Lets See Your Upland Shotguns

A few years ago I got this wild idea that what I reeeeally needed was a 16 gauge over/under, and ended up buying a Franchi Instinct SL. Very light, and shoots like a dream; as they say "shoots like a 12 and carries like a 20."

Before long, I realized that what I reeeeally needed was another Franchi in 20 gauge, so I got another Instinct, this time in the fancier LX trim. These guns fit me perfectly and I cannot miss with either one of them. I've heard the Franchi Instinct referred to as "the poor man's Beretta," but honestly, I don't think I'd trade either one for a Beretta. The most difficult decision I have when going out for birds is which one to take.

View attachment 688431View attachment 688432
Beautiful shotguns!

However, you just put the hex on yourself. One should never say the words "I can't miss".... ;-)
 
This is my Hardy Bros 16 bore side by side; well over 100 years old, but added a red grouse and a snipe to the bag in South Wales. Apologies, it's not the best photo.
Well, all good things come to pass and I have sold my Hardy. It looks like it's destined to leave the UK and head for Rock Island; I hope it gives it's new owner as much pleasure as it gave me.
 
Last edited:
New to me @W.J.JEFFERY & CO.
Just in from the UK
Model 1 12 bore 28"
Ordered June 20, 1945 for 82 pounds 10 Pence.
1000005418.jpg
 
Some gorgeous guns posted on this thread!

My current guns lean heavily British—perfect for the New England grouse woods. Three 26” bbls and one 28” and all quite lite.

Side note—British boxlocks are an absolute bargain. Super high quality and made to fit modern shooting dimensions.

Top to bottom:
J. Wilkes 20 bore
W. Horton 12 bore
Halliday 2” 12 bore
Parker VH (o frame) 16 gauge—technically my wife’s gun.

View attachment 696004View attachment 696005

The 2” 12 ga is a classic heavy cover gun. Honestly, a much better approach than the US penchant for sub bores. I let one go years ago and have regretted it.
 
I have an old Remington 870 and a Browning BPS. Both 12 ga. and both nothing but utility. I've taken more deer with my 870 than I did small game and birds.
 
IMG_5721.jpeg
IMG_3768.jpeg

IMG_3763.jpeg


IMG_2798.jpeg
A couple of Brownings and a couple of Perazzis and a few limits of dove…
 
I don't have shotguns as beautiful as the ones on here. But when I need a shotgun, I will reach for the 1971 Browning Side by Side that was formally owned by General H. Norman Schwartzkopf.

View attachment 793612View attachment 793612
ns5.png
ns6.jpeg
ns7.png
ns8.png
ns9.png
 
20th century Damascus barreled US made Baker Gun Co 12 gauge
1000139074.jpg

I actually found a 1929 Oklahoma hunting license screwed in behind the butt plate of this one and put it back in its place behind the butt plate after looking it over.
1000140922.jpg
1000140924.jpg
1000140926.jpg

19th century Belgian made percussion Francois Thonon 16 gauge.
1000140916.jpg

1000140918.jpg
1000140920.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,250
Messages
1,570,762
Members
169,154
Latest member
MarinaStur
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top