Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
EC and NW Province RSA, USA
Maybe this has been covered here and maybe not. I am planning a lioness hunt next year in RSA. This will be a ranch hunt. Is it the law to only use a 375 or larger caliber rifle? I do have a 338/378 which I plan on loading some 300 grain Accubonds. Is this an ok rifle bullet combo or should I just rent a 375 or larger rifle and bring a plains game gun? I would love to hear from the PH's/outfitters or those that have hunted lions. Thank you!

Warbird, it is law to use 375 and up, although I have seen 340 WBY's as well as 338/378's like yours work extremely well, now don't get me wrong I am not saying that you should go against our nature conservation stipulated minimum caliber, but if the 375 you are planing to rent should misfire and the bolt break in half while you are standing in front of this lioness.

A nice and heavy 250 gr acubond will do the job just fine...

:)
:) :)
My best always

Warbird, it is law to use 375 and up, although I have seen 340 WBY's as well as 338/378's like yours work extremely well, now don't get me wrong I am not saying that you should go against our nature conservation stipulated minimum caliber, but if the 375 you are planing to rent should misfire and the bolt break in half while you are standing in front of this lioness.

A nice and heavy 250 gr acubond will do the job just fine...

:) :)
My best always

Rental guns have been known to have issues in hot sandy conditions. Always best to have that back up rifle with you in case an Eland jumps out and tries to horn you to death.

Have a great hunt.

Warbird,your rifle bullet combo will be just fine for cats.If you decide on a rental,be sure to familiarise yourself properly with the rifle.

I would be wary of borrowing a rifle for any animal that could kill you in a flash should things go wrong.
I think that your rifle, although not legal minimum, is a good choice.
good luck with the hunt

Pete, while you do have a valid point, no one can publicly support the notion..... at least not your PH,.... most serious professional hunters do carry and have quality rifles, that work.... my advise warbird would be to chat to your guide/outfitter.

My very best always

Jaco, fully agree with you, I doubt any ph has a rifle that doesn't function well, I think I did not explain well enough.
the point I should have made more clearly is I would like to be holding a rifle I am more familiar with than borrowing a rifle that I would have only shot a couple of times, especially for something that can be pretty dangerous.

Warbird

Some of the Rental rifles I have seen where I have hunted are or were better quality rifles than many hunters bring on a safari.

So, Ask the PH what kind of rifles he has available for you to choose between, and you still have time to purchase a quality rifle to take with you.

Warbird

Some of the Rental rifles I have seen where I have hunted are or were better quality rifles than many hunters bring on a safari.

So, Ask the PH what kind of rifles he has available for you to choose between, and you still have time to purchase a quality rifle to take with you.

100% with Mr,Grage... If you ever entertained the idea of buff hunting... Just buy a 375 now...

I just wanted to know if there was a legal minimum caliber for lions. I have the 338/378 that shoots well and I am very comfortable with. I know of people who have shot lions with smaller calibers but were backed up with true dg guns. I just liked the idea do bringing this gun loaded with 300 grain Accubonds and using it for everything.

I just wanted to hear some experts opinions.

I hear ya Brickburn. My decision has been made. I will have a 375 or larger to shoot this beast with. I will hunt buff at some point and I am really interested in a cull elephant some day. I will have to get an appropriate caliber rifle. God forbid something did go wrong I would rather know that I was not under gunned.

I hear ya Brickburn. My decision has been made. I will have a 375 or larger to shoot this beast with. I will hunt buff at some point and I am really interested in a cull elephant some day. I will have to get an appropriate caliber rifle. God forbid something did go wrong I would rather know that I was not under gunned.

No one else is going to jump in really. Jaco said it. I just edited for clarity. :)

The PH will have a very large gun along on the walk right beside you. It will meet the minimum, I guarantee it.

Jaco was being very helpful with his answer.
If you are comfy with that 338 it will do the job.
It is not a "stopper", but it will do the job with the projectile you were suggesting.

If you are going for the rest of the DG list and want another rifle, have fun shopping.
I look forward to the hunt report and pictures of your new rifle.

Jaco was being very helpful with his answer.

This is why I am a member here. You guys all are very helpful when anyone has a question. What I like is that it is not a bunch of arm chair hunters but guys that have been there and done it.
I thank you all that have participated in my question. Your opinions are valued!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg