Judging Roan Antelope

Rampokker

Reaction score
Member of
SAHGCA
Hunted
South Africa
Does anyone have tips on field judging trophy size on the Roan antelope.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunting Roan Antelope

watermark.php

27 inch Roan bull hunted while feeding algae in the river!!

In English Roan Antelope (Hippotragus equinus) and in French known as Antilope Chevaline, Antilope Rouane and Hippotrague, Roan Antelope is a large, prestigious and sought after antelope by hunters sportsmen.

Six subspecies have been described, but the validity of most of these is still in doubt, and recent genetic studies have shown that only the western African subspecies (koba) constitutes a genetically separate group from those in the rest of Africa. The Roan Antelope formerly occurred very widely in the savanna woodlands and grasslands of sub-Saharan Africa, but has been eliminated from large parts of its former range. Remarkably, the species remains locally common in West and Central Africa, while in East and southern Africa, the traditional antelope strongholds, the species is now very rare. The species is now locally extinct in Burundi, Eritrea and possibly Gambia. It was also eliminated from Swaziland and later reintroduced to the privately owned Mkhaya Nature Reserve.

Roan Antelope stand about a metre and half at the shoulder (average shoulder height: 143 cm (56 inches)) and a large male weighs between 260 kg (570 lb) and 320 kg (700 lb) while the average weight of the Roan is about 250 kg (550 lb). It has a tawny coat with a black and white mask (lighter in females) which gives it a special character. Named for the "roan" color (a reddish brown), they have a lighter underbelly.

Their habitat consists of savannah woodlands and grasslands, and the bushveld and lowveld of southern Africa, with the cover of high grasses and woody plants playing an important role for both grazing and calving. A water-dependent grazer/browser.

They live in herds of up to 45 individuals with one or two large males but it is more common to see dozens of animals together forming harem groups with a single dominant male. Roan Antelope commonly fight among themselves for dominance of their herd, brandishing their horns while both animals are on their knees.

Groups of males are very rare however the male loners, young and old are fairly common. It is better to hunt the loners as it is disturbing to shoot the dominant male in a herd since it can take up to a year before another male is accepted within the harem.

The hunt takes place either by encounter in the great grasslands plains in the middle of the day or by tracking which is very delicate and hard. A fairly powerful class of rifle must be used such as a 300 or 375HH. An average trophy measures 65 cm (25.6 inches), and 70 cm (27.6 inches) for a good trophy, anything above 70 cm (27.6 inches) makes for a great trophy. In 8 years of hunting in Benin where the density of Roan is very high, average horn length was 64 cm (25.2 inches) and 68 cm (26.8 inches) in CAR.

watermark.php

Big 32 inch Roan bull hunted in Central African Republic.

watermark.php

Two 27.5 inch Roan bulls.

watermark.php

Two 27 inch Roan bulls.

watermark.php

30 and 29 inch Roan bulls.

watermark.php

32 and 29 inch Roan bulls.

watermark.php

Roan Antelope.

watermark.php

29 and 30.5 inch Roan bulls.

watermark.php

30 inch Roan.

watermark.php

28.5 inch Roan bull.

watermark.php

Herd of Roan Antelope, check out the bull...

watermark.php

Roan bull and cow.

watermark.php

Roan bull and cow.

watermark.php

Roan bull.

watermark.php

Roan in water!!

watermark.php

Roan Antelope

watermark.php

Roan bull.

watermark.php

Herd of Roan Antelope.

25.5 inches Roan Antelope
full

26 inches Roan Antelope
full

27 inches Roan Antelope
full

27 inches Roan Antelope
full

28 inches Roan Antelope
full

29 inches Roan Antelope
full

29 inches Roan Antelope
full

31 inches Roan Antelope
full

32 inches Roan Antelope
full

32 inches Roan Antelope
full

33 inches Roan Antelope
full

33.5 inches Roan Antelope
full

34 inches Roan Antelope
full

35 inches Roan Antelope
full

Thank you for the information on this! Roan is on my list!

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info and pics

Reedy we both need on of these! We will have to put Pieter on this!

Pieter and I will be hunting roan this year! I find it interesting that some of the bulls are really red colored, which the name roan would indicate, but others are gray. Can anyone say which is the most preferred color?

Pieter and I will be hunting roan this year! I find it interesting that some of the bulls are really red colored, which the name roan would indicate, but others are gray. Can anyone say which is the most preferred color?

Hi Charlie,
Personally I like the more red variation, but only my personal preference. There all beautiful creatures!

Some terrific Roan pics. Love the secondary growth on a couple of those mature old bulls.

Roan is the trophy I seek most. Hope to be able to hunt one in a free-range setting someday.

Some terrific Roan pics. Love the secondary growth on a couple of those mature old bulls.

Roan is the trophy I seek most. Hope to be able to hunt one in a free-range setting someday.

I agree, I love hunting old mature bulls, I have no interest in bulls in there prime, no matter how big they are! I like the character in the old bulls

Awesome charlie, best of luck!

I want a good representative of the species. This color difference is indeed interesting . Perhaps some PHs can chime in on this!

My roan of 29 inches from Mpumalanga. Very tough antelope!

DSCN3367.JPG
DSCN3306.JPG
DSCN3298.JPG
DSCN3246.JPG
DSCN3328.JPG
ROAN (8).jpg
ROAN (11).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross