Hunting monitor lizards?

iceman101

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I recently was hunting in SA for buffalo and hyena then went to Zambia for Tiger Fishing.

We were on the Zambezi River in a tented hut and there were large monitor lizards every evening. They were quick to take off in the brush if they spotted you in the tent or walking to the lodge.... but if I stayed still in the hut you would see them creeping through the grass. A few had to be approximately 7 ft long and 40 lbs.

I asked the lodge owner and he said those bloody things eat absolutely everything, that his dogs fight them over there dog food at times and that he has actually had smalled dogs die from them!

MY QUESTIONS:
is it a thing or is it even legal to bowhunt one of those big lizards...... if so, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to go about going on a hunt for one of these. i want to put a arrow in one of the big ones like i saw along the Zambezi.

I believe they are classified under CITES II, so you would need a permit.

Here is a nice one I photographed in Natal

Imagen 020.jpg

Never shot one in Africa, but the bloody things are a very big nuisance in Asia. I’ve shot several over the years when they raid my family fish farm. A 12 gauge shotgun loaded with AAA is just the correct medicine for them.

I've had them creep around behind me when I was eating. They'll give you start because of their size, until you get used to them. I think they get habituated to people who are eating so they come around to see what scraps are available. I have a relative who was in the Air Force and stationed on Guam. One of his jobs was to keep the monitors off the runways. I guess they can become a problem to agriculture also and would be controlled for that purpose. I imagine they are hunted for food by some local populations. But as a game animal to hunt... uh?

I had one living in the thatched roof when I was in South Africa. PH shot it with a .22 , he tried to find a cites listing for it but couldn't find it. Definitely a unique trophy, they get pretty big. I'll post a pic of the one I saw.

I think one of those would be cool to bring back! I have a bunch of weird things like that I would like to pick up. Also going to try to bring back some insects to put in a little shadow box.

HERE IS MY YOUNGER SON, NAMIBIA 2008. YOU DON'T SHOOT EM, YOU JUMB OFF THE BACK OF THE TRUCK AND GRAB EM!

DSC01197.jpeg
DSC01199.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross