Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA (Life), Safari Club Intl
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada(Saskatchewan), USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right)
This .416 Rem Mag followed me home today. I already have a Win 70 Safari Express .416 but I just couldn’t leave this gun sitting unloved like an abandoned puppy. It was whining for me to take it home and kill a Cape Buffalo with it.

The gun had a custom laminated stock with Pachmayr Decelerator pad added, fiber optic front sight, QD bases and the barrel/action teflon coated. The person that owns it swears it’s never been fired, that he bought it and put it in his safe after having it customized, waiting for a Cape Buffalo hunt that never happened. When I look at the bolt face and action and barrel, I can see zero evidence that it ever has been fired...all look pristine. But maybe...maybe not.

But even if it has been shot, it can’t be very many shots as it is near mint condition other than one small dent on the right side if the stock and a few small scratches on the left. For the price I paid, I could live with it as a near mint condition used gun, even if it has been fired.

I had zero need for this gun because I already had a 416 Rem Mag but I just couldn’t not buy it because I am a sick individual.

Now, I’m trying to figure out if I should sell the Win 70 or just keep them both even though it makes no sense to have two 416s :)

Good problem to have.

55D6FF50-86EB-4857-816B-9C4051DAE96B.jpeg
57552D33-BC3A-49C5-9547-1679C2FEC41E.jpeg
B7949C35-4A6D-4A9F-B00B-05CBDD240073.jpeg
DC722EC7-95B1-48F0-B9E3-2332FD4F5431.jpeg

252B820D-C2C6-4A56-A51E-B287722C4F00.jpeg
587F663B-F5BA-4FE6-BC3A-B7192640FBC5.jpeg
0BD408F0-5C9F-49D9-9017-3E0B261BF584.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like the front sight setup. I need to do that to mine.

Yea, I agree. the cutout hood to let light through to the fiber optic is a nice setup. I am going to change my Win 70 .416 and .375 to that setup if I can figure out who makes that. Maybe Williams Gun Sight Company a few hours from me in Michigan does that.

Yea, I agree. the cutout hood to let light through to the fiber optic is a nice setup. I am going to change my Win 70 .416 and .375 to that setup if I can figure out who makes that. Maybe Williams Gun Sight Company a few hours from me in Michigan does that.
I think NECG also makes something like that as well

I’ve got a MRC 416 RM also and love it, have several other 416’s so don’t feel bad, you don’t have a problem! Nice rifle! Glad you took her home

I’ve got a MRC 416 RM also and love it, have several other 416’s so don’t feel bad, you don’t have a problem! Nice rifle! Glad you took her home
Thank you for the sanity check.
I feel better now :)

The action is very smooth.

I really like this rifle.

That sight is very similar to a Williams "Firesight".. Ive got the same front sight on my .416 Taylor... LOVE IT...
Ive also got the Williams firesight rear sight.. its basically a ghost ring with a little fiber optic dot on each side (line the front site dot up with the 2 rear dots for a shot.. or in a hurry, just put the front dot in the center of the ghost ring)..
you have to purchase the hood separately from the front/rear sight combo..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 2.13.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 2.13.16 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 2.13.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 2.13.25 PM.png
    945.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
That sight is very similar to a Williams "Firesight".. Ive got the same front sight on my .416 Taylor... LOVE IT...

Ive also got the Williams firesight rear sight.. its basically a ghost ring with a little fiber optic dot on each side (line the front site dot up with the 2 rear dots for a shot.. or in a hurry, just put the front dot in the center of the ghost ring)..

you have to purchase the hood separately from the front/rear sight combo..

Awesome Thank You

Williams is 2 hours from my house so it will be easy for me to take my Model 70s there

Appreciate the info

This .416 Rem Mag followed me home today. I already have a Win 70 Safari Express .416 but I just couldn’t leave this gun sitting unloved like an abandoned puppy. It was whining for me to take it home and kill a Cape Buffalo with it.

The gun had a custom laminated stock with Pachmayr Decelerator pad added, fiber optic front sight, QD bases and the barrel/action teflon coated. The person that owns it swears it’s never been fired, that he bought it and put it in his safe after having it customized, waiting for a Cape Buffalo hunt that never happened. When I look at the bolt face and action and barrel, I can see zero evidence that it ever has been fired...all look pristine. But maybe...maybe not.

But even if it has been shot, it can’t be very many shots as it is near mint condition other than one small dent on the right side if the stock and a few small scratches on the left. For the price I paid, I could live with it as a near mint condition used gun, even if it has been fired.

I had zero need for this gun because I already had a 416 Rem Mag but I just couldn’t not buy it because I am a sick individual.

Now, I’m trying to figure out if I should sell the Win 70 or just keep them both even though it makes no sense to have two 416s :)

Good problem to have.

View attachment 519458View attachment 519459View attachment 519460View attachment 519461
View attachment 519462View attachment 519463View attachment 519464
I've only sold or traded a couple of guns, and then was sorry. My advise is that if you like both rifles keep them both. Logic has nothing to do with it!

I've only sold or traded a couple of guns, and then was sorry. My advise is that if you like both rifles keep them both. Logic has nothing to do with it!
I like the way you think. I will probably keep both.

You'll never find a cure for your sickness around here. We're not even looking for a cure.
Cure? I don't have a problem! I can quit anytime I want! Maybe just one more. I don't have a .375 H&H... Ooh! Look at that .404 Jeffery....

@TERMINATOR - congratulations on the new addition. I say keep both at least for a year and see how it shakes out.

I had a hood on the front sight of my CZ550 and it was perfectly serviceable…I can’t tell you the number of times I picked it up off the floor of the gun range or the ground when hunting because something bumped it. I took it off while in Africa and only put it back on when I decided to sell it. The front sight hood is (IMO) a complete waste of time and money.

Last edited:
@TERMINATOR - congratulations on the new addition. I say keep both at least for a year and see how it shakes out.

I had a hood on the front sight of my CZ550 and it was perfectly serviceable…I can’t tell you the number of times I picked it up off the floor of the gun range or the ground when hunting because something bumped it. I took it off while in Africa and only put it back on when I decided to sell it. The front sight hood is (IMO) a complete waste of time and money.
I think you're right. I only leave the hood on my .458 while it's in the safe and while traveling. While actually hunting, it comes off and rides in the case. I see it as a protection devise and not actually useful for hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayadelhi01

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.