Joining the 404 Jeffrey Cult

Nice rifle @TOBY458. Also built mine using a Win M70 375H&H Stainless Classic donor rifle. Not too many stainless 404's around to my knowledge (which is very limited according to...well...lots of people).

Nice rifle @TOBY458. Also built mine using a Win M70 375H&H Stainless Classic donor rifle. Not too many stainless 404's around to my knowledge (which is very limited according to...well...lots of people).

hmmmmm.....

I've got a Win70 .375 Stainless Classic that I love... but that hasnt been getting a whole lot of attention lately....

Here is my 404 with the buffalo I got this year in the Save hunting with Mokore. It was built on a VZ24 action, LW barrel, and wood from Roger Vardy. All put together by Piper Rifles in Az. I did the stock finishing. Used 400gr. North Fork softs and solids at 2300 fps, rifle weighs 8.5# and is a joy to carry and shoot.
xZ15rAEl.jpg

b0nqpUcl.jpg
Nice bull!

Thokau, I doubt that I could have resisted it either. How does it shoot? I'm not familiar with your scope mount, what kind is it?

it shoots well 25-30mm scattering circle on 100m distance with Bonecrusher Bullets from SAX Ammunition.
The mount is a Suhler mount, but i replaced it and mounted a Steiner Ranger 2-8x42 scope with a Ziegler mount wich is an evolution of the old Suhler mount.

Would it be possible for you to post a clear picture of the action rails also a clear picture of the magazine follower. I have discovered after looking at five different .404js. there seems to be at least 2 different methods of feeding. One relies more on magazine follower design with straight wide rails the other, as in my original Jefferies (and Rigby) rely on straight wide rails with a more detailed magazine follower. A current american gunsmith using CZ actions, relies on rail modifications (more like a rounded Z) for feeding. A few days ago I saw a beautiful CZ .404 the rails were straight and the magazine follower was highly modified.

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Hello Lon,
The Rifle is at the Gunsmith for mounting an Old English Recoil Pad.
If its back, i send some pictures

Last edited:
Hello thokau,

Beautiful rifle, indeed!
I am also interested to know more about the internal action modifications....
The scope was an old Schmidt & Bender 1,75-6 x 36?
Congrats!

CF

Yes, but i exchanged it for a Steiner Ranger.
Safety is a horizontal three position saefty

Hello
unfortunatly i have no detail information about this gun.
K.-H. Krieghoff is not alieve anymore.
A friend asked me, if know someone who is interested in a big game rifle.
When i saw the rifle, i decidet immidiately to buy them yourself.
Attached i send a few more pictures.
P1020820.JPG
P1020821.JPG
P1020822.JPG
P1020823.JPG
P1020824.JPG
P1020825.JPG
P1020826.JPG

@ Lon Denney

Hello Lon can you see what you want?

The 404 Jeffery caliber rifle really are starting to get a following status by hunters. Recently quite a few 404 Jeffery rifles were sold at JS Gunsmith shop of Johan Greyling, my mentor where I avail my time when I have a chance to work on a rifle build...what is great about this is that about all the buyers are young men, all interesting in making a career as a PH...their choice being the 404 Jeffery really says it all..I know hunters who have about all the Dangerous game calibers in their safes but still yearn for a 404 Jeffery...it really is a rifle caliber with a great classic history to back it up...I enjoy my 1931 , 404 Jeffery hunting rifle every time I pick it up to tke it for a hunt...it never seizes to amazes me with it`s great penetration and performance.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg