Left Handed shooters club!

Wouldn't mind that 460 weatherby but my god that stock would have to go quick time... That cheek piece makes it too ugly and I wouldn't want to think about the recoil with it...

The Left Hand Model 70 Safaris out of New Haven did in fact come out of their custom shop and I see the prices starting to rise. I was able to get one of the last ones for about 1500 right when Win announced the closure of the plant. Despite some of the horror stories surrounding late model New Haven Winchesters, I have to state that this rifle is truly excellent. Bedding, finish, etc are very high grade and it has a really nice piece of walnut. Prices for these are starting to crawl up, especially since Win has made it clear they wont be offering the "New model 70 safari" in LH. That said 3500 is crazy.

On the Weatherby, I realize the stock geometry is ugly but it is very functional from a recoil taming perspective. Their stock and cheek piece recoil away from your face, not into it and it really does work paced on my own experiences. Of course all that is trumped as soon as you read 460 Weatherby stamped on the barrel!

I like my retina attached! Plus that is a little steep on the "save for second safari" fund.

How about an Ambidextrous club?

I was taught to shoot rifles right handed, but then when I picked up a handgun, my nature was to shoot left handed. Then I started shooting shotguns lefty a bit, and to this day, I go back and forth. I have a couple left handed rifles (sorry, no pics yet), and a left handed compound bow, and a bunch of right handed rifles and bows. My sis is the same way, although she was taught to write left handed, so she calls herself lefty. Neither of us have a consistent eye dominance, we bounce back and forth when we do the standard tests.

Although I can't bowl left handed to save my life. Not that I bowl often, or very well right handed either. But the one time I tried it left handed, I was nearly incapable of doing so.

How about an Ambidextrous club?

I was taught to shoot rifles right handed, but then when I picked up a handgun, my nature was to shoot left handed. Then I started shooting shotguns lefty a bit, and to this day, I go back and forth. I have a couple left handed rifles (sorry, no pics yet), and a left handed compound bow, and a bunch of right handed rifles and bows. My sis is the same way, although she was taught to write left handed, so she calls herself lefty. Neither of us have a consistent eye dominance, we bounce back and forth when we do the standard tests.

Although I can't bowl left handed to save my life. Not that I bowl often, or very well right handed either. But the one time I tried it left handed, I was nearly incapable of doing so.

you and your sister are blessed ,fella

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Incredible thing happened today. In 1995, I had a break in and lost my lefty A Bolt 270, Ruger 77 300 Mag and a Beretta BL3 O/U. Long since bought a safe, replaced the weapons and moved on. 20 years heals a lot of wounds. I really missed that A-Bolt medallion though. I was 21 when I bought it and it was the first really nice rifle I could afford. I shot moose, caribou, my best buck ever and I don't know how many coyotes etc. losing the other two sucked but they had no sentimental value.

In today's mail was a letter from the state police informing me they had some stolen property belonging to me. Couple calls later, some numbers verification and my wife is picking up my trusty old Browning tomorrow. No idea what kind of shape its in but I'm hoping its at least restorable and maybe just maybe wearing the same Redield Lo-Pro 3x9 it had when some asshole swiped it. Feel like I hit the lottery! 20 years!

So now I have a pair of 270s......I smell a project coming on!

Been traveling too much but I will get some lefty rifle eye candy on here before long

Cheers!

Let's hope for the best elmerfudd! Either way it makes for a very interesting story no matter what the rifle looks like now!

Finally got my Blaser K95 in 7x57r today after a very long wait! I'm happy as anything with this lightweight beast!
5lbs loaded no scope!

IMG-20150417-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20150417-WA0010.jpeg

IMG-20150417-WA0012.jpeg

With a Leica Magnus 1.5-10x24 scope
IMG-20150417-WA0014.jpeg

Incredible thing happened today. In 1995, I had a break in and lost my lefty A Bolt 270, Ruger 77 300 Mag and a Beretta BL3 O/U. Long since bought a safe, replaced the weapons and moved on. 20 years heals a lot of wounds. I really missed that A-Bolt medallion though. I was 21 when I bought it and it was the first really nice rifle I could afford. I shot moose, caribou, my best buck ever and I don't know how many coyotes etc. losing the other two sucked but they had no sentimental value.

In today's mail was a letter from the state police informing me they had some stolen property belonging to me. Couple calls later, some numbers verification and my wife is picking up my trusty old Browning tomorrow. No idea what kind of shape its in but I'm hoping its at least restorable and maybe just maybe wearing the same Redield Lo-Pro 3x9 it had when some asshole swiped it. Feel like I hit the lottery! 20 years!

So now I have a pair of 270s......I smell a project coming on!

Been traveling too much but I will get some lefty rifle eye candy on here before long

Cheers!
That is just awesome!!!! :)

Having serial numbers ain't always a bad thing! My grandfather's guns were stolen a couple of years ago (entire safe was taken - it wasn't bolted down...) and no serial numbers had been written down. so even if the guns are recovered at some point we will likely never see them... My grandfather has been dead for twenty years and the loss included his M70 from the 50s that he bought new day back when. No telling how many animals he took with that rifle.

Love the Blaser Tim!

Thanks fellas, will put up a range report on sunday evening when I have had time to go out and play around a bit :)

Gday Fellas
I am right handed but had a rifle explode on me when I was 10 and I lost 90% of my vision in my right eye and now shoot LH.

Up until recently getting a left handed version of rifle or shotgun has been rather difficult. I am slowly selling my RH rifles and replacing them with left handed versions. So far the collection includes
Rem 700 243
Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag
Sako 85 3006
Ruger 77 MKII 338RCM
Merkel 140 AE 450/400 Double
Ruger 77 MKII 416 Ruger ( custom built )
Zastava 404 Jeffrey's
Beretta 682 Gold Super Trap
WW Greener 12 GA Bore gun ( under contruction )
Ruger No. 1 450 3 1/4
I know a lot of people rubbish the Rugers but I find them a good rifle and good value for money AND they offer left handed versions in most of the popular calibers

Pictures!!!!!!!!! :)

And you'll find that around here the Ruger is well respected. I'm doing the same thing on the left hand bolts, although all of my shotguns are right and I see no reason to change.

Need a .300 wsm in left hand badly....

Here is a few pictures. From top to bottom
Rem 700 243
Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag
Sako 85 3006
Ruger 338RCM
Ruger 416 Ruger
Zastava 404 Jefferys

The photo of the floor plate belongs to the 416

011 (800x533).jpg
012 (533x800).jpg
010 (800x533).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding. ... I see you're a Leupold fan. :) And how I think I need a .243 left hand too! I'm also not sure I've seen a left hand Zastava. Love it.

The photo of the floor plate belongs to the 416

@ActionBob I know you aren't a lefty, but I also know you have a soft spot for Rugers with the Big 5 on the floor plate!

Yes Royal 27, I do love my Leupolds. The Zastava has a nice piece of timber on it and the wood to metal fit is perfect. The casting on the inside of the action is a little rough and the barrels are way too light, actually the whole rifle is a little light for a 404.

The floor plate was done locally by a young fella that has a bright future in this industry, he only does it as a hobby but his work is of the best quality and reasonably priced

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg