Hunting Bans & Conservation - Facts

AfricaRob

AH member
Joined
Apr 7, 2025
Messages
15
Reaction score
35
Location
South West UK
Articles
1
Member of
BASC, British Deer Society.
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England
As hunters we need to have reasoned argement, not insults based reactions.

Hunting isn’t the solution to all conservation needs but it can be a very important tool.

Rather than relying on emotion (ours and those who look to ban) perhaps look at conservation outcomes and what Africans and African countries actually need and want.

I have a strong academic background - the key is to finding the evidence - here is review of 89 peer reviewed articles.

Outcomes of Trophy Hunting for People and Nature in Sub-Saharan Africa

Hayley S. Clements, Alex Chidakel, Menelisi Falayi, Dian Spear, Enrico Di Minin
First published: 09 September 2026

https://doi.org/10.1111/con4.70080Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

Trophy hunting is one of the most contested conservation activities. There is mounting pressure in the Global North for policy changes that would dramatically curtail the activity across Africa. We synthesized research from 89 peer-reviewed papers that assessed the impact of trophy hunting on nature and local people across 13 sub-Saharan African countries. Almost two-thirds of hunting outcomes were positive, 26% were negative, and 9% were ambiguous. Conservation outcomes for hunted species abundance were more often positive than negative, while impacts on species demographics and vital rates were more variable. Looking beyond hunted species to their habitats, hunting predominantly increased the extent of land conserved. We now need to understand the ecological integrity of these landscapes. Human well-being outcomes were predominantly positive for income, employment, and food security, while non-economic dimensions of well-being were insufficiently studied. Importantly, outcomes were more often positive where land and wildlife use rights, responsibilities and benefits accrued to local landholders or communities. While we cannot assume causality, these insights are aligned with theory that devolving wildlife use rights and revenue control to local people promotes equitable conservation. Policymakers should consider the variation in hunting outcomes across contexts, rather than defaulting to blanket trophy hunting bans.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,662
Members
169,807
Latest member
BoydGreenw
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top