Janssen Express

Patrillos

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hi
Anyone has heard about Janssen doubles?
Any input?
This one is chambered for 475 NE n°2 Jeffery.
Thanks

IMG-20220420-WA0023.jpg
IMG-20220420-WA0029.jpg
IMG-20220420-WA0027.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have heard of Janssen, he was a Belgian gunmaker from the Liège gun making school. Mostly known for high-end side-by-side shotguns, but apparently also into double rifles.

(btw, fils = sons in French, so Janssen & fils = Janssen and sons)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 7.04.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 7.04.17 AM.png
    512.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 7.04.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 7.04.19 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
Think I’ve got a catalog of there’s from the 20s
I’ve seen a .360ne double of there’s

The 360 I saw looked good
Good wood to metal fit action felt tight

I know that some higher end guns sidelocks were built by the firm, but all that I have handled were basic boxlocks or hammer guns. The majority were built prior to WWII. I believe production ended not long after the war. It is interesting to see a double rifle. It seems to follow the utilitarian design of the shotguns I have handled.

I know that some higher end guns sidelocks were built by the firm, but all that I have handled were basic boxlocks or hammer guns. The majority were built prior to WWII. I believe production ended not long after the war. It is interesting to see a double rifle. It seems to follow the utilitarian design of the shotguns I have handled.
Yes almost has the look of a Shotgun to Rifle conversion when I first saw it ?

Wondered the same. Though the action reinforcement is somewhat unique for a typical Belgian boxlock of the period. The barrel flat markings would tell the story.

The lock is Greener system.
Which Greener system? A clear close-up of the action and the barrel flats would tell us what you have. Could be a Greener clone, but is more likely an Anson & Deeley. The non-hammer guns I have seen were A&D. A&D by the way is a very strong action and the basis of most English boxlock double rifles.

The barrel flats are underneath the barrel chambers where all the marks are located.

I think he meant the Top Fastener was Greener type, this is also more common on Shotguns then rifles !

Of course used on Rifles also, I have seen that same action reinforcment on some Euro shotguns when I was looking at building a rifle on a shotgun action myself some time back .

Where are you located @Patrillos ?

My 470 Merkel wears a Greener locking system.
I live in Northern Spain, Sarg

hola amigo @Patrillos, la información del rifle está en las partes planas debajo de los cañones y en el nivel freático, en la parte inferior interna de la acción, ¡tendrá que quitar los cañones de la acción para verlos, por favor!

Not sure if I got that right but that might help & yes the Merkel uses the Greener type top fastener or Third Bite, others are Dolls Head or Hidden/Concealed third fastener ?

Last edited:
Yes now there is some good info, be nice to see the action flats also, but that shows it has proper Double Rifle barrels, with I think Dovetail Lumps or under lugs ?

Thank you !

Sorry for the misunderstanding about the action type. Yes, that is a cross bolt that is often called a Greener style lock - though several generations of German gunmakers would protest. Greener did in fact make a couple of proprietary action designs, but this looks like an Anson & Deeley lock which is a good thing on a rifle. The markings on the flats are what one would expect to see on a purpose built rifle of this period rather than something more recently created from a shotgun action. In other words, I think it is a purpose built Janssen Brothers double rifle. Assuming the barrel solder is still sound, the barrels are on face, etc you could have an interesting and useful rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boob415

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.