AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
KZN Hunting Shooting & Conservation
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Sweden
So I am spending a fair amount of time over in the UK and stumbled upon this little fella. It's a left-handed M70 Classic stainless and wood and it now belongs to me. It's a 30-06 with a CRF action, 3-position safety, and a 24" barrel. I want to have this rifle re-barrelled and create a slightly longer reaching, mountain-rifle type for use in the northern hemisphere until I move back to South Africa where it will serve as my open-plains rifle. I currently use a LH Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 308 and use Barnes TTXS 180 gn for the bushveld where I usually hunt. The options for the rebarrel job are 6.5x55, 7x57, 7x64. I am leaning heavily in favour of the 6.5 with a 24" standard sporter (non-threaded) barrel in SS. The 7x57 is too close to my 308.

I might save up and have a new stock made in English walnut and have the stainless steel cerakoted midnight blue. A barrel band and iron sights are also tempting, but might not serve a purpose at non-bushveld ranges.

Please let me know what you think. I do reload and this rifle has to be fit for purpose. Thanks!
IMG_4016.jpg
IMG_4017.jpg
IMG_4019.jpg

I think as a fellow lefty that's gonna make a heck of a rifle. :)

I own 5 left had rifles, four centerfire and one rimfire, two of the centerfire rifles are Winchester morel 70,s CRF in 7mm mag and 300wm and they are good shooting and good looking rifles.

DSCN9990 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a 6.5x55 I would say you are on the right track. The swede is my absolute favorite cartridge and it takes game with authority that you wouldn't think it has. The M70s are great rifles and I personally think, (this might be blasphemy) that they are an improvement on the old oberdorf action. I have one in .375 H&H and I love it. do it!

If you have to change it to any of the options you’ve given and for a mountain rifle I would suggest the 7x64. Lots of available bullets for hand loading in different weight and configuration to make it suitable for mountains, open plains, but even in the bush if push comes to shove.
The 6.5x55 may be below the required legal minimum for moose depending on the bullet weight and country, i.e Sweden.

Good luck with what you choose.

//Gus

If you have to change it to any of the options you’ve given and for a mountain rifle I would suggest the 7x64. Lots of available bullets for hand loading in different weight and configuration to make it suitable for mountains, open plains, but even in the bush if push comes to shove.
The 6.5x55 may be below the required legal minimum for moose depending on the bullet weight and country, i.e Sweden.

Good luck with what you choose.

//Gus

If I'm not mistaken the legal minimum is 140gn from the 6.5x55 for moose in Sweden. The 7x64 is a great option though.

Thanks for all the input so far. How does the Ruger M77 action compare to the Win M70 apart from being cast vs milled?

If I'm not mistaken the legal minimum is 140gn from the 6.5x55 for moose in Sweden. The 7x64 is a great option though.

It depends on the type of bullet, it also has to do with the energy at different distances etc. 9g and 2700J at 100m or 10g and 2000J at 100m is needed for moose, deer (red and fallow), mouflon, wolf and wild boar and a couple more. I used Sweden and moose as an example, just to let you know that there may be some legal thoughts about the caliber you choose, but you seem to be thinking about that as well, so all good.

//Gus

I’m planning on doing the same thing with my model 70 30-06. Thinking either 7x64 or 280 ackley improved now that factory brass is available in SA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg