Let's See Your Pig And Pig Gun

Pig gun for driven boar.

Don't think I have any photos of the rifle with pigs though.

Must remedy that.

FN Commercial in 9.3x62

Scrummy

yH7rTaC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
weve taken a few,with scope sighted contenders,here we got two meat pigs.

02-18-2005091419AM.jpg

distance on these two were out past the 50 yard mark.
I would not like to have met you at the OK Corral. :)

"In general, RedLeg, if you go to Kamchatka via Moscow, we could cross paths, and have something to drink and eat."
the smartest way to bury the cold war

Last edited:
it seemed different to me at the time, that it was a kind of honeymoon. In 2002, I was going to go to Kosovo, and for the English exam I was translating a monograph on the Taliban written by a Pakistani (I asked for such a book in the library, so that the language was simpler). And on the basis of this and various other information, I was against the Afghan operation and any of our participation in it. Although no one asked my opinion, of course.
I remember that year more because I then started using a rifle with optics. It's hard to believe now, but before that, our amateur hunters used almost exclusively shotguns, rifles were an exceptional rarity. Well, I "filled the bumps", that is, I made a few mistakes.
I don't know why, but hunting failures are better remembered than success. The captured boar was eaten and forgotten, and the unsuccessful shot you remember how it was yesterday. I then bought a 9.3x64 carbine,a rare design, there are only 105 pieces produced in total. I put an old Leupold 3-9x50, still Glossy, on a high bracket, went to the shooting range, everything seems to be fine. And here is the first time with this rifle on a roundup hunt for a wild boar. This hunt is called "chasing devils" - young boars run like crazy and are very inventive, there are few chances to shoot at those standing or walking slowly.
And in the first round - the voices of the beaters are getting closer, and suddenly a black boar jumps out of the forest, and, half in the snow, rushes through the clearing to my right. I catch it in the scope and realize that it is not easy even at a multiplicity of 3. Even at the moment of the shot, I realize that I missed. And I can't get the boar back into the scope, and when I took aim, I was afraid I'd shoot along the line. That's the worst thing about hunting. The boar is gone. When hunting from blind on the second day, at dusk, such a sight was also of little use – I saw the silhouettes of wild boars in the snow, but I could not see the aiming mark well. Fortunately, my partner had a night sight, and we implemented the license.
Next weekend I already took the Mauser 98K. Not the same as Peter Larssen has – I left a military-style butt. For two or three years I hunted with him, but then a rule was introduced – it is mandatory to discharge the magazine when moving. The rule is generally correct, but very inconvenient, cartridges when discharged fall anywhere, and in the deep snow, and they are expensive. In addition, it is difficult to put optics on a military-style Mauser, and I shot with an iron sight. Not that it's uncomfortable but unusual. AKM and the Mosin rear sight looks different. In the end, for boar hunting, I bought a semi-automatic Vepr (Boar)-308, a distant descendant of the Kalashnikov light machine gun, and put a Nikon Monarch 1-4x32 with a backlight on it. It turned out to be the best combination. He (or she?) had 10-pieces magazines, but soon a new rule appeared: on group hunts, no more than 5-p magazines, so I had to buy two. The purpose of this restriction is security. Indeed, it happens that when shooting at a herd of wild boars, they get carried away, you lead the barrel – and shoot along the line. In 1980, on one of my first hunts, I even bandaged a wounded hunter. There was just such a situation, shots fired at a herd of wild boars along the line. The bullet ricocheted off the frozen ground. The situation also had comical features – the wounded hunter himself also shot along the line, just he had less firepower. And, as they say in the ads, "not a single animal was injured" - both missed. More precisely, they missed the boars.
Now, remembering, I realize that it is boar hunts that are the most intense in terms of impressions. At least I don't have anything to compare it to, and I haven't been to Africa.
And I never went to Kosovo. I was prematurely awarded the next military rank, and I no longer fit the criteria. Actually, such an assignment is a kind of award, like the title of Hero of the Soviet Union posthumously, but I did not perform any feats. Many years later, I found out what was wrong: my boss did not want to let me go, and he had good friends in the personnel department, and they solved the issue in this way. It's a pity, I would have hunted there, I guess.
In general, RedLeg, if you go to Kamchatka via Moscow, we could cross paths, and have something to drink and eat.
And I will write about vodka in the corresponding section of our forum.
I would very much look forward to that meal and that drink.

I would not like to have met you at the OK Corral. :)

"In general, RedLeg, if you go to Kamchatka via Moscow, we could cross paths, and have something to drink and eat."
the smartest way to bury the cold war
would loved to of been alive then.only if i could of had my today guns.

Olympic lower,Anderson. 300 blackout upper. Xsight HD with infrared digital day/night scope. Sitting a blind outside Victoria Texas right now. Got this sow about8:30 pm last night.

20210309_172715.jpg
20210308_210911.jpg

Olympic lower,Anderson. 300 blackout upper. Xsight HD with infrared digital day/night scope. Sitting a blind outside Victoria Texas right now. Got this sow about8:30 pm last night.
Nice hog. I put a little afternoon stalk in on some Saturday in our Cross Timbers jungle and got a little over zealous and spooked them. Apparently I’m not as sneaky as I think I am. Oh well that’s why they call it hunting I guess.

Here's a nice sow I shot a couple of weeks ago. Browning BPS 12Ga shotgun with #4 Turkey loads. Shot was around 10 yards and the wound looked like a single bullet hole. She actually took off running and nearly ran me over. Shot her again when she passed by and she made it another 30 yards or so before going down.
20230422_145617.jpg

I then asked the local gamekeeper which caliber is better on such a hunt. He said "20th gauge shotgun, in place." He has his own criteria, because he directs the cutting of the carcass and the division of meat. After the 338th and a short shot, the dogs will get a lot of meat. But it can be accepted for drive hunt. On other types of hunting, a rifle with an adequate sight is better.
Then, because of the African swine fever, wild boar hunting was limited. This affected their behavior. Now wild boars enter recreation areas, parks, and are not very afraid of people. On a moose hunt last season, a huge boar came to the shooting line and sat down not far from the shooter, watching the hunt. He-a sedentary one-was almost as tall as a man. When the shots started, he got up and calmly left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross