Lifeform Taxidermy Dip and Pack

Arinjit

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I recently did a hunt with Jan from Shumba Safaris and now it is time to arrange for dip and pack. The quote I have been given by Lifeform for dip and pack and crating of 2 capes, 2 skulls and 2 feet of buffalo is $1270.

My bill from RSA in 2012 for 11 animals with multiple flat skins was $955
My bill from Namibia in 2013 for 8 animals with multiple flat skins was $1174 + $150 for optional heavy duty crate.

I asked what would be the reason for the premium price, but was not given a specific reason. Reasoning given was nothing the others didn't provide.

Questions:

1. If you have done a dip and pack for buffalo cape and skull, how much was it? If not comfortable in giving a price on the forum, you can either PM me, or just note if you would recommend I use the service based on price.
2. Any suggestions for alternatives in the Hoedspruit area?

I don't mind paying for value, but hate getting taken for a ride. As these are my first buffalo trophies, I am unsure if that is the case, so looking for more info. Based on my previous experiences, the price feels exponentially high. Hoping some of you can help with some info.

Last edited:
…...
I asked what would be the reason for the premium price, but was not given a specific reason. Reasoning given was nothing the others didn't provide.
……...

I would not like the "cause we can" response either.
I get a sense that the "name" provides for some of the premium.
Another suspicion; Big Five trophies are not cheap to hunt, so you have the money and should part with some more.

Alternative: contact Craig at Bull's Eye Taxidermy in Vaalwater. He may have some suggestions for you.

Brickburn - Thanks.

Just to add, both the other trips mentioned had 1 Big 5 as part of it and overall I was happy with both the previous services.

I was hoping to get a specific reason like added clearance or special treatment for FMD or something like that required for buffalo as opposed to another animal. But seems like the process is the same as any other dip and pack.

Dip & Pack process should be same.

I just had life form do a dip and pack actually I should have it this Friday in route. They are high priced second option contact game tan they are a block away from life form owned by Zack the old owner of life form and half the price. Mine came thru life form because it was in route from Mozambique buffalo and a few small guys if you look at your bill the shipping is usually high from life form I don't know why but that has been the case with mine both times I used them but the do go overboard and wood crate very good

I will send a PM.

We are using Life Form for our dip and pack for this yrs safari, wondering about getting the tanning done there as well, any comments, suggestions???? Thxs

It's my opinion that DIP PACK Service is way overcharged for the man hours involved. Can their be another reason? I feel there is but will let that go as simply my opinion. So much that I only buy my african hunts anymore that INCLUDE the pricing and charges for the dip pack fees up front and with all applicable paperwork fees for the dip pack and crating added to the hunting contract. No surprises later. This has worked out very well for me. I never use or recommend a taxidermy company that does taxidermy work for dip pack. In my Opinion again it's a conflict of interest...
I have some good contacts and people that use the right size crates and ARE thoughtful about your expense and in turn do a great service for dip pack only. I find that dip pack services that only do dip pack are extremely more efficient in getting your trophies out of the country in as little as 90 ( the minimum by laws) to 120 days.
Arinjit 1,270.00 didn't even include the shipping as I read it. Maybe it did. Simply incredible if that is just the dip pack process cost. I had 2 lions w skulls dip pack, paperwork fees, shipped air, U S customs broker cleared, and ground trucked in the US to my tannery for under $1,000.00
As for tanning skins over in africa. Our studio charges more for the mounting if they have dermis loss or damage that our tanning would not have resulted in. Sometimes we have to charge this, but not always, if it involves more work / time / hours to produce a mount that meets our standards using others tan and not our own. All tanning like taxidermy is not created equal.

I hear u Dennis and the only reason why i am looking at tanning over there, is because its coming to Canada and they recently changed the rules and there is another charge/tax that will have to be paid, but if its tanned and as long as the skulls are clean, then there is no extra charges... The taxidermist that i am using in Canada has discussed this with me, i am just looking at tanning there and mounting in Canada and if Life Form comes recommended by the some of the hunters in this forum, then we will do that way, if not it comes back as salted hides and tanned in Canada, etc. Its more a principle thing to me now, the fricking Canadian government has pissed in my cornflakers......

Listen to Dennis he knows what he is talking about.

Yes , The Canadian Gov. now wants to get into this and charge those extra re dip pack fees. The whole worlds gone crazy....

Just to update, I ended up going with Game Tan. Their quote was about half of what Lifeform had quoted and somewhat closer in line to my previous safaris, although still a bit higher in my opinion. I did get a very good quote from Bullseye taxidermy, more in line with previous safaris, but they were far enough away that shipping the trophies to them would not make it worthwhile anymore.

Please note that my decision does not have anything to do with Lifeform's quality of work, but entirely based on the ridiculous quote. They were very professional in my short dealings with them and were very cooperative in handing over the trophies to Gametan. Had I done taxidermy work there, my decision may have been different, but for basic dip and pack service, I did not see any value in the inflated quote.

Thank you all who provided me with info on alternatives.

It's my opinion that DIP PACK Service is way overcharged for the man hours involved. Can their be another reason? I feel there is but will let that go as simply my opinion. So much that I only buy my african hunts anymore that INCLUDE the pricing and charges for the dip pack fees up front and with all applicable paperwork fees for the dip pack and crating added to the hunting contract. No surprises later. This has worked out very well for me. I never use or recommend a taxidermy company that does taxidermy work for dip pack. In my Opinion again it's a conflict of interest...
I have some good contacts and people that use the right size crates and ARE thoughtful about your expense and in turn do a great service for dip pack only. I find that dip pack services that only do dip pack are extremely more efficient in getting your trophies out of the country in as little as 90 ( the minimum by laws) to 120 days.
Arinjit 1,270.00 didn't even include the shipping as I read it. Maybe it did. Simply incredible if that is just the dip pack process cost. I had 2 lions w skulls dip pack, paperwork fees, shipped air, U S customs broker cleared, and ground trucked in the US to my tannery for under $1,000.00
As for tanning skins over in africa. Our studio charges more for the mounting if they have dermis loss or damage that our tanning would not have resulted in. Sometimes we have to charge this, but not always, if it involves more work / time / hours to produce a mount that meets our standards using others tan and not our own. All tanning like taxidermy is not created equal.

It did not include shipping to the US. Just dip and pack, crating and delivery to freight company.

WOW not including shipping that is was what I read, Thats terrible.

Thxs guys but its already at Life form and I haven't seen a quote yet, but as long as it isn't ridiculous we will carry on with Life form. I guess my question is, has any body used them for tanning and if so has it been of good quality??? Thxs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg