Hunting Conundrum

Say Man

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, NAHC
Hunted
US
As suggested by Mtgoat I am posting this thread to get AH members suggestions on how I should go about getting the African animals that I want. There is a mix of dangerous game and plains game on my list and would like suggestions on the possibilities if I split it into two hunts. Scenario 1) Do a plains game hunt first and then go on a second trip to get the dangerous game or 2) split up the dangerous game and take what plains game I can while in pursuit of the dangerous game. The main reason that I want to go to Africa is to get a buffalo so all others are just extra in my eyes but here is my list in order of preference:#1 is Buffalo of course, croc, hippo, eland, gemsbok, and warthog/bushpig. One trip would be the trip of the lifetime but if and when I decide that I want to make it two trips would appreciate any suggestions. It may be just one trip to get the buffalo and I tack on as many as I can from my list while there but the sound of making it two trips seems really appealing to me:). Thanks for reading and in advance for any suggestions. Good luck hunting to you all. Remember to dream big and live bigger.

I will start by saying I have only done plains game to this point.I try and do as long a trip that I can.With airfare running 1200 to 2500 a person depending on when you go it just makes sense to me.So i would say depends on how much time you can get off for the trip I do 17 to 20 days when I go.I skip years in between and do not go ever year or even ever 2 years.

With the list you have I think you could do all in one trip plus a few animals.You may need to look at two places maybe not.I hunt two places each time to see more areas.The cape buff with your plains game there is alot of places to do that.Adding the croc and hippo may narrow were you go some depending on what kind of hunt you want.

more then likely after hunting africa you will want to go back as most of us do.But if you only want to go once make it a dream safari and take them all in one trip.I am betting even if you do take them all in the same trip you will go back for animals you seen while hunting but did not get to take.

Just make sure to tell who ever you pick what animals are your main focus and what you may take if seen while hunting.Good luck on the planning.

If #1 is buffalo, then focus on it, get the best deal you can, and then ask your outfitter what else you can hunt in the area.

Then, on your second trip ( which you will certainly make) repeat the process.

I guess my best way of looking at the problem, is the daily rate is based off the animals you want to hunt so I would pick an area to hunt the dangerous game...preferably on the same hunt to save money and do that hunt. It will give you a taste for Africa, maybe you don't get all the animals you want so now on the second trip, you can make plans to fill the voids left from the first hunt.

Say Man, I believe if you book a reasonable duration of time with a reputable operator in a productive area that contains the species you are after there is no reason why you wouldn't or couldn't do your Dg/pg mix on the one and first trip.

A 10, 12 or 14 day trip to the Save, in Zim, with one of the operators licensed to hunt there could see you reasonably expect to take buffalo, Hippo and a variety of plains game on the one trip, great times and memories to boot !!

I agree with Paul, it can be done, in one trip in the areas he is recommending.

I don't know if I would do it on one, to be quite honest, if you do not mind an operational tempo of note, even on a 12 day hunt or 14 day hunt, I guess you will be okay.

Apart from the above, factors to consider would most probably be, financial, amount of time you can get away from your business, work or home, which country you would like to visit as well as the availability of species in the mentioned country/destination of choice .

I note Oryx on your list, ZIM has no Oryx..

I would do two trips and possible space them over 3 years.

1.) buffalo/plains game

2.)Hippo/croc combo

My best always

Honestly think you could do that in 14. - 16 days .... We do Buffalo , Hippo and Croc in pretty much the same area and i would say feasible in 7 -10 days . The other 3 should be possible in 5 - 7 .... This means you can come back for another hunt at later stage as you would most definitely be back !!! Good luck on the planning !

Happy Hunting !

Honestly think you could do that in 14. - 16 days .... We do Buffalo , Hippo and Croc in pretty much the same area and i would say feasible in 7 -10 days . The other 3 should be possible in 5 - 7 .... This means you can come back for another hunt at later stage as you would most definitely be back !!! Good luck on the planning !

Happy Hunting !
Agree with Richard, most are done in the same area and can be done in two weeks,without to much pressure.

Yes, the oryx in Zim would be a problem.

Give Jamy Traut a call or drop him an email Home . Namibia is a place where you have a chance at that list (frankly bush pig is the hardest). He would take you to the Caprivi for Buff, croc and hippo (elephant as well). You would then drop down to the Kalahari or Bushmanland, depending on the time of year for PG. He hunts eland the traditional way by walking them down and you will see dozens of trophy gemsbok. A big plus is that Jamy is one of the really good guys in the industry and I can recommend him unreservedly. I doubt if he can find you a bushpig, but you will see a legions of warthogs.

Some great suggestions and a reminder to all that he has stated that he has to save long and hard for this so budget conscious suggestions would be prudent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.