Hookboy88

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
In January or February of 2024 I will be traveling to Ireland to see a good friend who lives in Cork. Unfortunately he does not do any big game hunting and is not really connected with anyone who does. While there we will also travel to Scotland for a little bit.

While there I would really like to try and either hunt a fallow In Ireland or a Roe deer in Scotland. Due to time it would only be a one day hunt probably. It appears that hunting season would still be open in Ireland during those times but I am unsure of Scotland. I was wondering if any members on here could help me and point me in the direction of a reliable outfitter they have used in either country.

I would also need to rent a rifle from an outfitter. Thanks in advance.

Just a heads up.

Scotland:
Roe Deer Buck: April 1st – October 20th. Roe Deer Doe: October 21st – March 31st.

Ireland:
Fallow bucks may be hunted from the 1st of September until December 31st and Does may be hunted from the Ist of November to the February 28th

There are several members who will be able to chime in on Stalking opportunities.

Just a heads up.

Scotland:
Roe Deer Buck: April 1st – October 20th. Roe Deer Doe: October 21st – March 31st.

Ireland:
Fallow bucks may be hunted from the 1st of September until December 31st and Does may be hunted from the Ist of November to the February 28th

There are several members who will be able to chime in on Stalking opportunities.

So either way it would only be a doe hunt. Thank you for the information

My memory has failed me on the "estate" hunting legislation. Maybe @Sika98k can advise further about Ireland.

Lots of cheap roe stalking available in Scotland. I would try Colin Lockerbie (Solway Stalking), who is a good man not far from Stranraer, which is a ferry ride from Belfast. He offers Wild Boar, roe and Red Deer in a beautiful part of South west Scotland.

I am not sure if his website is still up, as I think he was targeted by animal rights activists. I have been out with him for roe and boar and he is a great guy.

If your budget runs to it, I would seriously think about flying Cork to Inverness and trying for a Highland red. It will cost much more and many places insist on booking a week. You could easily spend £200-£1000 per day and I would allow at least two days to get a red deer.

The easiest way might be to go through an agent. George Goldsmith and Co in Edinburgh or Edwin Thompson in Galashiels are both good.

My memory has failed me on the "estate" hunting legislation. Maybe @Sika98k can advise further about Ireland.
If you wish to hunt deer in Ireland you require 2 pieces of paper ! A firearms licence pertaining to the rifle you will be using.
Secondly a deer hunting licence issued by the NPWS or National Parks and Wildlife Service.
you cannot “borrow“ a rifle , or indeed any firearm in Ireland.
The outfitter should be arranging this for you.

@Hookboy88 , I would be curious to hear how your trip to Scotland went earlier this year, and if you would recommend combing it with a visit to Ireland. My wife and I will have our 30th anniversary later this year, and she would like to celebrate with our first visit to her ancestral homeland (Scotland). We don't plan to do any hunting, but would love to hear any non-hunting recommendations you may have. For reference, we will be traveling with two other couples our age (early 50's) and no children; and the timing of our trip will probably be in September or October of 2024. I'm guessing we will go for somewhere between 10-14 days. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Cheers! :)

@Hookboy88 , I would be curious to hear how your trip to Scotland went earlier this year, and if you would recommend combing it with a visit to Ireland. My wife and I will have our 30th anniversary later this year, and she would like to celebrate with our first visit to her ancestral homeland (Scotland). We don't plan to do any hunting, but would love to hear any non-hunting recommendations you may have. For reference, we will be traveling with two other couples our age (early 50's) and no children; and the timing of our trip will probably be in September or October of 2024. I'm guessing we will go for somewhere between 10-14 days. Thanks for any advice you can share.

I didn’t get to do any hunting this trip.

It was fabulous. The Irish and Scottish people are both extremely friendly. I would recommend going to Glendalough in Ireland for sure. It was beautiful.

We rented a car in Scotland and drove around for a couple of days. It was great. Edinburgh was nice and so was Iverness. Might as well see the Loch Ness if you up around Iverness.

Killkenny has a very nice atmosphere about it and was a lot of fun. Cliffs of Moher were incredible. If you visit Ireland I recommend going on the “Wild Atlantic Way.” It’s very scenic

I attempted to attach a picture but something went wrong. Please feel free to PM and you
and I can exchange numbers if you have any questions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
computerstore

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.