Life Advice

Tex .416

AH fanatic
Joined
Nov 12, 2023
Messages
832
Reaction score
2,496
Media
1
I am working on writing up some thoughts for a nephew about to graduate and go off into the world. I definitely have lots of thoughts, but given this forum is a nice gathering of men who have done well in life and lived some adventures, I am interested in advice and pearls of wisdom from this group of men and the handful of women here too.
 
I write the same thing on every graduation card I give.

“The choices you make today build the foundation for your future, choose wisely.”


My wife often tells our son “the most important decision you will make in your life is who you pick to marry. Make sure she loves you and is NICE to you.”

John the electrician
 
There are couple little quips that I like but aren’t necessarily something that would be inspirational for a young man - so take that as it is…

First one:
You wouldn’t worry so much about what other people think of you if you knew how rarely they did…

And:
People do things that you cannot understand and its probably better that you don’t try to…

Both have served me well over the years.
 
I write the same thing on every graduation card I give.

“The choices you make today build the foundation for your future, choose wisely.”


My wife often tells our son “the most important decision you will make in your life is who you pick to marry. Make sure she loves you and is NICE to you.”

John the electrician

I’ll echo this. Getting married should be one of the easiest decisions you’ll make.

You can only go so wrong with an ‘06.

Write it down so you don’t have to remember.

Never miss an opportunity to talk to an old veteran.

Learn a foreign language at as young an age as possible.

Don’t miss your generation’s war.

Idle hands are the devil’s work. You should have a sport or hobby for every season of the year.
 

​

Proverbs 3:3-6​

​

3Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
bind them around your neck,
write them on the tablet of your heart.
4Then you will win favor and a good name
in the sight of God and man.
5Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
 
This morning I learned that a former student succumbed to cancer a few days ago. She was 37 and a wonderful person. She had a favorite quote that is perhaps general in nature but relevant:

"Enjoy the gift of an ordinary day."
 
...my older sister gave me this plaque when I graduated from college, the most unlikely collegiate candidate in a not-so-well-to-do family of 8.
I was fortunate enough to have an uncle in my formative years that lived this philosophy, and many a young man benefitted from his wisdom, and patience.
I was blessed w/a son of my own to continue this legacy (and a whole squad of nephews), and this past August took him on our first African safari, a trip that was well-beyond our wildest expectations (yes, I will finish my hunt report story, soon).
Be humble, kind, thankful and empathetic and you'll be surprised how grand life can be...
Wisdom.jpg
 
These are all very heartfelt responses and I have enjoyed reading it very much!

When my son was born just under three years ago, I bought him a watch on the day he was born and wrote him a card for when I plan to give it to him years down the line:

To our son,

“All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given us.” - Tolkien

You mother and I bought you this watch on you birthday so that you always remember the most precious resource you have each day of your life is time. The only thing more precious than your time is who you spend it with.

Life is just a collection of decisions limited by time, so be curious and explore the world at each turn while you have the capacity to enjoy it.

Time flies - the good news is you are the pilot, so as your grandfather and namesake used to say to me: “aim high!”

We love you always!

Your Mom and Dad
 
Learn from your mistakes.
Learn more from other peoples mistakes.
 
1. What other people think of you, doesn't matter. They don't pay your bills. Society & it's expectations have killed far more dreams than anything else combined.

2. You can tolerate incompetence. But you can never tolerate betrayal.

3. Be kind & courteous to everyone but trust no one.

4. It costs $0.00 to be a fair human being. If you can help even one member of your fellow man, then why won't you ?

5. Love without expectations.

6. Always take care of those who are loyal to you.

7. Never judge somebody based on how they look or how much they earn. These are things which are beyond their control.

8. Overindulgence is a form of abuse.

9. Take care of your health while you are enjoying your youth. Otherwise, it will return to haunt you in your advanced years.

10. Never love the ones who hurt you & never hurt the ones who love you.

11. Always do what's just & protect the innocent. Not because you feel you deserve a reward, but because it's the right thing to do.

12. If nobody walks that path with you, don't be afraid to walk it alone. And enjoy every moment of it.

13. We all think that we have forever. But time is the world's only resource which is truly non renewable. So don't just have those dreams. Make them happen.
 
Last edited:
These are all very heartfelt responses and I have enjoyed reading it very much!

When my son was born just under three years ago, I bought him a watch on the day he was born and wrote him a card for when I plan to give it to him years down the line:

To our son,

“All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given us.” - Tolkien

You mother and I bought you this watch on you birthday so that you always remember the most precious resource you have each day of your life is time. The only thing more precious than your time is who you spend it with.

Life is just a collection of decisions limited by time, so be curious and explore the world at each turn while you have the capacity to enjoy it.

Time flies - the good news is you are the pilot, so as your grandfather and namesake used to say to me: “aim high!”

We love you always!

Your Mom and Dad
I love that.

I bought my dad and my FIL each a watch when each of my two boys were born. The only caveat is when they pass the watches will pass to their two grandsons. It’s a win win because each man will get to wear a nice watch, and the kids will receive a nice watch with sentimental value from their grandpas
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,342
Messages
1,573,361
Members
169,742
Latest member
RogerSwade
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top