Scrumbag

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Question is do you want straight tube scope for plains game or something with a bigger objective? I'm currently scope hunting and considering a 1.6-8x42 by Kahles if I can find one. Also baby a 1.5-6x42. I'm an illuminated dot kinda guy and think that helps with fast target acquisition...

curtism1234

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Question is do you want straight tube scope for plains game or something with a bigger objective? I'm currently scope hunting and considering a 1.6-8x42 by Kahles if I can find one. Also baby a 1.5-6x42. I'm an illuminated dot kinda guy and think that helps with fast target acquisition...

I think the straight tubes are purchased for
1) cosmetics and sometimes weight
2) that's how very low magnification scopes are made for whatever reasons and those are your choices.

If you found a 1.5ish-8x42 that you are happy with the quality and weight, then that's just about perfect. You are going to get a lot more field of view at the higher powers which imo matters a lot. I always start at the lowest power but anything over 50-60 yards gets moved up to 5 or 6 power but you still want to be able to find them quickly

AWLee

AH member
Reaction score
Website
wildlifecontrolsolutions.com
Media
Both of the OP's options are good choices.
I personally favor the VX-R 2-7. I put one on my son's rifle a few years ago. After the first season with it on his rifle I ended up buying a few more for myself to top my .270, .275 & .375. Being 4oz lighter helps with balance on the rifle and is significantly less stressful to the mount screws. So far I haven't had any hindrance by the bottom end FOV up close or the top end at distance.

As my second choice for my .375 is the Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42. It's heavier then the VX-R and I find the reticle a little hard to find in low light without the illumination on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneketopill

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh