Loading .375H&H for DG: Is fastest best or is there an ideal FPS to strive for?

albravo

AH senior member
Reaction score
I think I said in my first post that it was probably a gun that would take me to Africa instead of a trip to Africa taking me to a gun. I found this forum while researching Blaser R8 and I've been drawn back again and again, both gathering info for my new gun (R8 Ultimate in .375H&H w/ .223 for practice) and feeding a new interest in hunting Cape Buffalo and plains game in Africa.

I really enjoy reloading and, though I am pretty much self taught, I've managed to build very accurate loads for all my rifles. I've always favoured accuracy over FPS (past a certain point, of course) but one thread a couple weeks ago has left a lingering question. The thread was custom built .375 that posted pics of five bullets in one hole. I don't recall the exact velocity but I think it was a 300 grain bullet at darn near 2900fps. Somebody asked "why so fast?" and the OP said he was thinking of slowing it down a bit.

That has me wondering as I build my first loads, is there an ideal muzzle velocity or is faster better? I know that a 250 gr bullet at 2700fps is very effective on moose and elk but, from what I've learned on AH, they are thin skinned and easy to kill compared to a lot of African game.

To simplify the query, assume .375H&H, 300 gr A-frame (I think I got the last box in Canada), hunting buffalo and plains game out to 200 yards.

300gr AFrames were going 2560 out of my rifle. Longest shot was just inside of 300 yards. No need to over think it. 300gr work well, have been proven by many people on this board.

Good luck on your hunt!

I would work on one load, if its 300 grs, then that would be the one. I would not be too worry about fps, but more of what your rifle shoots accurately. Once that has been achieved, I would shoot at the distances you plan to hunt to see and record the POI. Always use a chronograph to record the speed.

My practice routine consisted of shooting a 22 LR, followed by my 375 H&H, and then finishing with the 22 LR again. I only shot from the bench to sight in the scope, all the shooting was done from the shooting sticks I took with me. I practiced for a bit over 6 months, and this practice paid huge dividends in the field.

I hope this helps.

300 grain Barnes TSX or Swift A-Frame at 2400-2500 fps will sort you out.

Opinions vary on hand loads for dangerous game. I’m sure you are a great reloader but the chances of you having a failure is higher than factory loaded ammo. Obviously the choice is yours.

I’ve had excellent accuracy from 300 grain Barnes TSX that is loaded by Barnes. At least MOA when I do my part with a Blaser R8. Before that it was 300 grain Swift A-Frames in a CZ550. Whatever shoots best is what I used.

I worked up a load for my 375 H&H using the Barnes 300 gr TSX and 67 gr of RL15. It chronographs at 2475fps here at my elevation of just under 6000 feet in elevation.
It is extremely accurate in my Win Model 70.
Funny thing is if you look at the Barnes loading data, 67 gr of RL15 is on the light, or minimum end of the scale. However, it did an excellent job on my Cape Buffalo last August.
I am a guy that shoots a lot of varmint calibers and others, like the 7mm RUM that were made to be pushed from a FPS perspective but I am a believer in this load, which is in the lighter end of the scale.
In the attached photo I was shooting at 100 yards off of a bench. If I do my part, it will cloverleaf 3 rounds all day long.
IMG_2046.JPG

I worked up a load for my 375 H&H using the Barnes 300 gr TSX and 67 gr of RL15. It chronographs at 2475fps here at my elevation of just under 6000 feet in elevation.
It is extremely accurate in my Win Model 70.
Funny thing is if you look at the Barnes loading data, 67 gr of RL15 is on the light, or minimum end of the scale. However, it did an excellent job on my Cape Buffalo last August.
I am a guy that shoots a lot of varmint calibers and others, like the 7mm RUM that were made to be pushed from a FPS perspective but I am a believer in this load, which is in the lighter end of the scale.
In the attached photo I was shooting at 100 yards off of a bench. If I do my part, it will cloverleaf 3 rounds all day long.
View attachment 594613

Exactly my point! Focus on what the rifle likes, vs FPS. BTW, excellent shooting! (y)

2530FPS would be my upper limit with 300Gr bullets.

Wyobull, this has been my exact experience with 250 gr TTSX. I worked up a load (65 gr H4895 I think) that will cloverleaf at 2700 fps but when I looked it up it was a really light charge and I'm not used to seeing so much room at the top of the case. I wondered if I'm missing something.

It is sure nice to shoot-- very mild recoil. And the best part is I was able to find a few boxes so I can do a little practice and hunt for years.

