 powder (said to be temperature insensitive), WLRM primers, in new Winchester brass. This was then crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp die. The bullet seemed to just touch the powder as the cannelure reached the case mouth where where I crimped it securely. The load was accurate in my rifle and there were no signs of excess pressure. Velocity was very consistent with 2162 fps over two chronos.
So how did it work? After checking the zero at the camp range, I was ready. The morning of day two we found a pile of buffalo dung in the road and the tracks of four big bulls. After tracking these Dugga Boys for no more than a mile, we caught them. One of the old bulls stopped almost broadside between two patches of acacia. Going for the high heart/lung shot I smacked him on the shoulder. The bullet went through the shoulder, the plumbing at the front of the heart, out the side at the center of the heart, and exited the buffalo behind the opposite shoulder. The bull ran and disappeared behind the acacia. While the PH was asking me if I knew where the shot was and if I was sure (I was), one of the trackers ran off to the side and came running back to say that the bull was down. He'd made it about 25 yards and piled up dead.
The other three bulls refused to leave, so we backed out to get the truck. When we got back they were still there, but with much horn honking and another shot into the base of a tree, they finally left and we could recover my bull. It was almost an anti climax. I would say that with good loads, the old .458 was more than adequate.
Thanks to all for your help and load info.
Doug

My 458 win. is a Wentworth I bought it thinking i would go back to AK and call a big brownie in with a rabbit call the load I have decided to use barnes TSX 450 gr. load was tested at 70 degrees. H322 71gr. Federal 215mag primers under 1" at 100 yds 2200 fps . after load development I took the scope back off

I used Winchester 748 ball powder for years and never had a problem in Africa or anywhere else. The one problem I did have while hunting in Cameroun was that my .458 WM Ruger had a magazine box that was a bit too short for the 500 gr. Hornady solids I had with me, so I couldn't crimp them in the cannelure. Under the circumstances I had no choice but to use an extremely tight case neck and seat the bullet as compressed as humanly possible on top of the powder. That set the bullet back just that 1/16" I needed so that they would not hang up in the magazine. Certainly not recommended loading procedure but it worked just fine and I never had a problem. I tested it sufficiently to ensure that the bullet would not ever creep forward in the case during recoil. Anyway, back in the bush in those days I didn't have any other options. All this just to say 748 ball powder is still a favorite of mine.

I used Winchester 748 ball powder for years and never had a problem in Africa or anywhere else. The one problem I did have while hunting in Cameroun was that my .458 WM Ruger had a magazine box that was a bit too short for the 500 gr. Hornady solids I had with me, so I couldn't crimp them in the cannelure. Under the circumstances I had no choice but to use an extremely tight case neck and seat the bullet as compressed as humanly possible on top of the powder. That set the bullet back just that 1/16" I needed so that they would not hang up in the magazine. Certainly not recommended loading procedure but it worked just fine and I never had a problem. I tested it sufficiently to ensure that the bullet would not ever creep forward in the case during recoil. Anyway, back in the bush in those days I didn't have any other options. All this just to say 748 ball powder is still a favorite of mine.
you might look at 450 Barnes bullet or contact Hammer Bullets for their 404 grain bullets with 5 crimping bands or their 447 grain bullet. the 404 is taking all game animals around the world

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg