Hunting Common Reedbuck

Yes, common reedbuck, mountain reedbuck and vaal rhebok are present in South Africa. I would like to get mountain reedbuck and vaal rhebok!

DSCN7939.JPG
DSCN7974.JPG
DSCN8119.JPG
DSCN8142.JPG
DSCN8404.JPG
DSCN8370.JPG

I can never thank KMG Hunting Safaris enough for getting me wonderful vaal rhebok and mountain reedbuck trophies along with my dad who holds a very nice common reedbuck :love:

After 3 years from my reply to this post I finally managed to achieve the South African reedbuck slam :D

Congratulations! Where did you get it?

Congratulations! Where did you get it?
Thank you they were obtained in Eastern Cape in the hunting areas managed by Marius Goosen owner of KMG Hunting Safaris, I highly recommend going on a safari with him! Ours was a dream safari :love:

There's the reedbuck, the mountain reedbuck, and the grey or Vaal rhebuck, right? No mountain rhebuck?
Correct - the common or southern reedbuck, his smaller cousin the mountain reedbuck and then the Vaal rhebuck.

Some confusion comes in because in Afrikaans the mountain reedbuck and vaal rhebok have similar names. Rooi ribbok (literally red rhebuck) for the mountain reedbuck, and vaal ribbok (translates to grey rhebuck) for the vaal rhebuck.

Rhebuck/ribbok is a bastardization of the roe buck name from Europe, applied by the European settlers 400+ years ago.

That looks like a small Waterbuck. Wow

Expectional free range common reedbuck. The elements were against us, with rain and mist making visibility poor. Spotting this ram was down to pure hunting luck at 300m. The shot was taken at 250m due to the mist AND rain. It was a now of never shot. This was such an amazing harvest of a free range trophy in the hill tops of Dullstroom.

IMG_buck2.jpg
IMG_reedbuck.jpg
IMG_reedbuck2.jpg
1676625581622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg