Heym 98 rifle info?

cash_tx

AH elite
Joined
Sep 6, 2021
Messages
1,870
Reaction score
6,406
Media
7
Articles
1
Hi everyone,
I have inherited this Heym rifle from my late father in 308 Win. with a Mannlicher stock and a 20.5 inch barrel, and am trying to learn what I can about these rifles. I don't know the history of where or when my Dad got this rifle; but from what I've been able to learn about the FW Heym company (and combined with what I've learned from other threads on this site), I believe what I have is called a Heym 98 (based upon a surplus 98 Mauser action) and was one of three available configurations and barrel lengths from the late 1950's and 1960's era(?). Here is a picture of the rifle and the proof mark on the barrel, which appears to be two symbols followed by the numbers "365" (interestingly, they are positioned upside down, relative to the gun). I really like this rifle, it handles and shoots like a dream, and would appreciate any additional history that you fine folks can share with me about this particular vintage of Heym rifles. Cheers!

Heym98_308_Mannlicher_22697_1.jpg


Heym98_308_Mannlicher_ProofMarks.jpg
 
Sorry I don't have any insight into the history of that rifle, but I just wanted to say--it's gorgeous! Heym has been making nice rifles for a very long time. I'd love to get ahold of one of their newer O/U doubles.
 
Very nice. Nothing like a well stocked full stock rifle. The profile gives the look of a much longer barrel than 20.5".
 
its the early model of their bolt rifles using a m98 action , later years they used their own SR20 action which is not a mauser controlled feed design , the made a big game rifle on a magnum length action and another big game rifle using that same action but the gun was designed by RALF MARTINI. your gun is probably worth 1k-1500usd ...paul
 
Thank you, all; I appreciate the compliments and the insights on that rifle.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,290
Messages
1,570,739
Members
169,003
Latest member
omarosca1985
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top