Howdy from Ol' Virginy

So many Virginians here! I moved from NOVA to Colorado before NOVA got out of control. Partly because of my wife and partly because of the Rockies. Couldn't pass up the chance to hunt elk, muleys and pronghorn. Welcome to all!

So many Virginians here! I moved from NOVA to Colorado before NOVA got out of control. Partly because of my wife and partly because of the Rockies. Couldn't pass up the chance to hunt elk, muleys and pronghorn. Welcome to all!

There's a incredible rifle builder machinist in Montana named Richard Franklin. He's noted for exacting work and has even been a game changer. He's done this by utilizing very light bullets (300WSM for example) He's slowed the twist rate down and thus allowing for hereto unheard of velocities. This 300 Super Varminter achieves trajectories that are unheard of as well, for such low BC bullets anyway. His clients and hunting partners are always posting videos of a visible red mist at incredible yardages.
I'm fortunate enough to have him help me make the transition to a rifle builder via video instruction and book. He has many little tricks that would be of colossal benefit to the powerful safari class calibers so many here carry.
I'm building the classic 375 H&H as well as a 416 Rigby later on. In addition, I dearly want a 450-400 Ruger No1 before they become scarce. Any of the three will handily suffice for any biological form to be encountered on Earth or elsewhere in the Universe should opportunity ever knock.
Every Safari Hunter would do himself and his preferred game a great service by reading Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by Karamojo W.D.M. Bell. He recorded 1011 kills on the biggest Bull Tuskers he could find with a 275 Rigby(7x57) and quite a few more with 6.5 Mausers. He was a great shot with uncanny nerve and patience. He commented that Bull Elephants were exceedingly dangerous and rarely anchored even when struck through the heart & lungs, regardless of caliber. He experimented with several Med & Big Bore Nitro Express cartridges. I think of him each time I read about people carrying heavy recoiling safari rifles for North American Bear. It's fine so long as they can really place a lethal shot while under stress with fear, anxiety and adrenaline from excitement running wild. Too often I believe the bad habits of poor marksmanship have already become habitual by then. They close their eyes and jerk the trigger. Either ending in a miss or worse still s gutshot or other non lethal hit. Considering the size of North American Brown Bear species...This is gambling with your life in the worst way. I'd take a 308 to the heart or spine over a gutshot from a 460 Weatherby or 505 Gibbs any day.

Karamojo even writes about kicking three Cape Buffalo and dropping all three stone dead with the little 275 Rigby.
Corbett I think liked more insurance against man eating Tigers and often went with a 450-400 double. He did take the Rigby on occasion and bagged some very notorious Tigers and Leopards with it.
Kenneth Anderson has many more life or death shots than Corbett. He nearly always puts his faith in a 405 Winchester Model 1895(I presume)
He also had a 450-400 and took several marauding killer elephants with it.
These stories have made big impacts on my thinking and practice. I'll never have a muzzle break on my rifles! That's why I'm choosing calibers with recoil attributes I can handle. I think the 416 Rigby and the 450-400 in the light Ruger No1 will prove about all the recoil I need to test my skills with.
I absolutely love firearms and quite literally have spent the last 4-5 years learning about everything I can. Still much knowledge I lack but I'm still holding true to my study to develop myself into a very accomplished gunsmith before my days run out. I figure being a well trained machinist from 3 years of professional instruction and many more in ships and prototype mechanic metal work for Naval Aircraft will help too.

I aim to get to a level that I machine and treat my own components, save the barrel and perhaps Mauser & Pre 64 type actions. There's just too many crack barrel makers around with vastly more appropriate resources and experience. I don't feel I could ever best them with my limitations.
My absolute favorite rifles are the single shots. These I'll build each and every part for. This should be where I can excel and most enjoy my craft. Another reason I want a Ruger No1, so I can learn it to minute detail. It lends itself well to hosting about any caliber anyone could desire. With exacting tolerances and pure dogged stubborn effort, the accuracy will be there!
I feel they lend themselves to the best sportsmanship and help develop skills through experience. That 1st shot has to be the one for you and your quarry's sake! I don't imagine dying is the high part of their day so the swifter and cleaner the better.

My apologies, it appears my love of safari reading and dreaming of these great rifles and hunts have lead to my half assed attempt at a tome right here.
Now, I'll get back to what serves me best; my ears and eyes. I'm delighted to make your acquaintance everyone. Thought I give you my humble view I've developed from much abler men. Learning from Bell, Capstick, Taylor and most admired Jim Corbett and Kenneth Anderson. It can't hurt I figure. All remarkable men and great sportsman.

Last edited:
Leaving NOVA (Northern VA) for Colorado...culture shock. I'm jealous of someone building their own fun guns....What types of stocks do you plan for the .375 & 416? I lucked out with my 416, grandfather had a builder who had a nice piece of wood that is still strong with the figure lacking in a lot of big bores. Enjoy Colorado...long way to get hardshell crabs though.

Leaving NOVA (Northern VA) for Colorado...culture shock. I'm jealous of someone building their own fun guns....What types of stocks do you plan for the .375 & 416? I lucked out with my 416, grandfather had a builder who had a nice piece of wood that is still strong with the figure lacking in a lot of big bores. Enjoy Colorado...long way to get hardshell crabs though.

Hi,

To answer your question, there's two styles in my mind I'll try and follow closely. The older Rigby or Westley Richards styles that look so thin and short along the forend. Of course, what I've seen so much of are 275(7x57) Rigbys. Haven't seen s 416 or big bore. Does yours have this noticeably smaller forend compared to modern rifles?

Not having access to those priceless old British guns... There's also a Mauser, built pre war I think, called a Guild Sporter. They look to have a flat pin akin to what you see in Hawkin muzzle loaders, also in the forend. All three are very similar designs with that notably thin forend. I've come to love the rifles of these great hunters I'm still reading. Kenneth Anderson, Jim Corbett and Karamojo Bell. Anderson used a lever action Win 1895 in 405, but though totally different, it too has a very small, skinny forend. So...in my mind there's two basic firearms above all else. The great Mauser 98 and Browning's 1885 Single Shot. I try not to think of British Double Rifles but I do dream occasionally.

I'll try and trade favors or something to get advice or training from a knowledgeable stock maker. Short of that, I have a wealth of Gunsmithing instruction in written and video form. I'll just go very slow on the early projects and teach myself. The tools needed for all I want to inevitably accomplish in my shop is the hurdle. I could spend $2,000 today just on this stock subject alone.

I bought a Mauser 98 casting in the rough white recently very cheap. No way I'll build the bolt versions without the Controlled Round Feed long extractor that I think just can't be beat. The more I learn the more I love them. I can see how it could come on very handy with a Big 5 monster bearing down on you. Might be running or even climbing to save your natural ass when your cycling that bolt. Imagine the feeling just before a lion or leopard dives for your throat... SNAP on an empty chamber.. Then they'll wish they had CRF too.

I'm glad you realize the true treasure you have in that incredible classic rifle. There's never been a better one in my opinion.
The ones I see today are often over $20,000 and even much, much higher. I hope you have that rifle insured? If not, it's time you do so.

Again, please forgive my long winded posts... I'm 100% a solitary creature who doesn't talk often.. I'm taking advantage. No one could stand my obsessive thoughts and study of guns anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg