AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD,CA) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
I was wondering if anyone else was using a bullet for deer hunting that is longer than the case that holds it. I've been shooting deer for the past seven years with a sub-sonic 300 Blk with 194 gr bullets and when I stood one up alongside the case it looked a bit odd.
300 BLK.jpg

That's pretty cool to see. 300 BO is one deformed looking cartridge.

Well yes I do to, here is my .510 WSM with the 750gr Amax .

Are those Lehigh bullets you are using & how have you found them on Deer last 7 years ?

I have been looking at the Maker Bullets recently for both the BLK & WSM !

.510 WSM A Max.jpg

Well yes I do to, here is my .510 WSM with the 750gr Amax .

Are those Lehigh bullets you are using & how have you found them on Deer last 7 years ?

I have been looking at the Maker Bullets recently for both the BLK & WSM !

View attachment 504603
They are Lehigh Defense 194 gr. Maximum Expansion bullets and so far, I have shot 4 Whitetail bucks with them, and all were one shot kills.

What fps and ft/lbs are you all getting from these combinations?

Out of curiosity. I bought a couple boxes of a 6.5CM subsonic ammo just to try it through a suppressed rifle. Yup, it is quiet. I suspect it would work on a deer from a tree stand, but haven’t tried. I think the energy level was really low, around 300 ft/lbs.

Muzzle vel. is around 1030 fps. At the muzzle it has 457 ft/lbs. at 100 yds it carries 427 ft/lbs. Sub-sonic ballistics are a little bit different than what most of us are accustomed to.

Muzzle vel. is around 1030 fps. At the muzzle it has 457 ft/lbs. at 100 yds it carries 427 ft/lbs. Sub-sonic ballistics are a little bit different than what most of us are accustomed to.
That's why I use supers on game. It is more than double the energy.

For where and how I hunt super-sonic loads aren't necessary as all they would do would be to upset the neighbors. With my suppressor and sub-sonic loads, the neighbors don't even know I'm shooting. Besides that, I have yet to recover a bullet as they just want to pass on through and none of the deer have run more than maybe 30 yards before going down.

I would say this is pretty common with artillery rounds but not so much with small arms. Although it is common in auto pistol cartridges with heavy bullets. I used to load a 160 grain 9mm bullet in a 9mm parabellum. I was longer than the case but still could be driven to 800fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!