howa 1500 in .300 problems

Storm howa.300wm

Reaction score
I reside in the RSA and have managed to get my hands on a howa 1500 in .300 winmag early this year. I have put about 200 rounds through it already but been battling a bit to get good groupings iv tried a number of factory loaded rounds and an entire assortment of my own hand loads but still I can't group less than about 6 inches. If there are any other owners out there what will be able to help load data or COL or offer suggestions it will be greatly appreciated.

I'm loading with s365 behind a 180gr sierra game king spbt with a winchester magnum primer in the rear
And
S365 with a 165gr barns sp also with a winmag primer

I like the Sierra Game King, I think there is something wrong with the scope or gun. 6 inch groups is crazy unless we are talking 400 yards or something in that range on a windy day. The 300 Win Mag is a fine caliber and 2 or 3 inch groups should be possible at 200 yards with factory ammo.

Check the scope rings and mounts too.

I'm going to assume that the bore isn't fouled with copper. Have you looked at the crown of the muzzle for wear?
Next check the mounts and swap scopes as noted above.

I'm going to assume that the bore isn't fouled with copper. Have you looked at the crown of the muzzle for wear?
Next check the mounts and swap scopes as noted above.

I agree, a bad bore, will never shoot straight.

After you've tried the other suggestions, i.e. checking the mounts, swapping scopes, making sure the bore is clean; also check your action screws to make sure they're not loose or too tight. Really tight screws can twist the action. If none of this works switch powders or bullets, or both. I'm a reloader and truthfully I've never heared of S365. Try some of the proven powders like Reloader 22, IMR 4350, H4831...if you can get your hands on them. These powders generally and historically work very well in the 300 magnums. Swithcing powders can make a world of difference. I've seen the same gun shoot 0.5" to 3" groups just from different loads. It's amazing the drastic difference the load recipe can have on a rifle. Good luck!

6 inch groups ( i assume at 100 meters) is certainly cause for concern at my house.

If you happen to know the previous owner.
Did the previous owner have issues?
What load worked for them?

I'd suggest you get the barrel scoped by a gun smith.
If the throat is gone it will not matter what cartridge you put in the chamber. (as well as all of the above issues)

Diagnosing poor rifle performance is always a chore.

Good luck.

I have a howa 1500 with a varmint barrel in 308 win and it won't group any bullet below a 160grain I have been told it is something to do with the barrel twist
I don't profess to now about ballistic's/reloading but maybe you have the same problem

Storm,

If you can, get a box of PMP 220gr and give them a go.

In my win mod70, the 220gr shoot way better than anything else i have used. I cant get them here anymore so i am using 180gr PMP proam, they are ok, but not as accurate in my rifle as the 220gr.

Might work, might not... just a suggestion.
Cheers

from a gunsmith: Scope. First, take the gun apart totally. I can't explain it other than to say I've had success with other rifles exhibting the same symptons.
Customer had a Remington 700 that would throw one high left, one high right and one low center every time. I free floated the barrel at his request (Remingtons are piller bedded) still no luck, I tried my favorite handloads, no luck, I put my Leupold target scope on the rifle and got less than 1 inch at 100, so I took his scope, run the adjustments all the way in and out, and back and find the mechanical zero (mid range travel both elevation and windage) re mounted everything, bore sighted and got cnsistant groups slightly less than 1 inch.

If you have a different scope, I'd change that first and completly remove the rings and bases and start anew,
Good luck

Hello ,
????????????????:confused:
I have a Howa 1500 but cal .270W Barrel 22" , scope Bushnell (now) Legend 4-12x40, next week end : Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40
Munes : Federal 130g Vital Shok Nostler Ballistic Tip.
Range true 164 yds (150m).short Bipode Harris , seated , elbows on a table.
Shots 3 cartridges by 3 cartridges : each "shot" (3 impacts) inside 0.8 " ... 20 cartridges later it's egual. Next time, new scope range 300m (328 yds).
The .300WM is quite egual to the .270W on the range ...
There is a problem ... I'm interested by your experience because I want to sell my Howa .270 to buy the same cal ... 300WM !!!!:headscratch:

I'm sure I have no idea what you're asking?
do you talk to me ?

If yes, I can tell you that I ask nothing ...
I just speak about my Howa 1500 to tell it's very accuracy and "Storm howa.300wm" groups a 6" @100yds, it is very bad! he has a big problem with his rifle. Howa rifle (Japan) are very accuracy (according their price), barreled like Weatherby Vanguard, S&W 1500, stock : Hogue . Not so bad!!

I agree with the scope and mounts problem, I've had that happen to me before zero my 300 then by the time I've shot a box of shells my group would be out to 6-8 inch at 100 and thats not good. The Howa itself has always been a good rifle at least the ones I've shot. On my last trip to RSA I used Rusty's Dad Howa 1500 in a .223 with bull barrel drop a monkey at 180yrds no problem.

hello, few years later ...
News, please, about your Howa 1500 300WM ..

Not sure we'll ever know................

upload_2017-9-23_12-3-15.png

@375 Ruger Fan i think you answered your own question. Very old thread.

I reside in the RSA and have managed to get my hands on a howa 1500 in .300 winmag early this year. I have put about 200 rounds through it already but been battling a bit to get good groupings iv tried a number of factory loaded rounds and an entire assortment of my own hand loads but still I can't group less than about 6 inches. If there are any other owners out there what will be able to help load data or COL or offer suggestions it will be greatly appreciated.

I'm loading with s365 behind a 180gr sierra game king spbt with a winchester magnum primer in the rear
And
S365 with a 165gr barns sp also with a winmag primer
@Storm Howa 300.
Extremely rare for a Howa not to shoot well straight out of the box. My son's 308 was a less t h an moa shooter with roughly assembled handloads and half moa with good loads.
The main problem is if the bottom screws are not tourqued up properly. Then you have a shotgun.
Apply a dab of nail polish to the threads. This is poor man's locktite but easier to undo.
Bob

Get manufactured ammo with the same characteristics than your own load to compare.
I was the owner of a 1500 Howa 300WM, No problem. I was shooting upto 220 yds (200m), under MOA of course.
From time to time (expansive) I used Sako Racehead OTM 175 grs. This way you will see if you have a problem with the Howa or if it is a problem with your own load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg