Hunting The Rogue Asiatic Elephant: The Essentials

Well I have never shot an elephant. I have at times been a fool.

I have seen an elephant stand on two legs. It was in a circus. I believe that they can stand on two legs carefully. I do not believe that they would stay standing on a run. Front legs on animals typically cause a knockdown when they are shot away. Hind legs do not necessarily cause a knockdown, but do immediately affect speed and mobility. The totality of the circumstance is governed by the amount of weight on the frame.

I believe that it is a smart play to move one's point of aim if one's bullets are ineffective towards penetration. It's a combat tactic known as a failure or Mozambique drill. I believe Anayeth is a polite gentleman that has survived much. I have found in my life that one should be kind to these sorts and listen carefully when they share their experiences. Of course I could always regress into my foolish ways...

Well I have never shot an elephant. I have at times been a fool.

I have seen an elephant stand on two legs. It was in a circus. I believe that they can stand on two legs carefully. I do not believe that they would stay standing on a run. Front legs on animals typically cause a knockdown when they are shot away. Hind legs do not necessarily cause a knockdown, but do immediately affect speed and mobility. The totality of the circumstance is governed by the amount of weight on the frame.

I believe that it is a smart play to move one's point of aim if one's bullets are ineffective towards penetration. It's a combat tactic known as a failure or Mozambique drill. I believe Anayeth is a polite gentleman that has survived much. I have found in my life that one should be kind to these sorts and listen carefully when they share their experiences. Of course I could always regress into my foolish ways...
@Forrest Halley
Thank you very much . You are too kind . When I was a child , the Upojati tribal poachers in the Maulvi Bazaar forests had developed an extremely efficient but highly cruel method of taking out Asiatic jungle elephant .

They would use crude muzzle loading smoothbore guns ( called “ Gada Bonduk “ ) in Bengali , which were loaded with round lead balls and handfuls of coarse black powder . Two would stalk an Asiatic elephant to close range and fire into one of the knee joints on the fore leg . The animal was now faced with a dilemma . It could either :
A ) Stand still while the poachers finished it off ( usually with a side brain shot ) .
B ) Attempt to move , only for their injured leg bone to shatter under their weight .

Once it moved and fell on the ground , it was impossible for the Asiatic elephant to stand up once again . Let alone move . Your understanding of an elephant’s anatomy is most admirable . When an elephant is moving fast ( such as during a charge ) , it is the distribution of weight being put upon the injured leg bone which actually causes it to shatter .

Interesting info thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.