Inventing load data for barnes bullets?

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I'm trying to load for calibers for which barnes is not publishing load data at this time. (E.g. 7x64 brenneke, 7x65r)

Is there a rule of thumb for converting published load data for lead-core softs into "TTSX copper"?

Example:

150gr softnose at X velocity using Y powder

Therefore:

Add/Subtract grains when using a solid copper barnes bullet of equal weight?

I think that I would just start out with a mid load for the same grain of bullet of a different manufacture and work up from there.

Start low and work up carefully.... is the rule of thumb.

Vithavuori manual 2022 has some loads for Barnes bullets.

In CIP countries, proof houses measure your loads in pressure barrels.

HWL

Comparing Barnes` and Nosler's online reloading data for the 280 AI for 140 grain loads:

Three powders common to both show the Max loads for Barnes bullets to be lower powder charges by 0.8 to 1.7 grains. (Old guy doing the math in his head, so Grain of....)

I suggest a few more comparisons for somewhat similar cartridges, then take that info and maybe some Quickload projections - both for lead and momo, (plus a good chronograph) and do your load development.

A call to Barnes could be a help as well.

@rookhawk you might want to give Barnes bullet a call. I had a similar issue in the past and they were more than happy to share their unpublished load data for the caliber I was working on at the time.
Barnes readily shares load information every time I give them a call. Just call, don't guess.

Rookhawk you didn't ask but this QL simulation might be a starting point.

Capture.PNG 7 X 65R for Rookhawk.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

In MY experience, and from some others handloaders friends, the GROOVED Barnes, TSX, TTSX and LRX can use the same loads as a conventional bullet. In fact, in some of MY rifles, I need to use some more powder to reach the same velocity (pressure...) as with a conventional cup and core bullet....The ONLY precaution I use, recommended originally by Barnes (since the first BARNES X I loaded in 1996, 250 gr not grooved, in my .375 H&H) is to leave not less than 1 mm, roughly .4", of free travel.
Anyway, ALWAYS, is mandatory and prudent to start 5% below any maximum published load.
Good luck!

Barnes readily shares load information every time I give them a call. Just call, don't guess.
Bingo! Contact Ty Herring at Barnes if he's still there. 'Has always assisted greatly with oddball calibers in the past.

You will find in many calibers that the barnes cannot even be loaded to the same specs as traditionals, as they tend to be longer (and eat up a tad more powder space than the more dense, shorter slugs.) No issue loading them to the same for weight, otherwise. (the grooves are to provide same or less bearing surface on the rifling as traditional bullets. if they weren't present, they would behave differently and could drive pressures up with same charges.) I found pet loads for 150-170s gr bullets (non barnes) for the 74R but not the 75R. You'd be surprised how much data Barnes has (as their original bullets have been around for a long time! Generations.)

@rookhawk,

As one who once made the mistake of treating Barnes bullets like they were lead core, and my rifle paying the price, but fortunately not me………..IMO……..by far the best advice you’ve received here is to call Barnes

The 7x64 is very close to the .280 just different origins.

Yes talk to Barnes and more experienced handloaders here. I'm not that up on the technicalities of what you are asking.

It might have been helpful of you listed what powders you have.

For example Hogdon 4895 is AR2206H,

They can be safely run at only 60% of max load.
That makes it a little more forgiving for load development.

It is also a versatile powder that can safely be used across a wide range of rifle cartridges.

Others might be optimal in certain cartridges but AR2206H is suitable in many.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Puckett's

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you