Life Goes On A Gorilla Hunt

In Gabon, great apes (Chimpanzees and Gorillas) are fully protected. This does not prevent the villagers from killing them despite this fact and that they are considered as cousins of man. It's just meat. Traps (cables) and firearms are used.
I set camera traps in the forest and it is not uncommon to film chimpanzees in a group who have one arm amputated, the other whose foot is amputated due to cables laid in the forest

In Gabon, great apes (Chimpanzees and Gorillas) are fully protected. This does not prevent the villagers from killing them despite this fact and that they are considered as cousins of man. It's just meat. Traps (cables) and firearms are used.
I set camera traps in the forest and it is not uncommon to film chimpanzees in a group who have one arm amputated, the other whose foot is amputated due to cables laid in the forest
Sad story... Amazing, that they survive the amputation without death by infections or blood loss. Is Ebola also still a problem?

Easy to see why anti hunting movement got started with this kind of slaughter.
The anti hunting movement predates these primate round ups by many years.

When Teddy Roosevelt pulled out of New York harbor in 1909 for his epic safari, there were protestors standing on the dock waving signs and shouting hateful remarks.

This type of hunt/slaughter was common. Who are we to throw stones? In the 1870's. the US sanctioned the slaughter of 20,000,000 bison, leaving 100 +/- by the time Teddy Roosevelt was president. We know have them back but not in numbers.

Gorillas are the same. I went to Uganda and Rwanda to see the gorillas. There were 20+ families in the reserve I went to that are fanatically protected. Habitat is the issue - ie population explosion in all of sub Saharan Africa. No habitat/sanctuary = no gorillas.

It is not "oh, the sky is fallng". It is, "oh, we need to rethink how to support the countries that harbor gorillas". This goes for salmon, for bats, for other species - some not as cuddly as elephants and gorillas. Think habitat! That makes the difference. Further, think penalize/sanction China and some Asian and Arab countries that have no clue what they are doing to wildlife.....

My neighbors went on a gorilla/watching tour to Rwanda last year. It cost $16,000 per person plus flight. They combined it with a regular Botswana trip that preceded it. The wife started working out with a personal trainer a year in advance to get in shape for the trip. Apparently the gorillas are in a very remote area.
The Philadelphia Museum of Natural History sent biologists to “collect’ specimens from Africa.
They “collected” some pygmies as well as gorillas and chimpanzees.
The pygmies are reportedly still in the basement.

You are absolutely correct.
This ad featured in several gun magazines. The hunter was Frank Delano and the Gorilla was shot in Gabon for a Museum in Los Angeles. The story of this hunt is in the August 1963 Issue of "Sports Afield".

View attachment 607998

That’s the one.

Was controversial even then, despite the fact that the Gorilla in question, had been allegedly attacking villagers.

In the same thread, there was a similar posting of a Mannlicher ad from the 1920s or ‘30s. Large specimen, and as I recall, that was in fact a trophy hunt.

Honestly, if there is a healthy, abundant population, I don’t have a problem with hunts of this nature, if they are confined to lone, adult males, and the hunt is ethically prosecuted.

Not trying to step into (or start) a shitstorm but I think I'm picking up the vibe that generally folks here are against hunting primates. Am I correct?

I wouldn't be interested in hunting them just as I'm not interested in hunting most things I wouldn't eat. And I'm not against trophy hunting even if you don't eat it. For example I'd hunt lion and hyena but wouldn't eat them. I do hunt coyotes and bobcats but no amount of dry rub would get them to my plate.
I have no issues with elephant but probably never will hunt one due to cost and the fact that my wife would kill me. That's just me.

What determines what is a green vs red light on specific (edit - meant to type species) around here generally?

@Hunter-Habib had a pretty strong post just above. I like his stuff and it's apparent to me he's been a pretty serious hunter for most of my lifetime.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
Not trying to step into (or start) a shitstorm but I think I'm picking up the vibe that generally folks here are against hunting primates. Am I correct?

I wouldn't be interested in hunting them just as I'm not interested in hunting most things I wouldn't eat. And I'm not against trophy hunting even if you don't eat it. For example I'd hunt lion and hyena but wouldn't eat them. I do hunt coyotes and bobcats but no amount of dry rub would get them to my plate.
I have no issues with elephant but probably never will hunt one due to cost and the fact that my wife would kill me. That's just me.

What determines what is a green vs red light on specific around here generally?

@Hunter-Habib had a pretty strong post just above. I like his stuff and it's apparent to me he's been a pretty serious hunter for most of my lifetime.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.
Nothing against hunting primates on principle, @Datchew

If a lone bull gorilla was hunted (for instance: the manner by which we hunt lions or leopards on bait), then I would see absolutely nothing wrong with the hunt.

But I simply can't stomach the concept of decimating an entire gorilla family simply for the purposes of acquiring one or two live baby gorillas. It's ecologically unsound and goes against the philosophy of a true hunter who strives to pursue game without negatively impacting their populations.

Last edited:
Nothing against hunting primates on principle, @Datchew

If a lone bull gorilla was hunted (for instance: the manner why which we hunt lions or leopards on bait), then I would see absolutely nothing wrong with the hunt.

But I simply can't stomach the concept of decimating an entire gorilla family simply for the purposes of acquiring one or two live baby gorillas. It's ecologically unsound and goes against the philosophy of a true hunter who strives to pursue game without negatively impacting their populations.

I like that. Well stated, especially that last sentence. That puts into words for me how I generally feel about hunting as well. Thank you

To illustrate my point, I managed to find two films:

These pictures are quite sobering. I think it's pretty easy to say why there's such a unease. The great apes are so close to people. I also think it's why so many people are spooked around apes

I think the only two situations I could see myself shooting a gorilla is if it's genuinely a threat to my life and it's a last resort or if the animal is infirm to the point where death is a release.

Honestly, if there is a healthy, abundant population, I don’t have a problem with hunts of this nature, if they are confined to lone, adult males, and the hunt is ethically prosecuted.

Both the Eastern and Western Gorillas are rated as "Critically Endangered," which means a greater than 50% risk of extinction in 10 years or 3 generations, whichever is longer, but not more than 100 years at a maximum.

Summary of risk of extinction rating system: https://www.iucnredlist.org/resources/summary-sheet

Last edited:
I’m wa
Both the Eastern and Western Gorillas are rated as "Critically Endangered," which means a greater than 50% risk of extinction in 10 years or 3 generations, whichever is longer, but not more than 100 years at a maximum.

Summary of risk of extinction rating system: https://www.iucnredlist.org/resources/summary-shee

Summary of risk of extinction rating system: https://www.iucnredlist.org/resources/summary-sheet
I’m aware. I was speaking hypothetically.

Poaching over the last fifty to one hundred years has made this a moot subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelicitasK

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!