Help with info on a Manton & Co Culcutta & Delhi Type A Mauser rifle chambered in 9.3 x 62 mm

The tie on leather riser or a synthetic also helps,and easy to adjust or remove if needed.
Yes i think id rather go this route than physically alter the stock on a rifle with this kind of history. Its not my only rifle to use for hunting so there is no pressure to change it. I got this for the nostalgia of hunting with this caliber (which i had history with before) and for the historical story and appreciation of the craftsman who werr involved in its fruition.
i have a 1941 Obendorf made K98 mauser in 7.92x57 mm which i do the same with.
Otherwise most of my work/job related activity is down with my trusty Sako Brown Bear in .450 Rigby and backed with a good all S&W 629 .44 mag.

As has been written above Manton had rifles labelled with their name and were a good outlet for Mauser in India much like Chas (Charles) A Heyer of Niarobi.
You have a fine Orbendorf Mauser in a very useful cartridge.
There are a few collectors out there that specialize in these trade stamped Rifles.

Ok thanks. Other than barrel profile what else would say type A vs B?
Thanks. Must say im starting to appreciate this rifle even more since chatting with you all.

I would not change that rifle one iota if it were mine.

Here are some images / descriptions from the 1938 Stoeger Catalog:

Type A
Mauser 1939 Stoeger 'Big Game' .jpg

Type B
Mauser 39 Stoeger Model B 610.jpg

Pages 40 through 48:

Mauser Stoeger 1939 Page 40.jpg

Mauser Stoeger 1939 Page 41.jpg

Mauser Stoeger 1939 Page 42.jpg

Mauser Stoeger 1939 Page 43.jpg

Mauser Stoeger 1939 Page 44.jpg

Mauser Stoeger 1939 Page 45.jpg

Mauser Stoeger 1939 Page 46.jpg

Mauser Stoeger 1939 Page 47.jpg

Mauser Stoeger 1939 Page 48.jpg

Type A unfortunately not with factory fitted scope mounts ….

Speeds book: serial number 107671 is the closest to yours and is also a type A in 9.3x62 mm 1931 era.

Hi Brian, Wow thank you. This is awesome info and great reading.

And I agree with you, I wont be changing or modifying the rifle one bit. Love it just the way it is and for what it was intended for.

T
Speeds book: serial number 107671 is the closest to yours and is also a type A in 9.3x62 mm 1931 era.
Thank you John.
Thats very cool re the serial number and caliber of the nearest one to mine.
Mine had the scope added by one of the previous owners as definitely not factory but whats done is done now.

I suppose there is always the option of having the stock bent up a bit. It shouldn’t leave a mark. But it will no longer be period correct.
I remember wanting to get a shotgun stock bent up. The previous owner had a looong neck. It’s not possible. Plus you have to pull the bolt back to reload. The added advantage, if possible, would be minimal I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!