Large rifle primer availability

Last time I bought they were on sale for $15 brick--wish I had cleaned the table off, now.

My local gun store just received a shipment of Winchester large rifle primers. I was told today that CCI was currently not shipping for whatever reason resulting in my LGS to cancel their order.

$99 per 1000

Because I mainly use a lot of large rifle and large pistol primers and had roughly 1500 primers of each left with quite a bit of reloading to do. Reluctantly, thinking I was way over paying for primers, I finally broke down and picked up 2000 of each last month at a LGS for $99/1000 back in December expecting an increase in primer prices after the first of the year.

The way you all are talking I guess I need to go back to the LGS to pick up 2000 more of each, if still in stock, LR, SR, LP, and SP before the prices go up even more.

Remember when we were SO picky about which LR primer was the best in a load that we would buy several different brands, plus match grade primers? Now we have to use what we can find and be happy we can load at all.

Scored 3lbs of powder today at my local gun shop. IMR 4895 and IMR 4064. My friend showed me an email he had just received today from Hodgdon stating that going forward powder would be very limited and prices would be increasing 35%. He had no large rifle or magnum primers and said he felt his store stock was likely at its high point and tight times were returning.

Update: if you’re in Alabama, Simmons Sooeting Goods in Bessemer, Al received 500000 primers this week. Mostly Winchester but they do have some Remington and CCI.

Last edited:
Reactions: WAB
Update: if you’re in Alabama, Simmons Sooeting Goods in Bessemer, Al received 500000 primers this week. Mostly Winchester but they do have some Remington and CCI.
Hyatt Guns in Charlotte NC had large rifle (Win and Federal) and large rifle magnum (Rem) in stock yesterday. $89.99-129.99 respectively.

I wonder what Redding, Lyman, Dillon, Forster, LE Wilson, ECT think about all this.

As per the military stuff. Id think small rifle and pistol would be the hardest to find not large rifle. Today's conflicts aren't conducted with 45 LC/Acp and 30-06 it's 556 and 9mm. I understand 308 is used but geez

Midway got Remington large rifle in last week, I immediately bought a brick for $119. They got CCI LR in today, it took me 5 minutes to get my credit card because I was sitting on the john when I got the email notification. They sold out before I could complete my purchase!

We just got 2 cases of WLR in at work for the first time in probably 2 years. $90 pretty brick. They lasted about an hour
:eek:o_O Wholly F**K!!

Am I correct 10 1000 count boxes per case times 2 equals 20 1000 count bricks gone in less than 1 hour.

Who knew your shop was receiving 2 cases of WLR primers and how long was the line around the corner?

Sounds fishy to me.....it's definitely an inside job.:E Rofl:

Just received a notice that Brownells has Large Rifle Primers

Last time I bought they were on sale for $15 brick--wish I had cleaned the table off, now.
I'm just having the same realization.
I bought a lot, but not a LOT

Just bought large pistol primers. I don't know if $109 is a temporary spike or the new normal, but I just loaded about 1000 rounds of 45 ACP and my stash was getting low, so I bit that bullet.

Large rifle magnum primers are just gone as far as I can tell. I've got enough to go on my booked hunt, but not enough to goof around fooling with stuff for fun, at least not until the cupboard is not so close to bare.

You are living in the Good Lords country!
I wish we had gun shops here in South Louisiana that carried that kind of reloading inventory.
I'm headed to north Mobile to work with some clients, and they are gun/hunting guys. I'm going scout the local inventory for primers and powder.

You are living in the Good Lords country!
I wish we had gun shops here in South Louisiana that carried that kind of reloading inventory.
I'm headed to north Mobile to work with some clients, and they are gun/hunting guys. I'm going scout the local inventory for primers and powder.

Good luck!

The 20 years I lived over there no one carried anything like that. It's been 8 or so years. Just not that many shooters compared to other places. The old saying you don't know if you don't look comes to mind.

I was lucky enough to pick up 2 bricks of Winchester LR Primers yesterday at my Gun club No hazmat fee and $99 ea. I have Seen UNIX on Graf&Sons and one or two major retailers I think Powder valley. I'm in need of Magnums myself ( just got a 416 Ruger) My Local Bass pro (Myrtle Beach SC) actually had a nice supply of Shotgun, Pistol and small rifle reg & mag recently. believe it or not. I think the drought is close to over but the Price wars are still in full effect.

:eek:o_O Wholly F**K!!

Am I correct 10 1000 count boxes per case times 2 equals 20 1000 count bricks gone in less than 1 hour.

Who knew your shop was receiving 2 cases of WLR primers and how long was the line around the corner?
surprise
Sounds fishy to me.....it's definitely an inside job.:E Rofl:
cut that in half. A case has 5 1000pc bricks so we had 10 gone in under an hour. it is a very large retail chain, so even in slow nights we have several hundred customers through our dept.

we don't know what is going to be on a truck until we unload it, so it's always a surprise! but lately more and more lenders and powder are showing up. we've actually had a steady supply of powder but now the more desired powders are becoming regular drops (h1000, h4350, h4831, etc)

Where at the Large Magnum Rifle Primers and Alliant RL 15 powders? Midway hasn't had them in months!
Powdervalley recently had both and has been having free shipping/hazmat specials lately. I'd keep checking there before anything else

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greylin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.