Living Dangerously

Motorcyclists - there are old ones and there are bold ones...

After sliding down the highway on a Kawasaki 400 with my dad in 1975, I decided I'd rather be an OLD one!

Every few years I get an itch to buy a bike, I talk myself out of it everytime. Been really thinking about a Indian Chief Darkhorse just to run around on the weekends. I think it would be fun. Anybody know much about them?
View attachment 599928

A local ATV/Motocross/Motorcycle dealer had an Indian event one weekend where you could sign up to test ride the new models as well as talk to their reps. I started a conversation with one of the reps, but only 5 seconds in he excused himself and said he'd be right back. 30 minutes later and I noticed he was speaking to someone else. So I left and didn't bother with a test ride.

That said, I've heard a lot of good about the new Indians. The company is owned by Polaris who in my opinion makes a great 4-wheeler and snowmobiles. The one downside is that in comparison to a Harley, the parts aftermarket is thin. Whereas there's so many companies that make various accessories for HD.

As close as I will ever come to hunting dangerous game, there are other ways of living on the edge, a quarter inch of rubber between you and eternity. View attachment 599821
MV Augsta!!! Very very nice! Rare and sex! Aaaaand fast lol
I raced a Kawasaki ZX-7R in AMA CCS Southwest Division WAY back in the day, have a photo radar pic of me doing 168mph on Firebird Raceway on it! That was a long time ago!
These days I speed in one of these!
70482320827__2C09700B-EBAF-4152-956A-FD6BF677417A.jpeg

700hp 900ftlbs tq but wrapped in aluminum and just as fast lol

I raced a Kawasaki ZX-7R in AMA CCS Southwest Division WAY back in the day, have a photo radar pic of me doing 168mph on Firebird Raceway on it! That was a long time ago!
View attachment 600020

Firebird raceway near Phoenix?

I could go like many of my co-workers, slowly dying from cancer after a life of factory work. Or I could risk getting flattened by a truck on the highway. If I'm lucky I might even get killed hunting dangerous game... But sadly that is less likely than the truck while riding my bike.

I have just recently learned to love riding and wish I had more friends who rode.

View attachment 600020
Since you liked my previous post, I'll take that as a yes, it was the track just a few minutes from where I live.

Firebird raceway near Phoenix?
Yes, I grew up Tucson and raced for Tucson Kawasaki, so Firebird was my home track…
It was very tight on the back end but very fast coming down the 1/4 mile straight heading into the carousel at the end of the straight….
Many times you were 170mph+ when you hit the Dunlop Bridge and would have to down shift several times and break hard and then counter steer as hard as possible so you could slide your rear tire through the carousel as you were dragging a knee!
This at still close to 100mph!
“Living Dangerously“ is right lol

I still get back to Tucson and Phoenix/Scottsdale several times a year! We should get lunch!!!

Everyone dies eventually, but only a few people truly live!!

That got nothing to do with risking your life.

Sure it does, well if I preceive @Kiwifire111 intent is: if one doesn't feel "the adrenaline rush" or press the limits of the "preverbial envelope" in life, never venturing beyond one's "preverbial safety bubble", then one simply dies never knowing the thrills of what it means to be alive. Or the meaning of living life to its fullest.

Nice bike

It‘s not the speed that kills, it‘s the sudden stop.

(ex driver of MT01, CBR RR,..)
Still say the similar thing about parachuting.

Don't worry about the fall, it's that sudden stop when you hit the ground if your chute doesn't open.

Yes, I grew up Tucson and raced for Tucson Kawasaki, so Firebird was my home track…
It was very tight on the back end but very fast coming down the 1/4 mile straight heading into the carousel at the end of the straight….
Many times you were 170mph+ when you hit the Dunlop Bridge and would have to down shift several times and break hard and then counter steer as hard as possible so you could slide your rear tire through the carousel as you were dragging a knee!
This at still close to 100mph!
“Living Dangerously“ is right lol

I still get back to Tucson and Phoenix/Scottsdale several times a year! We should get lunch!!!

This year will be my 23rd year of the raging inferno that is Phoenix in the summer. We should do that lunch soon as I'm hoping this will be my last. I've grown tired of this place. Traffic is getting worse as the city grows. It won't be long before the southern suburbs of Phoenix intersect with the northern suburbs of Tucson.

First bike in 1961, first Ducati in 1964 (250cc scrambler) last Ducati in 78 (900cc Desmo) many in between, 750 GT, 450 Desmo scrambler, 350 Scrambler and others, loved every one, but you had to maintain them.
Mike

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but this came to mind when I read the thread title:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Screenshot_20231214_072032_Instagram.jpg

I was on a KTM520 EXC for a few years. Good times. Sadly can't find any pics of mine, but here's a generic image.

1713469209769.jpeg

The Harley guy across the street is now in a wheelchair with no legs. There's living and dying and living wishing you were dead. Hit a deer on a bike and you are gonna get hurt or dead. I have hit several with cars and trucks. Yet to even total one out. I take risks but not those things. Horses have piled me up several times but I always got up and walked away ... eventually. Motorcycle bucks you off at 100mph you're not getting up for the near future. Maybe never. I'll pass.

The Harley guy across the street is now in a wheelchair with no legs. There's living and dying and living wishing you were dead. Hit a deer on a bike and you are gonna get hurt or dead. I have hit several with cars and trucks. Yet to even total one out. I take risks but not those things. Horses have piled me up several times but I always got up and walked away ... eventually. Motorcycle bucks you off at 100mph you're not getting up for the near future. Maybe never. I'll pass.
Well Canuck, can always count on you to inject a little levity into the conversation. :cool:

Awe, get a dirt bike Ontario and ride the trails and be somebody. You only have to go as fast as you want, you won't hit a deer and won't get run over by a car. I have a 2003 Yamaha TTR 250 that I still enjoy riding on the forest trails. I see a lot of wildlife too when riding.

Awe, get a dirt bike Ontario and ride the trails and be somebody. You only have to go as fast as you want, you won't hit a deer and won't get run over by a car. I have a 2003 Yamaha TTR 250 that I still enjoy riding on the forest trails. I see a lot of wildlife too when riding.
I wouldn't worry too much about hitting deer on the trails here. But the mosquitoes are big enough to knock you off a dirt bike. Actually, the ground here is too soggy in most places for dirt bikes. This is ATV country. And no I don't own one of those either. I enjoy communing with nature, not rushing past it as fast as I can wearing ear plugs to shut out the racket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
superlativewatches

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.