Just ordered a .416. Need load data, preferably RL17

My 416 Ruger Will drive tacks with the brake. The thing about breaks is they have to be the right wall thickness to be compatible with the barrel harmonics that is what Don Allen of Dakota arms told me years ago when he was living.
Barrel harmonics are affected more by load development than by a 3/4 oz. weight hanging off the end of the barrel. Besides... as I have stated in previous posts... I think people get hung up on getting every last 0.1 MOA out of their hunting rifles... I don't think it is ethical to take shots at game beyond 300-350 yards, so a 1.25" group at 100 yards is more than enough accuracy for anything deer sized and up. And yes I do believe PEOPLE shoot their rifle better with a brake on it because there is less recoil and therefore less muscle tension involved. Don't blame that on the mechanics of the barrel harmonics though. I'm not being condescending. I'm just saying, if my rifle isn't accurate, it's probably me or something much more significant that's wrong. If your talking about .2MOA difference, I'm not concerned about it. I'll never notice it anywhere but off a bench.

im not saying muzzle breaks always hurt accuracy. but I am saying that taking a muzzle break off will not hurt accuracy and may even improve it.

-matt
I understand Matt. The brake I had on my 330 Dakota was only 85 thousands wall thickness. I talked to don and he said that he has noticed if the wall thickness isn't at least .125 you get to much barrel whip and ruins accuracy. My 330 didn't shoot for s--t after I had the brake put on.

The Browning BOSS system demonstrates how subtle changes in weight distribution at the muzzle affect accuracy. One cannot blame simply the presence or absence of a brake. As for its effect upon the shooter, some are more comfortable with, others without (some would rather deal with the concussion, others the kick).

So has anyone tried to load 450 grain woodleighs into a .416 Ruger yet? It appears, based on the SAAMI drawings that the ruger actually allows .01" more bullet to stick out of the case than the .416 RM does. I would think you should be able to 2050-2100 fps with them and they would be a real thumper.

So has anyone tried to load 450 grain woodleighs into a .416 Ruger yet? It appears, based on the SAAMI drawings that the ruger actually allows .01" more bullet to stick out of the case than the .416 RM does. I would think you should be able to 2050-2100 fps with them and they would be a real thumper.
No one has messed with this yet?

I don't think id use a 450gr in either the RM or the Ruger. these cartridges don't have a great deal of powder room to begin with so stuffing a longer bullet in there doesn't seem like a great idea. now the 416 Rigby would be a great cartridge to use the heavier bullet in.

-matt

Chris did you get the rifle yet??

Chris did you get the rifle yet??
I just found out from the gunshop that it will be here next week. He had a hard time getting one of his wholesalers to supply one. I don't know why. Some suppliers won't even deal with NY now because they don't want the hassle so I am limited in who I can get it from. But he found me one and it will hopefully be in by Friday or Saturday next week! As to whether shooting a 450 grainer, Woodleigh makes one for the Rigby but the make one where they moved the cannelure up a bit so that it could be crimped shorter. They market it for the .416 RM so I assume someone must do it... even at 2050-2100fps it would make one heckuva good buff round I'd imagine.

I'll post some pictures of it when it comes in.

So I got my Hawkeye African in and it is gorgeous! We'll except for the stupid thread protector at the end of the barrel... I shot it with some 350 grain Speer hot cores loaded to roughly 2400FPS. I could only put 5 rounds through it at that sitting before my shoulder became a little tender. The only true big bore I had fired before this was one round from a .458 WM. I don't remember it being that bad, but 5 rounds was all I dared so as not to develop a flinch. Could have something to do with the 1/2" thick hard rubber recoil pad Ruger puts on there, and the fact that I was shooting sitting and leaning into the rifle over shooting sticks. It also only weighs 8lbs with scope and everything. Shoots great though. It was a pretty moderate load of 80 grains of 2000-MR but it was still potent! I have a Leupold VX-6 on layaway at my LGS so in the meantime, I mounted a Weaver 1-3 on it and it held up to those shots very well and doesn't seem to be bothered by the recoil in the slightest. I'll post some pics when I get a second.

One Question. Does anyone have load data for a 350 grain Speer Hot Core for this shell with Alliant 2000-MR powder? I don't have a hornady manual and I don't want to buy one just to see if they have load data for this one cartiridge and one load. The load data I got was from Nosler and they only list a 400 grain bullet so I used the max charge for that for my load for the 350 but it seems like it was a little mild as per the low velocity. The load is totally safe as it is the load listed for their 400 grain Solid which is brass turned and solid shank. So I knew it would be fine for the thin jacketed lead core 350 speer. This was the best powder for velocity they listed and they show a 400 grain at an easy 2350 with this powder and a mid range load. So I figure you ought to be able to get 2500 with this bullet. Any thoughts?

IMAG0237.jpg
IMAG0241.jpg
IMAG0240.jpg

Good looking rifle Chris!

Those Ruger African stocks are amongst the most comfortable factory produced rifle stocks I've ever held.
Several years back I missed buying a near new Africa in 9.3x62 for a steal of a price and I've regretted it ever since.

Very nice rifle.

Good looking rifle Chris!
Thanks! It's a really nice piece of American walnut with striations in the growth rings! It looks nice but the wood is not so figured that I'd be scared to walk through the woods with it and scuff it up. The ebony friend cap just touches the whole thing off nicely. Ruger does a great job on a rifle for about $1,000!

Those Ruger African stocks are amongst the most comfortable factory produced rifle stocks I've ever held.
Several years back I missed buying a near new Africa in 9.3x62 for a steal of a price and I've regretted it ever since.

Very nice rifle.
Oh it's too bad you missed it! I love the 9.3X62! If I didn't already have a .375h&h I would probably own one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg