Leopard Hunt With Hounds Special 2017

Nice offer with dogs Simon! Someone jump on this!

@ActionBob, yes Coenraad will be running the dogs. We had our first hits on the baits last night that we hung last week.

@ActionBob, we have opened the road between the mountain, going to be interesting.

@ActionBob, we have opened the road between the mountain, going to be interesting.
To anyone interested in this hunt... This is a big deal! There was a nice tom that Simon has had on trail cam for some time. Not the one I got. If you remember there were two tags available to me and we tried hard to get two cats. We did find a second Tom but he was too young. Also remember that I was there in November, which is really too late to hunt leopard as many antelope are calving by then and the cats have a virtual smorgasbord of young easy prey available to them.

So back to having this road open... It has not been open for some time, as I understand it. Since Simon has not been able to get tags to hunt elephant these past couple years, he has not kept all the roads open. He has a huge concession, however much of it was not accessible last year. Including this particular road which goes around some of his best leopard areas. He was confident that the cats would be in the same area right behind camp as earlier in the year, however we found no fresh sign there and it seemed logical that cat was staying on the other side of the mountain... So if that is accessible now, it should greatly improve the opportunities to find more cats.

Someone has to take this deal! Last year for hounds, leopard under CITiES and USFWS review, prices skyrocketing, and this is a good opportunity. Check out others prices and they are ALL going to be $30000+. And if rumors can be believed leopard hunts are running about 25% success rate this year! Take the dog deal and get your cat! Just be ready.....
Regards,
Philip

@Philip Glass , the dogs just add that much extra to the hunt. Ready........:W Ak47:or :A Outta:

@ActionBob, yes Coenraad will be running the dogs. We had our first hits on the baits last night that we hung last week.

I have to say I really enjoyed Coenraad's company and professionalism. He is young but has several years experience hunting leopard roughly 150 days per year! That is a lot of experience and if you hunt with him you will see it first hand. The man carries a spear while leopard hunting.. :cool:

This has to be the most "interesting" leopard hunt you can do. (y)

Just returned from the first leopard hunt of the season.

Mark and myself flew from JHB to Nampula on SAA, MAF the charter company were waiting for us, Mark got his visa in about 10 minutes and took us about half hour to clear guns etc and be on our charter flight to Cuamba. Then the 2 hour drive to camp.

When we arrived in camp we could hear a lion calling less than 500 yards from camp, he had been there two days, was exciting for Mark.

The grass has only just started to turn brown, so it was way over our heads, which made hunting hard. First animals we saw we 5 reedbuck, one great male, but weren't hanging around. Next was a herd of just over 20 sable with 3 good bulls. We did a stalk on them, but as we were getting closer the wind turned on us.

Second morning we dropped the dogs on a fresh leopard track and after about 2 hours the Tom was in the tree, after debating for awhile, decided he was not big enough and was only second day, wasn't one of the 3 big Toms we have on camera.

Day 4 while checking baits in the afternoon, Coenraad heard a Tom calling, where @ActionBob shot his leopard last year. The dogs took off, rough , the leopard was running circles and in the dark not so easy. The leopard ran passed Coenraad and then a little later passed Courtney.

You would hear the dogs barking and then silence, then I was amazed, you would hear the leopard calling, I couldn't believe he was sticking around and hadn't hit the highway. From 18h00 to 03h30 we chased the Tom, but he eventually beat us. Was a night of highs and lows.

Day 6 same area leopard took a bait, but the track was too cold to follow.

Day 7 Coenraad and Courtney left at 01h00 to check baits(normal routine), 03h50 while lying in bed I heard 3 low leopard grunts, the dogs got back at about 5, told them and we took the dogs to the area I had heard the Tom calling, within 5 minutes the dogs were on his tracks and took off at major speed. The echo of the hills made it hard to hear where the dogs were, the granite was interfering with the GPS on the dogs, took us over an hour to work out where they had headed. The dogs had covered about 7.5 km already. The closer we got to the dogs, we could smell that the dogs had treed the Tom a few times, you could clearly smell the urine from the Tom spraying. Big track!! This was the area where we had the huge tom on camera. Our hearts were pumping.....after about 4 hours, the leopard took us through bamboo and reeds where even the dogs battled. We lost the battle.

Quick branch and we decided we would go out mid day for sable, not the usual time for sable, but the weather had been the coldest I have experienced in Mozambique. A solo bull presented us with a good shot, 300wm did a good job.

sablemark2017.jpg

I will finish the report shortly.

New dates for the hounds 16 to 30 September.

Nice sable, congrats to the hunter!

The final day we decided to go down to the river for a crocodile, on the way down, this monster warthog crossed our path, more than likely the heaviest pig I have taken with a client...260 pounds.
warthog2017.jpg

Simon, I hope a cat is going to be featured in this report.

Day 4 while checking baits in the afternoon, Coenraad heard a Tom calling, where @ActionBob shot his leopard last year. The dogs took off, rough , the leopard was running circles and in the dark not so easy. The leopard ran passed Coenraad and then a little later passed Courtney.
I tried to tell you you have to lose more baboons there;)

Quit making us wait, we want the rest of the story or go cut some more roads through the bush for next year! :A Drive:

@ActionBob , I can assure you, quite a few primates lost.

We carried on down to the river, we had already chosen an area on the river where would try baiting for a crocodile. When we arrived at the water we saw two crocodiles, one about 10 foot and the other a 13 plus foot. Threw some guts in the water and tired the bait about 5 yards from the edge of the water. The water is rather deep and didn't want to take a chance, wanted him to come up onto dry land. Set up a good blind and sat back.

After about 30 minutes we saw the first set of beady eyes heading towards the baited area, then they were gone, next moment heard a loud smack and massive black head come out of the water as the big crocodile ate the guts, then a little more guts and then gone. After roughly hour the eyes appeared again and for about an hour he slowly worked his way to the bait on the ground. Left right left right it was patrolling....went under the water and appeared about a yard from the bank, Mark was sitting ready on the shooting sticks......I think you would have heard a pin drop. Courtney, Chris and the trackers were sitting about 100 yards from us under a large tree........next moment we heard a splitting noise and the staff taking off like Usan Bolt.....the large tree they were sitting under falling to the ground with a massive BANG! I personally think the crocodile got the biggest fright out of us all, with a massive splash in the water he turned and was gone. Was starting to get late and wanted to be back in camp for our last night and chance on the leopard, the plane would be meeting us in the morning.

Regretfully the last night was uneventful. Mark and myself discussed the Tom we turned down, wondering whether we made the right choice to leave him several times and were both happy we had left him. Mark was a fantastic client to hunt with, he will be back next year for Mr Spots. We were so close 3 times, sometimes we lose.

Quite the croc story! Thanks for sharing the hunt with us!

Next time, tell those guys not to all lean against the same side of the tree!

Sounds like it was a great hunt even though everything didn't work out in the end,

Edge

Man sounds exciting, unfortunate it didn't happen, always a hard call on if to pass or not. I think it might be the toughest decision in hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.