KAHLES Helia Red Dot on Winchester Model 70 Safari Express

JHT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Has anyone mounted a KAHLES Helia or other red dot over the bolt on a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express by installing a one-piece picatinny rail? I'm just trying to figure whether this is an option. Thank you.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Well my first question is where are you finding the one piece pic rail?

My second question is have you considered how much the one piece pic rail is going to cover the action? I am running a Warne two piece mount with QD rings and two different scopes. If I were getting into some fast and furious shooting, I would be taking the scope off to facilitate faster reloading.

I KNOW I'M NOT A PH. That acknowledgement should keep a few quiet and prevent some spilled libations. I ALSO BELIEVE THAT RELYING ON THE PH TO SAVE YOU IS THE MARK OF A FOOL. Whoops! There went the libations.

Back to my point, I am almost ready to have the mounts machined to get rid of any unnecessary overhang on the action. That's how serious I am about being able to reload this rifle quickly. I am not particularly special or gifted, but I have long arms and I can shoot my rifle very rapidly for as big/long of a cartridge as it holds. The magazine is not very big at 3+1. A six round magazine would really be a nice touch.

JHT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Well my first question is where are you finding the one piece pic rail?

My second question is have you considered how much the one piece pic rail is going to cover the action? I am running a Warne two piece mount with QD rings and two different scopes. If I were getting into some fast and furious shooting, I would be taking the scope off to facilitate faster reloading.

I KNOW I'M NOT A PH. That acknowledgement should keep a few quiet and prevent some spilled libations. I ALSO BELIEVE THAT RELYING ON THE PH TO SAVE YOU IS THE MARK OF A FOOL. Whoops! There went the libations.

Back to my point, I am almost ready to have the mounts machined to get rid of any unnecessary overhang on the action. That's how serious I am about being able to reload this rifle quickly. I am not particularly special or gifted, but I have long arms and I can shoot my rifle very rapidly for as big/long of a cartridge as it holds. The magazine is not very big at 3+1. A six round magazine would really be a nice touch.
Thank you. You’ve answered my question. I was so caught up on how good it would look and how easy it would be to aim that I failed to take into account how difficult it would be to reload.

Wyatt Smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Would weaver type two piece base set work, only using the front base? That would mount your dot on the receiver ring.

Reactions: JHT

Muskox

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
Lots of people make M70 1913 rails.

Reactions: JHT

JHT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I went ahead and ordered a traditional 1-6x24 riflescope, 2 piece base and QD rings today. I was wanting to shoot only with irons but my PH recommended a scope or red dot. If I had more time I might have experimented with the red dot but my time is ticking on an rapidly approaching impromptu 2021 bonus booking.

mneilh

Reaction score
I have a Winchester model 70 Safari Express in .458WM and have a Burris Fastfire red dot on a Warne base on the receive ring. It works a treat as it very accurate and quicker to reload than when a scope is in place. Most importantly you are never going to get smacked in the head with the red dot sight - unlike a scope. A rifle without a scope seems to handle so much better !

JHT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I have a Winchester model 70 Safari Express in .458WM and have a Burris Fastfire red dot on a Warne base on the receive ring. It works a treat as it very accurate and quicker to reload than when a scope is in place. Most importantly you are never going to get smacked in the head with the red dot sight - unlike a scope. A rifle without a scope seems to handle so much better !
Thank you! Do you mind posting a pic or PMing one?

Last edited:

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
We put one on my wife's Whitworth 375 using a weaver front scope base, she will us it on buffalo this year. I had one on my 9.3 double but she also liberated it onto her ruger 9.3x62 (Had to do some machine work on the base to get it to work on the ruger)

You will have no problems getting it to work on your M70 with just a weaver style front base.

Scrumbag

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Red dots are awesome. Have a look at Recknagel for mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roshea2453!

Latest profile posts

flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.