Hi from Jim, the guy who dreams of going to Africa....

Hi, Jim. Welcome to the team. I’ll disagree with the majority here and say “DON’T GO TO AFRICA“. Because if you go once, you will never stop wanting to go again. Just look at me. I went on a mixed bag safari to Kenya in 1974 with one of my senior army officers, thinking that it would be a regal once-in-a-lifetime hunt. What I thought would just be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, soon became a once-in-four-years affair. I just can’t stop going, nor do I want to stop. So tread carefully.

Now, onto your rifle. It’s a great looking piece. A-Square built some truly revolutionary rifles on the big Enfield P-14 and Model 1917 actions. I shot an Australian scrub bull with an A Square Hannibal in .500 A Square in 1999. Very good rifle. Although, I’ve seen a few examples which were unreliable for dangerous game hunting.

Your rifle is excellent for hunting in open terrain, although I’d recommend a 26” (or shorter) barrel for hunting in thick bush. As for bullets, we need projectiles that can perform satisfactorily with the souped up velocity of the big .375 Weatherby without distorting. So I recommend:
- 300Gr Barnes TSX
- 300Gr Cutting Edge Safari Solids

For a second caliber, I say to go with a .505 Gibbs. I don’t like the .460 Weatherby Magnum caliber at all.

The “Push Feed vs Control Round Feed” argument began in 1964 and will (in all probability) outlive all of us. For me personally, each and every rifle must be assessed on an individual basis … rather than simply assessing whether the rifle is a push feed action or a control round feed action. So a Blaser R8 and a Remington Model 700 are both push feed actions. But I would personally prefer the R8 over the Model 700 for hunting dangerous game any day. The only time when I would personally use a Remington Model 700 action for hunting dangerous game, is if a competent gunsmith fitted an M16 extractor to it (which is what the FBI armorers do in Quantico). Same with a post ‘64 pre ‘92 push feed Winchester Model 70.

In my personal opinion, one of the most reliable push feed action rifles to ever be created was the Birmingham Small Arms (B.S.A.) Majestic. Crafty old English engineering at it’s finest. Too bad B.S.A went out of business. They had a real winner there.

But generally speaking, my favorite bolt action platforms for dangerous game rifles are:
- Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser
- BRNO ZKK602 (now discontinued)

Both are control round feed.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'd mistakenly put this in the wrong place. Jerome, thankfully, told me the right link :)

My name is Jim Golden, and it has been my dream for my 53 years to go to Africa. I'm an aerospace engineer, a pilot, and a half decent machinist and rifle fan boy. I built a .375 Weatherby on a Winchester 1917 Enfield Action with a 30" Douglas barrel (I am from WV and Douglas is OUR company) and it chrono's a 300 gr at 2889 ft/s. About 5580 ft-lbs. I want to take a dagga boy with it. And a brown bear. I'm looking at bigger rifles as well....although I think my .375 would probably drop about anything. It's got an A-Square stock with a 16 ounce mercury recoil reducer....it's surprisingly well mannered...although I only shoot it from the standing position. I'm thinking about building another one, also on a P17 action, but in .460 Weatherby or .500 A-Square. Also looking at the .458 Lott. Anyway, have been lurking on here for awhile and finally decided to respond to a post, but I'm now lost since I spent a half hour setting up an account :) Happy to join you all

A-Square had excellent ideas and products, but seemed to be always in and out of business. So, I built my own Hannibal but with a longer barrel. It's a beast. But, I can shoot it very accurately and have a few hundred rounds through it. Anything a 5550 ft-lb .375 will rock with a .300gr A-Frame, I'm ready for. Maybe that's all I need. But I know a lot of you guys like bigger calibers.

On edit after I found out I'd posted it wrong....I'm still dubious of the controlled round feed vs. push feed argument. But, I do see where under stress a fellow could short stroke a cartridge and cause a jam with a push feed. But, Roy Weatherby never seemed to have this problem.... Well, my current big gun (to me) was built on a Winchester 1917 action and is forged beauty. IF I could find another like it, that is what I'd build my .460 on. I have an MPI stocks replica of the Coil Check stock and it really does work. Col. Alphin knows his stuff. I really like the Enfield action. But the Mauser is excellent as well. Anyway, the next argument is .500 Nitro double vs. .460 Weatherby Enfield :) But for now, I'd like to use my super .375 on a Dagga Boy and am looking at going to South Africa. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Glad to meet you all.

