Killing Techniques of African lion or Asian leopard versus the Sabre-Tooth cat [Smilodon]

spoonieduck

AH veteran
Reaction score
I have the skull of an African lion shot in the Zambesi Valley and the casted skull of a Sabre-Toothed Cat excavated from the La Brea tars of Los Angeles. Both are large cats of similar size but the skulls are radically different. Most obvious, of course, are the out-sized upper canines of Smilodon, a cat that died out maybe 11,000 years ago. The canines project about 8 inches from the gum line. There are other fascinating differences, as well, but most readers will be familiar with the 'sabre teeth.'

The animals clearly had very different killing styles. Most of you all are quite familiar with nature films showing lions and tigers attacking both large and small prey. Generally speaking, these large cats 'terminate' a large animal by compressing its trachea until the prey suffocates or, alternatively, grasping its muzzle between their jaws until the prey suffocates.

The great sabre-tooth cat obviously killed its prey in manners dissimilar to that of lions and tigers. How do you all think that the Sabre-Tooth pulled it off?

Biting through neck, and breaking the spine?

I have read that jaguars have a tendency to bite through the back of the cranium/top of the neck to kill prey. The saber-tooth seems designed to be able to do the same. You wonder if new world cats developed different habits than old world cats.

Obviously I have no real clue to your question. Just a thought.

It is controversial in scientific circles what and how Smilodon killed its prey. His massive build speaks more for an predator who has captured only large and slow animals. The shape of the teeth suggests that it used them like daggers to inflict deep wounds on his prey , but these are all just assumptions.

Well, Smilodon and its cousins had incredibly beefy forearms. What they'd do is wrestle down their prospective meal and then, with surgical precision, use those canines to stab in the neck. The sabers were pretty fragile so they wouldn't use them willy nilly. There's also some evidence for group living but I'm not sure how concrete it is

Also, Smilodon preferred forest animals like tapirs. This was likely to avoid competition with the American lion who dined on grassland critters like horses and bison
https://www.cell.com/current-biolog...m/retrieve/pii/S0960982219307869?showall=true

Can you post a picture of the two skulls side by side to see size comparison?

Well, Smilodon and its cousins had incredibly beefy forearms. What they'd do is wrestle down their prospective meal and then, with surgical precision, use those canines to stab in the neck. The sabers were pretty fragile so they wouldn't use them willy nilly. There's also some evidence for group living but I'm not sure how concrete it is

Also, Smilodon preferred forest animals like tapirs. This was likely to avoid competition with the American lion who dined on grassland critters like horses and bison
https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(19)30786-9?_returnURL=https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0960982219307869?showall=true

The American lion and its european relative , the European cave lion , are very similar to the African lion , so they most likely killed their prey in the same way. As far as Smilodon is concerned , we have to stick to assumptions.

It is interesting to ask such questions about animals that no longer exist but which our ancestors encountered while hunting.

Can you post a picture of the two skulls side by side to see size comparison?
I'll try to post the pictures but, for now, understand that the Smilodon skull is less massive than a lion skull. Also, our attention is drawn to the upper canines but, just as interesting, the mandible is light-weight and fragile looking. The lower canines are far smaller than any of the lions mentioned. On the other hand, Smilodon's gape was tremendous at 135 degrees or more whereas a lion's gape is closer to 90 degrees. It looks very much like Smilodon, dropped his mandible low so that it 1: wouldn't get broken in the struggle and 2: provided adequate room for the tips of the upper 'sabres' to be driven home. Related to this is that the horizontal crest on the back of the skull [nuchal crest] is much better developed in Smilodon than in a lion. This crest attacked neck muscles so Smildon likely had extremely powerful muscles on the back of the heck. He likely used these muscles to draw his head well back, probably at the moment of strike.

Powerful rear neck muscles combined with an incredible gape, likely meant that--during attack or threat--ithe canines were sticking almost straight out, just a little like a viper in full strike.

Some people have done experiments suggesting that Smilodon PUSHED his prey over; held it down; then worked towards the throat where he inserted his canines, perhaps ripping out his carotid artery producing brain death in a minute of two.. I think this scenario doesn't fit hunting strategies all of us have seen. A cat creeps as close as he can to an unsuspecting prey animal. No doubt this is what Smilodon did, too. Depending on the species, the cat tries to launch his attack from an ideal distance. Almost invariably, the prey animal detects the presence of the cat just before or during the initial phase of the charge. The prey animal turns to run, which means that Smilodon has no opportunity to 'push things over.' The charge is a dynamic process between hunter and hunted and usually puts our cat on the prey animals rump or rear flank This is exactly what we see when a lion or tiger attacks a large animal. and, from a distance, a Smilodon attack might have looked a lot like a lion attack.

Up close, however, something different is happening. Smilodon binds to the rear of the prey animal just like a lion or tiger. Also, like a lion or tiger, he bites the prey animal's rump or flank while trying to hold the animal. But here, Smilodon has an advantage, He cocks back his head, exposes his fangs and drives his teeth deep. The longer he can hold his prey, the more stabbing bites he can deliver. His canines are adopted for very large, powerful prey animals, so usually the prey animal shakes his tormenter off and runs or limps away. Smilodon follows, launching more slashing attacks depending on the opportunity. They prey, getting weaker and weaker, dies of 1,000 deep cuts.

