Light weight low power optic?

matt85

AH legend
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
3,650
Reaction score
4,875
Location
WA, USA
Media
30
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
Im on the hunt for an optic to put on a 6.5x55 rifle i recently ordered. I plan to use the rifle locally in the dense forrests of WA. Shots will be very close range (under 150 yards), so weight and field of view are more important than magnification. Im strictly looking for optics that weigh under 16oz (450g).

So far ive been looking at the Trijicon 1-4x24: https://www.eurooptic.com/trijicon-...ndard-crosshair-w-green-dot-mpn-tr24-c-200071

And the Leupold VX5 1-5x24: https://www.eurooptic.com/leupold-vx-5hd-1-5x24mm-matte-illumination-firedot-4-fine-171385

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
-Matt
 
Im on the hunt for an optic to put on a 6.5x55 rifle i recently ordered. I plan to use the rifle locally in the dense forrests of WA. Shots will be very close range (under 150 yards), so weight and field of view are more important than magnification. Im strictly looking for optics that weigh under 16oz (450g).

So far ive been looking at the Trijicon 1-4x24: https://www.eurooptic.com/trijicon-...ndard-crosshair-w-green-dot-mpn-tr24-c-200071

And the Leupold VX5 1-5x24: https://www.eurooptic.com/leupold-vx-5hd-1-5x24mm-matte-illumination-firedot-4-fine-171385

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
-Matt
Leupold VX5 1-5x24 With Firedot is fantastic


But consider this version instead. For $50 more the CDS dial is a no brainer if you saw a big elk at 400 yards across a clearcut

 
Seriously worth considering. I've got one on a .416, and it's impressive for the price.
I have one on my .375H&H, its just fits my gun so well, I'm not a huge fan of big bulky scopes. And the firedot is super helpful.
 
But consider this version instead. For $50 more the CDS dial is a no brainer if you saw a big elk at 400 yards across a clearcut
Considering im using traditional heavy for caliber bullets, an elk at 400 yards would require at least a 200 yard stalk around/through that clearcut.

My personal record "long shot" in our woods was around 60 yards and my closest shot was 4 yards. My longest shot was done with a muzzle loader and iron sights. While my shortest shot was with a 7x57 bolt gun using a 4-12 power scope... A deer looks like a wall of brown fur at 12 feet through a 4x scope :ROFLMAO:.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,254
Messages
1,570,842
Members
169,186
Latest member
JulianneKa
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top