-Jim
Well Jim, you lost me on all the rifle talk. That is like a foreign language to me. I don't actually hunt but I LOVE going with my husband. So far, I have joined him on four Cape buffalo hunts. They are terrifying and amazing at the same time. Rick was fortunate to get three buffalo when we were in Tanzania (the quota was 3 and they were only $3,000 a piece at the time). They called him the buffalo whisperer because everywhere we went there were huge dagga boys! The other hunters in our group never got one! A few years later we went to Namibia's water berg plateau. Hunting buffalo there was so different than Tanzania. The vegetation is THICK. Three times we were with 20 yards of our targets but couldn't even see them. We pursued one particular buffalo for 24 hours over several days (we had a game camera and picked up his tracks each day). Anyway, I was a nervous wreck most of the time....but I LOVED it. Good luck with your hunt. Just be warned, going to Africa once will never be enough! You will want to keep returning again and again.

Well Jim, you lost me on all the rifle talk. That is like a foreign language to me. I don't actually hunt but I LOVE going with my husband. So far, I have joined him on four Cape buffalo hunts. They are terrifying and amazing at the same time. Rick was fortunate to get three buffalo when we were in Tanzania (the quota was 3 and they were only $3,000 a piece at the time). They called him the buffalo whisperer because everywhere we went there were huge dagga boys! The other hunters in our group never got one! A few years later we went to Namibia's water berg plateau. Hunting buffalo there was so different than Tanzania. The vegetation is THICK. Three times we were with 20 yards of our targets but couldn't even see them. We pursued one particular buffalo for 24 hours over several days (we had a game camera and picked up his tracks each day). Anyway, I was a nervous wreck most of the time....but I LOVED it. Good luck with your hunt. Just be warned, going to Africa once will never be enough! You will want to keep returning again and again.
That's a really awesome story, Sue. I wish my wife felt the same way. Sadly, she has little to no enthusiasm for going on a safari with me. My son, who is an excellent photographer, also has little interest. When I go, it will probably be just me. I'd like to take my dad...but he's getting up in years and doesn't have a passport so he probably won't go either. I don't know what it is about cape buff's that interest me so much, but I really want to go get one. I'll be talking to some of the outfits on here. Looks like many of them could make my dream come true :)

Welcome to the forum!

I have "all" types of rifle actions, push feed and two types of controlled feed. (sako 85, and zkk). FYI: Sako 85 as per factory web site is claimed to be CRF. ZKK is classic m98 CRF system.

I am not biased against any type push feed or crf.

Next, when testing the theory of reliability of push feed against controlled feeds, at home by playing with dummy rounds, I managed to jam every rifle I had, PF or CRF, by simple short stroke of bolt.

When cycling the bolt properly, with rifle in upside down position, none jammed. So, unrealiability of push feeds in awkward position, remains unproven myth, in my expeirence.
(push feed used - tikka t3)
So, none of those action is idiot full proof, and each of them can be jammed. And in the same time they are equally reliable.
All that is required is that user is trained with his own rifle, and understands mechanics behind it.

But, I took CRF as my rifle of choice for Africa. (mauser 98 type, checz ZKK 602, 375 h&h).

Till I went to Africa with it I couldn't recall any fail to fire that happened to me, with new ammo in any type of rifle. (nor jamming)
I just wanted classic rifle, for sentimental reasons. and CRF is classic bolt action.

And, in Africa, CRF rifle ZKK, in combination with 300 grain norma swift a frame (premium ammo) - failed to fire. (once). In the worst moment! How can that be?

I took the failed cartridge back home. Tried it at range, and it fired, normally. And hit the target where zeroed.
I disassembled the bolt, checked the firing pin later, no dirt inside, all ok.
During safari, apart from that one failed round, rifle performed properly adn to my satisfaction.

So, it happened. Once. on CRF!!!!

No rifle is 100% reliable. My conclusion.

Here is my safari report, with this FTF described.

Mark, thank you for the kind and excellent reply. I've been reading through your thread...what a trip! I would love to do something like that.

Hi everyone,

I'd mistakenly put this in the wrong place. Jerome, thankfully, told me the right link :)

My name is Jim Golden, and it has been my dream for my 53 years to go to Africa. I'm an aerospace engineer, a pilot, and a half decent machinist and rifle fan boy. I built a .375 Weatherby on a Winchester 1917 Enfield Action with a 30" Douglas barrel (I am from WV and Douglas is OUR company) and it chrono's a 300 gr at 2889 ft/s. About 5580 ft-lbs. I want to take a dagga boy with it. And a brown bear. I'm looking at bigger rifles as well....although I think my .375 would probably drop about anything. It's got an A-Square stock with a 16 ounce mercury recoil reducer....it's surprisingly well mannered...although I only shoot it from the standing position. I'm thinking about building another one, also on a P17 action, but in .460 Weatherby or .500 A-Square. Also looking at the .458 Lott. Anyway, have been lurking on here for awhile and finally decided to respond to a post, but I'm now lost since I spent a half hour setting up an account :) Happy to join you all

A-Square had excellent ideas and products, but seemed to be always in and out of business. So, I built my own Hannibal but with a longer barrel. It's a beast. But, I can shoot it very accurately and have a few hundred rounds through it. Anything a 5550 ft-lb .375 will rock with a .300gr A-Frame, I'm ready for. Maybe that's all I need. But I know a lot of you guys like bigger calibers.

