identify an old .375

Rastaman

AH veteran
Joined
Sep 8, 2009
Messages
166
Reaction score
14
Deals & offers
6
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
SCI
I have been approached by a semi-close friend who is trying to sell a custom .375 HH for an old lady whose husband has died. She is also selling some ammo and a small elephant tusk. (I guess the same will happen to all of us one day!!)
Anyway, the gun has no markings except "375 HH Ed Chahir" on the barrel and MC OOO1 on the action. It has an octagonal barrel to receiver connection but the barrel is round. IT has a leupold scope with detachable rings and iron leaf sights. Oddly, the stock is stained but not laminated in any way. The bolt end is octaganol also. There is some rust on the bolt but the gun is clean otherwise. It has a padded "decelerator" pad on the end and the magazine flips open underneath.

Any idea on how to value this gun? I would like to buy it but cant get any idea on what it is worth. It is incredibly heavy. I will try and get pictures today.

Thanks,
Rastaman.
 
Not with that info, the barrel and contour are indicators it deserves more investigation. There must be some markings on the receiver somewhere. Try taking it out of the stock and having a good look if their are no visible markings while it has its handle in place. Then post a few pictures of what you find.

Maybe someone on here recognizes "Ed Chahir", but I don't.
 
Sound pretty custom made to me my friend I would personally, investigate more about the rifle and may be take it to a Gunsmith so he can help me further, may be it's one of those rare opportunities to buy one heck of a rifle at a relatively low price! You never know what jewel of a rifle you can find in the least expected places!

Cheers and good luck with that!
 
pictures of the rifle

Here are some pictures... I have now been told that the gun was made by a cuban custom gun maker in Louisiana..Baton Rouge I think. I have taken it to a local gunsmith but we really do not have anyone in this area with this expertise.

1271d1259258857-identify-old-375-img_5888.jpg


1272d1259258857-identify-old-375-img_5889.jpg


1273d1259258857-identify-old-375-img_5890.jpg


1275d1259258857-identify-old-375-img_5895.jpg


1276d1259258857-identify-old-375-img_5896.jpg


1274d1259258857-identify-old-375-img_5892.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5888.jpg
    IMG_5888.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_5889.jpg
    IMG_5889.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_5890.jpg
    IMG_5890.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_5892.jpg
    IMG_5892.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_5895.jpg
    IMG_5895.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_5896.jpg
    IMG_5896.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 303
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an old Mauser modified action, or maybe a Model 70 Winchester by the way the Safety appears, but I dunno...It's difficult to judge by just looking, if you relly want to but it, either go with your gut or take it to a very good gunsmith!

Good luck!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,662
Members
169,806
Latest member
DianaLangw
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top