Leopard walks through South African restaurant while hunting its breakfast

Fred Gunner

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa

'What a rare experience to have such an encounter with a leopard' (Yea Thanks for reminding me!)

A leopard recently wandered into the restaurant of a luxury hotel in South Africa while hunting its breakfast.

Erika Wiese, 39, took a video of the visitor as it walked around the restaurant of the Singita Ebony Lodge in the Sabi Sands reserve.

Wiese told Kruger Sightings that she was with her uncle and two friends just after breakfast when nearby vervet monkeys started making alarm calls, indicating a predator was nearby.

“Singita's staff is well-trained to deal with encounters of this kind and have strict safety protocols in place to ensure the safety of both staff and guests in these situations,” Wiese said. “We were, therefore, able to remain calm, silent and in awe of the beautiful creature that was so close to us.”

According to Wiese, the leopard had been seen in front of the lodge earlier that morning, hunting a bushbuck -- a type of African antelope.

The video, which was posted on Sunday, shows the leopard walking around various parts of the restaurant. At one point, the big cat appears to walk right past the person holding the camera.

About halfway through the video, the leopard can be seen climbing stairs to an upper deck at the restaurant, where it appeared to catch a glimpse of its prey.

Eventually, the leopard walked away from the restaurant toward the bushbuck, according to Wiese.

“We felt complete awe, reverence, respect and gratitude,” Wiese said. “What a rare experience to have such an encounter with a leopard. The situation proved that wildlife and people can live and interact with each other in harmony and respect.”

“This was extremely rare for me (#METOO!) and all I can say to someone in that situation is to stay calm and respectful,” she added.

Mr. Chui and I have a lot in common when it comes to hunting for Breakfast...

unnamed.jpg

Most places use a rodent control business. This is thinking outside the box!

I'm surprised someone did not try to pet the little kitty.

This sighting was a great experience for those that were there I am sure , but there is a negative side to this , this beautiful cat is no longer scared of humans and has become too habituated to the lodge environment which in my opinion has the potential to end up in a tragedy .
I am no big cat expert but know enough that this type of behaviour / situation is not natural and if someone accidentally “bumped” into that cat and startled it someone might get hurt .
Being a lodge I am sure children may be present on occasion , having kids in close proximity to a free roaming wild leopard may not be the best combination .
I hope this situation does not end in tragedy for any person or the Leopard .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonardMrh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!