On edit after I found out I'd posted it wrong....I'm still dubious of the controlled round feed vs. push feed argument. But, I do see where under stress a fellow could short stroke a cartridge and cause a jam with a push feed. But, Roy Weatherby never seemed to have this problem.... Well, my current big gun (to me) was built on a Winchester 1917 action and is forged beauty. IF I could find another like it, that is what I'd build my .460 on. I have an MPI stocks replica of the Coil Check stock and it really does work. Col. Alphin knows his stuff. I really like the Enfield action. But the Mauser is excellent as well. Anyway, the next argument is .500 Nitro double vs. .460 Weatherby Enfield :) But for now, I'd like to use my super .375 on a Dagga Boy and am looking at going to South Africa. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Glad to meet you all.

-Jim
Hi Jim!
You have to dream to make a dream come true! It's a good dream you have!!

Your .375 is more than adequate! And you will fall in love with Africa!

Blessings
Johan

That's a really awesome story, Sue. I wish my wife felt the same way. Sadly, she has little to no enthusiasm for going on a safari with me. My son, who is an excellent photographer, also has little interest. When I go, it will probably be just me. I'd like to take my dad...but he's getting up in years and doesn't have a passport so he probably won't go either. I don't know what it is about cape buff's that interest me so much, but I really want to go get one. I'll be talking to some of the outfits on here. Looks like many of them could make my dream come true :)
Jim, I am so sorry to hear that your wife and son aren't interested in going on safari with you. I was so hesitant about going but thankfully overcame my fears and resistance. The experience ended up changing the course of my life...leading to me writing my first book "Cries of the Savanna." I'm not trying to be a salesperson here, but several hunters have had their reluctant wives read the book, which changed their minds into wanting to go. You can learn more about the book and what hunters and non-hunters say about it on my website or on Amazon. The ebook version is free on kindle unlimited if you have that. Also, I will be running a $2.99 eBook promotion on Amazon from December 16 to January 1. I'll be announcing that later on this site, so others will know too. Amazon allows a promotion like this once every 3 months. This helps get the book into the hands of more people. I fell in love with Africa...and I want everyone else to fall in love with it too...BUT more importantly, I want them to understand how important hunting is to the people and wildlife of Africa.
Anyway, good luck finding the perfect Cape buffalo hunting adventure. You will LOVE it. Happy holidays to you and yours....

Well everyone, this is my BIG update.... I know this was my first post and I am most grateful for all the replies. I have begun my second scratch rifle build.

I have another Winchester Enfield M1917 action and a McGowen 26" barrel. I have talked to MPI stocks (who built my other one) and I am building another Enfield based "Hannibal" clone. This one will be a .458 Lott.

I got a set of dies for a .460 Weatherby and still think it's an excellent cartridge. But, it can only hold two in the magazine, even for a giant Enfield action....the Lott can hold four down there. And, after talking with many of you on here....it sure looks like the .458 Lott would do all I need to do.

So, I am working on another custom Enfield. I really do like this action and will call this rifle "Big Boomer." My .375 Weatherby is "Super Boomer." I'd like a Heym 89B in .500 Nitro but until then, the Enfield turn bolts will have to get the job done :)

Wish me luck !

Well everyone, this is my BIG update.... I know this was my first post and I am most grateful for all the replies. I have begun my second scratch rifle build.

I have another Winchester Enfield M1917 action and a McGowen 26" barrel. I have talked to MPI stocks (who built my other one) and I am building another Enfield based "Hannibal" clone. This one will be a .458 Lott.

I got a set of dies for a .460 Weatherby and still think it's an excellent cartridge. But, it can only hold two in the magazine, even for a giant Enfield action....the Lott can hold four down there. And, after talking with many of you on here....it sure looks like the .458 Lott would do all I need to do.

So, I am working on another custom Enfield. I really do like this action and will call this rifle "Big Boomer." My .375 Weatherby is "Super Boomer." I'd like a Heym 89B in .500 Nitro but until then, the Enfield turn bolts will have to get the job done :)

Wish me luck !
Jeez, and I thought I was taking a cannon on my first African hunt when I used a 458 Winchester! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!