Yes to 2530 fps with 300-grainer.
That is the classic load for a 24"-barreled .375 H&H, most often quoted, and correct IMHO.
It is what I chose to do also.
Easy to do.
Might be at an accuracy node for the rifle shooting it,
same as some lower velocity loads might be also.
I remember when Doctari was touting 2400 fps as an improvement over 2500 fps with a 300-grainer.
Might be true with inferior bullet designs of yore.
Splitting hairs ?
Anything around 2500 fps with 300-grainer, whatever you and your rifle like best.
The dead critter won't know the difference.
RedLechwe-1.jpg
b1.jpg
b2-1.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg

That is a Douglas No. 3 Sporter barrel, 1:12" twist, 24" length, .375 H&H chambered
on a Pre-'64 Winchester M70 .300 H&H action
in a Brown Precision "Pounder Stock"
with NECG banded front sight and
2-piece Kimber scope bases at the time, later changed to Leupold QRW.
Bare rifle, empty/unloaded weighed 6.75 pounds.
Add scope & rings & ammo & sling & slip-on-pad LOP adjuster to that.
Or skip the scope and rings and use a Lyman #57 receiver sight.

Last edited:
The ideal velocity for 300 grs 2450-2550 fps excellent penetration for DG for the 375H&H
even with the 350grs woodleigh or barnes origianls if you can find them loading it to 2300 fps it out performs other calibers for penetration remember its all about shot placement.
so practice and call your shots .

Wyobull, this has been my exact experience with 250 gr TTSX. I worked up a load (65 gr H4895 I think) that will cloverleaf at 2700 fps but when I looked it up it was a really light charge and I'm not used to seeing so much room at the top of the case. I wondered if I'm missing something.

It is sure nice to shoot-- very mild recoil. And the best part is I was able to find a few boxes so I can do a little practice and hunt for years.

It is also interesting that in using the older Barnes load data, which is what I use, and comparing it to the latest data they have published for the 375 H&H, there is a pretty significant difference in what they show for the 300 gr using RL15. In their current data, while they still highly recommend RL15, 67.5 gr is where they start for the minimum load and that shows a speed of 2374 fps. So, my load is not even above their minimum and yet mine at 67 gr chronographs at 2475 fps.that. I think in the older Barnes published data I am using, their minimum load is something like 65 gr if I remember correctly.

My 300 grs load is FED215 IMR 3450 76grs 2530 fps 24 bbl

Im lucky to have and load woodeligh/barnes 350 grs using IMR 4350 FED215 73grs
obatining 2320fps excellent load for dugga boys penetration and energy

I am going for somewhere around 2400-2500 fps as per Hornadys load data for the .375 DGX Bonded.

D92A0F92-3FFA-4731-8B51-4975F5590339.jpeg

I used RL-15, 71 grains, with old 300-gr X-Bullet for my 2530 fps load, in my rifle.
Nowadays I would switch that powder to about same charge weight of VARGET, I still have an 8-pound jug of that.
Better Themo-Ballistic-Independence.
For same reason I would change the IMR-4350 to H4350.
The 4350-powders are also excellent for 300-grainers in the .375 H&H.
Lower pressure, more recoil, for same 2530 fps with 300-grainer, just to split some more hairs.
H4350 made by ADI of Australia would be my choice for the 350-grainers at 2350 fps.

Personally I use 340gr Rhino and 380gr Rhino in 375 H&H excellent buffalo bullets

Lower pressure, more recoil, for same 2530 fps with 300-grainer, just to split some more hairs.

Is this statement based on using 4350 powder or another powder?

Lower peak pressure, slower powder, longer burn of more powder, greater muzzle ejecta mass.
That is based on H4350 at 76 grains versus RL-15 at 71 grains.
That is assuming both loads are 2530 fps with 300-grainer.
If VARGET will do it at 70 grains charge, it will have less recoil.
Really splitting hairs on that last sentence.

Base this on recoil calculator, pretty miniscule.
9-pound, field-ready rifle:
H4350 76 grains: 43.9 ft-lbs Recoil Energy, 17.72 fps recoil velocity
RL-15 71 grains: 42.1 ft-lbs, 17.34 fps
Varget 70 grains: 41.7 ft-lbs, 17.27 fps

To feel any difference might require a 6.75# bare-naked-empty .375 H&H.
The last iteration of mine:

b009.jpg

7# rifle with receiver sight
H4350 76 grains: 56.5 ft-lbs, 22.8 fps
RL-15 71 grains: 54.1 ft-lbs, 22.3 fps
Varget 70 grains: 53.7 ft-lbs, 22.2 fps

Last edited:
300gr Frame at 2500 is pretty easy to do, but not at the sake of accuracy. I would also say, the idea that Elk are easier to bring down that most PG is just not true in my experience. If you have a combo that works for elk, using it for plains game is not going to be an issue. If you are hunting DG and also PG, then that clearly isn't true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesterPoco

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.