My theory may be criticized on several grounds. Some people seem to thing Pleistocene America was more heavily populated by predators than are the most pristine parts of Africa today. This can't be true. Animal populations can't rise above levels determined, ultimately, by grasses and forbes. Even should it take Smilodon many hours to complete a kill, he was no more likely to lose it to an American lion than an Asiatic Lion is to lose his prey to a Bengal tiger. Others may say that my kind of kill would have fractured a lot of canine teeth but I don't think so. The 'bite' or 'stab' is directly into the largest muscles of the body i.e. the canines won't strike bone. Also, when he withdraws his canines, perhaps producing deep slashing wounds, he is pulling with, not against, the fibers of the muscle. Others say that the gape, as large as it is, isn't adequate for disemboweling a large ruminant like a bison. Maybe not but the cat wasn't aiming at the gut. He was aiming at the gluts. It wasn't a 'bite' but more like throwing darts into a dart board.

Then again, I don't know. I'm just looking at two old skulls.

What kind of environments did the Sabertooth live in? How did they accomplish the actual attack?

On TV's nature programs, lions hunting often looks like a game of football on flat ground. Some other cats seem to invariably go for very short distance ambushes from elevated positions: tree, large rock, or down a mountain side.

What kind of environments did the Sabertooth live in? How did they accomplish the actual attack?

On TV's nature programs, lions hunting often looks like a game of football on flat ground. Some other cats seem to invariably go for very short distance ambushes from elevated positions: tree, large rock, or down a mountain side.
Smilodon was strictly an American species. Its remains have been found in numerous locations but the greatest assemblage in in the great predator trap that was the La Brea tarpits. I believe the bones of many hundreds of individuals have been found, second only to those of the dire wolf. The American lion is there but not nearly as numerous. The tarpits functioned as traps for maybe 40,000 years which is a lot of time, of course. They've examined pollens and find that much of the time, the area was mixed woodlands but not rainforest or dense timber. The weather and cover may have been something like southern Utah, today. Bison remains suggest that bison must have migrated in and out of the region perhaps part of seasonal migrations just as do modern bison before the Midwest got chopped up into farms.

Therefore, these may be the kinds of terrain dire wolves and sabre-Smilodon operated in. There would have been enough cover for a cat to get moderately close to a prey animal just like lions living in the southern parts of Africa, today. Does the kind of terrain in southern California 20,000 years ago favor Smilodon over the American lion? I don't know. I don't even know which species was more numerous. Just because Smilodon was more often caught in the tarpits doesn't prove it was more numerous than the lion. It only proves that more Smilodon blundered into the tar. A suspicious finding is that only one or two coyotes have been found in the tar. Coyotes are highly suspicious animals that might have been put off by the foreign smell of tar or other factors that we don't understand.

When watching African lions trying to kill elephants in Botswanna, it becomes clear that the elephant's major advantage is a very thick skin. A lion's teeth don't seem to be long enough to penetrate it. If they manage to kill an elephant, it is because a large pride seems to swarm it, climbing all over it, chewing on items big enough to fit in their mouths--ears, tail, tip of truck--until the elephant escapes or collapses from exhaustion. To my knowledge, there is no evidence that Smilodon killed elephants although a few Columbian mammoths [a savannah animal] and even few mastodons [a woodland animal] are mired in La Brea. But, with their long canines, Smilodon--if he so desired-- was probably a better elephant killer than was a lion. His teeth are more than long enough to penetrate thick skin and tear up underlying soft tissues with associated hemorrhage.

A related saber-toothed cat was the large scimitar-toothed cat. There are none in La Brea. It's canines were long but not nearly as long as Smilodon. It WAS an elephant killer. The lair of one of these beasts was found in north Texas. The cat or cats had dragged numerous young mammoths into the den, perhaps to feed babies. This is not to say that this cat only killed small elephants. It may have developed techniques to kill elephants far too large to drag anywhere.

Smilodon fatilis and gracilis are North American denizens. Smilodon populator was a South American native.

As far as I know , Smilodon migrated to South-america after the Great American Interchange and there led to the extinction of the Thylacosmilus , the top marsupial predator in this area.

I think I read that some of the SA cats could get 500-900 pounds. They found one skull that came from an estimated 930 pound cat. :Wideyed:

Smilodon fatilis and gracilis are North American denizens. Smilodon populator was a South American native.
'American" refers, of course, North, South and Central America. The marsupial sabre-tooth of South America disappeared before or shortly after the two continents linked up. I don't know why it disappeared but it disappeared right along many other interesting marsupials maybe five million years ago. The only survivors seem to be a few species of possum.

I once read a theory that smilodon killed by piercing the spinal cord with its long teeth. The researcher's argument was that the distance between the teeth was a perfect fit for a particular prey specie (I don't recall which one). I see some problems with this theory. Not all animals have the same perfect size pairing. Seems like a risk of breaking off a tooth if the prey zigged just before the spinal cord was penetrated, etc. However, it's still an interesting theory.

Hard to tell how he used those long fangs. I suppose he couldve also used them similiar to a hog or javalina and just inflicted blood letting damage, then just followed it. Kinda like we do too. Haha

Hard to tell how he used those long fangs. I suppose he couldve also used them similiar to a hog or javalina and just inflicted blood letting damage, then just followed it. Kinda like we do too. Haha
I was also thinking about the way a boar uses it's tusks and strong neck to stab and rip to defend itself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!