Loading a Double Rifle quickly

Altitude sickness

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Here is a video from SxS shotgun cowboy action shooting. Of course not all of it will translate to a DR.
Very few can load a SxS quicker or more efficiently than these guys.

But for those of us that don’t go to the DG shooting schools. This may help someone tweak their loading style.

I’ve been using the right hand load for a follow up re load.
IMG_2358.jpeg

I have seen the SASS video before and it gets one thinking.. if your Double is an "extractor" gun... If i've shot both rounds I push the top lever as the barrels are falling open I tilt them up and dump the shells while reaching for two new ones.... with practice you can reload very quickly (I live in Vt we have 6 months of winter)

One thing I may add to my practice. From the video. is after tipping and dropping expended cases. (Ejector rifle)

Shoulder the rifle as new cartridges are coming up with the other hand. he does this in the video and loads with the rifle shouldered.

Just as loading a pistol. You don’t leave it out away from the body. It’s brought into your work space. Mag change and press out, fire.

I’m going to try it

IMG_2752.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I may add to my practice. From the video. is after tipping and dropping expended cases. (Ejector rifle)

Shoulder the rifle as new cartridges are coming up with the other hand. he does this in the video and loads with the rifle shouldered.

Just as loading a pistol. You don’t leave it out away from the body. It’s brought into your work space. Mag change and press out, fire.

I’m going to try it
I 100% agree with your last sentence "press out, fire. The same should be said for a rifle.. like a shot gun the barrels should be pressed or pushed to the target while mounting the gun instead of having the stock shouldered and lifting the barrels to the target ... where where physics tells us the barrels in their upward movement while rise above the line of sight then have to lowered to line of sight

Here is what works best for me when loading ... it gives more control over the cartridges works for either one or two rounds....

View attachment 576026View attachment 576028View attachment 576027

Thanks for sharing @zephyr
This is also how I have been practicing (although switching the hands as I’m right handed)

There is only one difference I do is when presenting the ammo to the barrels. You come from up high at an acutely angle, then rotate the rounds inside. I will use the thumb that is holding the rounds to press on the opening lever and slide forward, feeling my way to the throats of the barrels. Whereupon getting close, the third bite pushes the two rounds open one into each barrel. Then I just open my hands let them fall in, and finally with the knife side of my hand I karate chop press quickly on the back of the rounds.

I have found this helps with the “no looking” because your hand is in contact much before you get to the point of inserting the rounds. As well as allows you to clear an optic that might be there.

@Rare Breed You are correct, however I have changed my belt carrier to one with the proper positioning of 6 rounds set up to grab two rounds with perfect spacing fitting my hand size. But the open loop worked just as well.

Like with most hand eye coordination events you can train yourself to load at double or a single shot very quickly. You just need to practice a fair amount with the manual of arms for the rifle you are shooting

You just need to practice a fair amount with the manual of arms for the rifle you are shooting
:S Agree:

Perfect practice makes perfect.

After a lot of practice of the above mentioned methods to achieve a quick reload for a upcoming elephant hunt I was wondering if there might not be an even faster way of reloading a double rifle.
I started looking at how I could minimize the movement involved in the reloading process.
I briefly toyed with the idea of holding 2 rounds in the left hand, but I found it cumbersome and distracting .
This actually interfered with my first 2 shots to such an extent that I discarded the idea rather quickly.

I remember seeing a wrist cartridge holder in an old Magnum magazine growing up , I think it was sported by Richard Harland if memory serves me right.This idea intri me.

IVW also makes use of a similar device but I believe their bullets were orientated parallel to the forearm. I tested a few different angles of bullet orientation by literally duck taping them to my forearm and going through the mechanics of reloading. I found spacing the bullets 2 cm apart horizontal to my forearm,I could grasp the bullets between my fingers with the middle finger in between the cartridges and transfer them with the minimal of movements into the breech of the rifle. I spoke to a wonderful leather concern in South Africa that custom built it to my specifications. This was the end result. It works like a charm.

IMG_7565.jpeg

IMG_7537.jpeg

@Frederik Badenhorst - I'm not sure I understand the mechanics of how you are grabbing the cartridges from the top of your off hand (left) wrist without rotating the entire rifle because your left hand is gripping the forend.

Can you make a short video or explain it for me please?

After shooting the rifle I lower the rifle , my rifle has ejectors and needs a bit more force to break open the action . So I use my non dominant left hand to grip the barrels and break the action open whilst the gun stock is tucked under my right arm. This free’s up my dominant right hand to reach over to my left wrist about 6-7 inches away from the gun breach. I grab the 2 cartridges( open right hand closing in a fist over the cartridges,separating them with my middle finger) and angle them into the breach. I got use to opening the rifle like that because I shoot a lot of trap and the mechanics became 2nd nature to me

I get it.

Your left hand is facing palm down on top of the barrels with your thumb on the underside to break the action. The stock being held in your right armpit. Action breaks ejecting the shells while your right hand comes over to grab the fresh ones off your left wrist.

Reactions: AES
I get it.

Your left hand is facing palm down on top of the barrels with your thumb on the underside to break the action. The stock being held in your right armpit. Action breaks ejecting the shells while your right hand comes over to grab the fresh ones off your left wrist.
Exactly like that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JosefaShro

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.