Liver Anyone?

Fresh impala liver is one of the best things I ever put in my mouth, but strangely I don't care for whitetail liver much. Dehydrating might be a good thing to utilize it, let us know!

We had fresh buffalo and bushbuck liver with onions as an appetizer on our recent safari. Was delicious. But needs to be prepared right.

I would love to try a pate made from african game livers... might be delicious

I can still remember back in the day on my Grand dad's farm(must have been 4 or5 years old) when my dad shot a kudu. We took the fresh liver out and stopped by a water hole. Light up some coles and braaid the liver just there while listening too Rugby on an old Radio( Curry Cup final Western province vs Noord Transvaal. ) Great memory with great liver

Dehydrating the liver and making a supplement out of it, should work. The main thing is to identify the diet of the animal, whos liver you want to consume. If they are eating lots of poisonous plants and things our body can not deal with, the oxidants will remain in the liver; therefore, passing on to you. On the plus side you will be using animals that aren't pumped full of hormones and steroids unlike American cattle; which is a great thing for you.
Organ meat is recommended in certain amounts for people, so give it a try and let us know how it goes!

Liver is best if eaten right away a few months in the freezer will make it tough. My Mom always made heart and dressing. It wasn't to bad. Tongue isn't all that great. I ate some kidney in Namibia it wasn't great but didn't make me gag.

Liver and onions, done right, very good. If something wrong with animal then…. not so much. For whatever reason, heart was never very good to my taste. Other organs or tripe/menudo.. nah. However I believe hunger does change the palate.

What part of the prey animal do predators or alphas within a predator group commonly go after first? Internal organs. Some theorize because of the concentrated nutrients and fat.

I usually make a bulk sausage grind out of heart, liver and kidneys of wild game. Add lamb fat and your preferred spice, it is delicious.
As for capsule-form liver, I wonder if that is too small a portion to impart a benefit?

I can vacuum bag the liver at the farmhouse and take them home.
Will you be able to get them through US Customs? I know you can't bring sausage and such in. It has to be shipped from the producer in RSA. Better check the regs.

Will you be able to get them through US Customs? I know you can't bring sausage and such in. It has to be shipped from the producer in RSA. Better check the regs.
We always kept the heart and liver of any deer shot and beef and hogs we raised. Rolled in flour and fried in butter it's mighty fine eating.

On my first African trip last year I ate liver twice!
The first preparation was ground gemsbok meat and liver with spices covered in caul fat and baked in a brownie pan. (It seriously looked like brownies) it was good, not great. Kinda like 2 day old cold hamburgers.
The second preparation was amazing! It was fresh nyala liver cubed and sautéed. Mixed with a coconut milk curry sauce and served over white rice. I still think of this dish every time I think about Africa or talk about organ meat.

Liver with garlic and onions! Where do I sign up??? :D

Heart, liver and kidneys seared in a pan with red wine!

Liver pâté.

So much yummy stuff! Thank god for people like @Red Leg, so the price of liver does not go through the roof like foie gras :D :D

One caveat, no store bought liver, only from wild game or animals raised ourselves. No need to be eating antibiotics and such.

When I was 16 or 17 my mother brought home chicken gizzards from KFC. One of the gizzards wasn't a gizzard. It was a chicken liver. What a nasty shock that was. The same thing happened with homemade gizzards a few years ago. What a way to ruin a meal. This concludes my experience with liver.

I'm with the OP, I don't want to eat them.
How hard is it to source vitamins in your area?

I'm wanting to make Smallgoods, I'm not going to save any money but I'm going to try some stuff just because.

@VertigoBE I don't think the price of offal will increease anytime soon.

I like Redleg's exclamation, I'm not into it but I have considered making brawn. But my my research into that ties it to a traditional variety called Head Cheese.

Liver and onions, done right, very good. If something wrong with animal then…. not so much. For whatever reason, heart was never very good to my taste. Other organs or tripe/menudo.. nah. However I believe hunger does change the palate.

What part of the prey animal do predators or alphas within a predator group commonly go after first? Internal organs. Some theorize because of the concentrated nutrients and fat.
To your point, just off the coast nearby me there were white sharks being washed up with no damage other than a big chunk of their gut missing. Turns out the sharks were being targeted for their livers by orcas, and it was consistent with every shark that was found on the coast. Pretty wild!

I usually make a bulk sausage grind out of heart, liver and kidneys of wild game. Add lamb fat and your preferred spice, it is delicious.
As for capsule-form liver, I wonder if that is too small a portion to impart a benefit?
I’m onboard with the sausage making idea. I’m looking to do the same sans liver this year.

As for capsule dosage, I’m not too sure about that yet, I’m sure a similar dosage to the beef liver capsules would work but I’m really not qualified in any way to make that call. If it’s a case of liver quantity, I’ll be able to keep as much of the liver as I can from my group’s quarry as they generally leave it in the gut pile.

I'm with the OP, I don't want to eat them.
How hard is it to source vitamins in your area?

I'm wanting to make Smallgoods, I'm not going to save any money but I'm going to try some stuff just because.

@VertigoBE I don't think the price of offal will increease anytime soon.

I like Redleg's exclamation, I'm not into it but I have considered making brawn. But my my research into that ties it to a traditional variety called Head Cheese.

“Just because” is why I’m doing this, ha! I’m all for taking vitamins supplements and eating a balanced diet, but if I can then heck, why not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg