I’ve got to show you a beautiful stock

Lee in Texas

AH senior member
Reaction score
This stock just blows my mind. I’m mesmerized. It looks like the wood has depth. I mean like colored glass or candy paint. How the heck is that done? What kind of walnut is that?
1420A12C-5180-46E4-B812-B541FB2C4B32.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zambezi

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia
Very nice! Looks like it was made from the semi precious Tiger's Eye.

Although I don't mind if my stocks get a battle scar even when I do my utmost to prevent that, I would sit down and cry if I marked a stock like that.

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
This stock just blows my mind. I’m mesmerized. It looks like the wood has depth. I mean like colored glass or candy paint. How the heck is that done? What kind of walnut is that?

Turkish walnut, I read an interview with someone from WR few years ago regarding blanks purchases.

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I would guess it is hand rubbed oil finish. Likely Boiled linseed oil or a more modern derivative of that. Rigby/H&H/Purdey get that glass finish. Probably a little wax polish afterwards. The wood is an excellent blank.

I was amazed at the finish I got on my CZ factory stock with BLO and some wax polish. Not in that league but as good as a Verney Carron when I put it on the rack at the local gun range.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Almost certainly English Walnut - Juglans Regia. As @Opposite Pole notes, much of the best does come from Turkey these days as that region represents a relatively untouched source for the old wood stumps that create this sort of marbling. Looks like the stock is well laid out with all the marbling in the butt stock and not extending into the wrist and forearm. Such marbling is beautiful, but also very weak for areas of stress - particularly the wrist of a rifle or head of a shotgun stock.

Lovely rifle with a perfect hand rubbed oil finish. Who is the maker? Could have been done by Westley Richards, Rigby, Purdey, Hartman & Weiss, or a a few custom makers.

Lee in Texas

AH senior member
Reaction score
Westley Richards. It’s a 460 Weatherby. I swiped the photo from another site. It was posted several years ago. I remembered this while searching for similar stocks. I sent a PM to the owner to ask about it. Years ago, when the post was new, he had not taken delivery of it. I want to have a stock like that on a 404 Jeffery. I’m almost afraid to ask what it would cost, but I like it enough that I think I could make it happen. Then I need to get a safe within a safe.

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Some articles from Westley Richards on the topic of stock wood blanks.
https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/the-gunstock-blanks-become-gunstocks/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 10.37.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 10.37.59 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 10.38.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 10.38.15 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 10.38.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 10.38.26 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 54

Nevada Mike

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
... I want to have a stock like that on a 404 Jeffery. I’m almost afraid to ask what it would cost, but I like it enough that I think I could make it happen. Then I need to get a safe within a safe.
There are a number of American stock makers that could provide that level of work. Check James Tucker (ACGG member). He works in Oregon and when I last spoke with him we has charging about $6000 for a stock. He does really good work and can make you a beautiful, well fitted stock to your measurements.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
How beautiful a stock is means nothing if the grain is not correct especially through the pistol grip area. I prefer strength and correct grain for strength over beauty.....

Muskox

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
It is a really nice rifle!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
It’s beautiful

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Westley Richards. It’s a 460 Weatherby. I swiped the photo from another site. It was posted several years ago. I remembered this while searching for similar stocks. I sent a PM to the owner to ask about it. Years ago, when the post was new, he had not taken delivery of it. I want to have a stock like that on a 404 Jeffery. I’m almost afraid to ask what it would cost, but I like it enough that I think I could make it happen. Then I need to get a safe within a safe.
@Lee in Texas
Contact Luxus walnut in the USA. They provide top quality blanks to some of the high end makers. Not cheap but not overly inflated prices either. They are very easy to talk to as well and will email you with suggestions of wood. They go from plains Jane wood up to exhibition grade museum quality.
This is the piece I got off them for my 1885 lowall rebuild. Not as flashy as the weatherby one but not a bad stick. Hand rubbed with 10 coats of Linspeed then polished with Gilleys gun polish and wax. I would like the glass like finishes but I'm not that good
Bob
20200201_135400.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrusillaHe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

RicardoT wrote on Jan007's profile.
Hallo , ek stel belang as die 375 steeds beskikbaar is 083 511 9921
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.