Is the 7mm prc suitable for plains game?

I have a question for all you that hunted plains game. I have a 7mm PRC. Is it suitable for plains game? The biggest game I will be chasing is kudu and blue wildebeest. Thank you in advance. I do enjoy reading all the posts on this site.
Nosler Accubonds, Barnes TTSXBT, you will be fine

If you’re gonna use Accubonds or Barnes TTSXBT bullets you might as well shoot a 7 REM Mag as you’re not gonna see the benefits of a round designed for longer range hunting and shooting. The Accubonds and Barnes TTSXBT bullets have a shit BC and are a waste of time in the 7 PRC. If you’re loading your own then consider the Accubond LR 168 or 175 grain bullets and Berger 175gr Elite Hunter. And like I said in another post the new Federal 170gr Terminal Ascent is great. The bullet is a bonded bullet if that’s important to you. One I have recovered so far retained 79% of its mass. Bullet weighed 144 grains.

I have a question for all you that hunted plains game. I have a 7mm PRC. Is it suitable for plains game? The biggest game I will be chasing is kudu and blue wildebeest. Thank you in advance. I do enjoy reading all the posts on this site.
Certainly. I would stay away from Hornady bullets. They tend to tear animals up in these high performing calibers.
Practice off of sticks and you will be good to go!

I am using 142 gr Nosler AccuBond LR in my 6.5 PRC. Accuracy and BC are excellent. To date, terminal performance has been very good.

I would stay away from the highly frangible bullets that are the darlings of the long range folks. Vitals are further forward on African game, often resulting in shots through the shoulder. Shots also tend to be relatively close, resulting in high impact velocity for a cartridge like yours. This requires a heavily constructed bonded bullet.

Certainly. I would stay away from Hornady bullets. They tend to tear animals up in these high performing calibers.
Practice off of sticks and you will be good to go!
that is a blanket statement!

The hornady CX (formerly gmx) is a mono metal design and is perfect for Africa. I have found them to perform exactly like Barnes. Would be a good choice in the slim pickings offered in 7mm prc factory loads.

This thread went exactly how I expected it to. . . Contact your ph, find out what he recommends, then send us a report and pictures of the animals you take. It is very likely they will all have n entry hole and an exit hole so please wash the blood off before the pix. Best of luck OP

The 7mms are a sweet class of caliber.

I personally use a 7x57mm Mauser and have had immense success with mine over the years.
IMG_1512.jpeg
IMG_2307.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_1532.jpeg
IMG_1533.jpeg
IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_2749.jpeg

Now, taking the immensely high velocities of the 7mm PRC into account, it would be quite counter productive to use cup & core style bullets in this caliber. Bullet disintegration would almost be guaranteed. As a matter of fact, I genuinely wonder why Hornady would offer cartridges of this caliber loaded with their Red Tip ELD-X bullets. Those bullets are not sturdily enough constructed for these excessive velocities.

My recommendation would be for a heavy-for-weight monometal bullet like the 175Gr Barnes TSX. They will hold together & expand well even in the 3000 FPS velocity range.

All the best.

Last edited:
The gentleman I was partnered up with when I hunted at Limcroma in 2023 used a 7 PRC with 175 ELDXs. They worked well on all the plains game he shot, including a blue wildebeest, which ran about 50 yards into the bush. The only animal that ran any significant distance was a blesbok that was shot inadvertently low and forward in the front of the lungs.

That said, a monometal or bonded bullet would be a better choice than the EDLX. My choice would be a Hornady CX or Barnes TTSX.

Absolutely. I used my 6.5 prc last fall for Kudu,zebra,baboon,impala and Blue wildabeast. The wildabeast dropped in its tracks with 1 shot. Hornady precision hunter

I have shot a lot of game including plaines game in Africa up to and including Eland with my 7MM Rem Mag with velocities similar to your 7MM PRC. I get nearly 3100 ft/sec with 168 grain Nosler Accubond LR. While the ELD-X will probably work most of the time on the plaines game you mentioned, I would personally choose a bonded bullet or a mono metal bullet like Barnes or Hornady CX.

Yes!

that is a blanket statement!

The hornady CX (formerly gmx) is a mono metal design and is perfect for Africa. I have found them to perform exactly like Barnes. Would be a good choice in the slim pickings offered in 7mm prc factory loads.
Sure you are certainly right about that. The CX is brand new, a TSX copy, and one I’ve not used yet. I was referring to the many other bullets (non DG) that in high velocity calibers do much damage.
I’ve hunted all sizes of animals with many different bullets and calibers. Remember I am a rancher who shoots predators and deer in numbers annually.
I am sure the CX would be every bit as good as a TSX. I wish we had some reports here on AH on this new bullet.

Hard to find a better caliber!!

I am a Barnes fan and am partial to them based on the performance they have shown in several different calibers.
Specifically in my 7mm RUM I have shot the 160 gr Barnes TSX in plains game with wonderful results.
My favorite bullet is the 145 gr Barnes LRX and if Barnes would have had this bullet when I used the 160 gr on plains game, I would have used it then.
Wonderful bullets but I realize and recognize they are not the only good bullets out there. They have worked for me so I have stuck with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martlee

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?